ABATE Rally in Algona

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
If it's 100% outdoors, then data disagrees. If they're going to be hanging out indoors, there's a good chance.

There is plenty of body contact and potential infections. There will be plenty of potential victims. Covid19 is just one of many possibilities.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Live by Algona, lots of people leave Algona this weekend anyway or stay away from town activities. I think the concern is the traffic in and out of HyVee, Casety's and the food and liquor stores. They are starting to roll into town.

Also medical personnel is concerned because of the increase hospital traffic over the 4th

I've heard rumors of you doing the naked beer slides out there buf.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
tenor.gif

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
i hope they reimburse the state and city personnel for responding to the crash when they smash their head open. I expect they aren’t on Medicare or Medicaid because I don’t want to pay for their stupidity.
I just hope they're organ donors.

CyHans

Apr 28, 2010
i hope they reimburse the state and city personnel for responding to the crash when they smash their head open. I expect they aren’t on Medicare or Medicaid because I don’t want to pay for their stupidity.
Whether they smash their heads open or not if they crash they are probably going to be picked up by first responders.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Whether they smash their heads open or not if they crash they are probably going to be picked up by first responders.

Not in the rally though. Medics are stationed at a specific place and the people are brought to you. They don't want any EMS throughout the grounds except the location they put you at.

CyHans

Apr 28, 2010
Those guys don't hate helmets. They hate having the government forcing them to wear them to protect themselves. Huge difference. I know a lot of my friends wear a helmet but don't want the government to force them to do it. I also totally agree with their right to splat their heads on the concrete if they wish.
I agree. I'm a rider myself and wear my helmet 95% of the time but I don't like the government getting so much into my life. Kind of like seat belts, I wear mine almost 100% of the time but I feel if I want to chose to not use it that I take the responsibility if I get into an accident.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
I agree. I'm a rider myself and wear my helmet 95% of the time but I don't like the government getting so much into my life. Kind of like seat belts, I wear mine almost 100% of the time but I feel if I want to chose to not use it that I take the responsibility if I get into an accident.

The problem is the shared responsibility: the Medicare and Social Security disability bills add up quickly; otherwise productive members of the workforce become a net negative. Even if you have private insurance, a more-expensive accident will negatively affect the premiums of those in your group.
I lean pretty libertarian, but even I can acknowledge the societal value of seatbelt laws.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I lean pretty libertarian, but even I can acknowledge the societal value of seatbelt laws.

I am pretty libertarian too, but how do you decide where to draw the line?

Should candles and space heaters be outlawed? Start a lot of fires.
Eliminate car radios? Distracted driving is bad.
Mandatory non-slip bathtubs? Lots of people die in falls
Ban swimming in rivers and lakes? Ban home pools? Lots of drownings...

Humans are not good at evaluating risks in general (e.g. fear of flying while driving is much less safe). And when is it wrong to limit one person's freedom in any way, even if it does benefit society in some way? Does it have to be a major societal impact, or is just any positive impact sufficient? It's obviously a philosophical question, but also a very practical one. And reasonable people may disagree on the answers.

There has been a SLIGHT amount of discussion around this concept in the Covid threads lol.

FWIW I am ok with the seatbelt law, and would not cry if Iowa passed a helmet law. My gf would not be happy about that, but she would wear one.

Reactions: pulse and ironsam

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Well, two restaurants in Algona are now freshly closed due to COVID sightings. And that's before the majority of the bikers even showed up.

Cdiedrick

Jun 26, 2014
Well, two restaurants in Algona are now freshly closed due to COVID sightings. And that's before the majority of the bikers even showed up.
They could have gotten it anywhere and not from a biker. Algona is an hour from Okoboji as well.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
They could have gotten it anywhere and not from a biker. Algona is an hour from Okoboji as well.
The bikers may be carrying it out with them after the rally at this rate. It's a town of a whopping 5,000 people, how long is from a few restaurants to HyVee and Fareway and Casey's and ...

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Didn't realize Iowa had no helmet laws until I read some posts here.

So, Iowans, a question, what percentage of motorcyclists do you estimate DO wear helmets in Iowa?

algonacy

Feb 19, 2012
Iowa
I sit here in Algona on the highway in my office looking at Highway 18 where the bikers drive past and the rumble is plenty heavy. There will be a large amount of people here. Can't predict actual numbers, but the flow of motorcycles is heavy enough I am sure it will be near the numbers they are expecting.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron