Conference realignment by Pat Forde

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
There are currently 65 P5 Football teams (including ND).

Add BYU to make 66. Then develop six regional 11-team conferences. Everybody plays everybody else in conference. Two out of conference games scheduled per team.

Conference champs make national play off with rotating seeds. One conference is seed 6 one year, then seed 5 the next then 4 - then goes back to the 6 seed the year after being 1 seed. 3 plays 4, 5 plays 6. Winners of those games play seeds 1 and 2. Winners play for championship. All play-off games at neutral (Bowl Game) sites.

This eliminates conference divisions which just muddy the water with rematches in conference championship games.

Reactions: aauummm

cc1091

Oct 10, 2007
Minneapolis
All teams in the conference play a home and home basis?
I've been to Ohio U's stadium. I have a difficult time imagining Athens Ohio inundated with how many Ohio State fans?
No. This scenario will never work Pat Forde.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Looks like every 'conference' is elevating schools in his scenario.

If it were up to me:

Kick out NDSU and the 3 MI directionals

Add:
Illinois
Northwestern
Oklahoma
OK State

If the OK schools want to stay in the southwest, add Indiana and Purdue

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
TCU has been in the Big 12 for eight years. They've been to six bowl games and won a share of a conference championship. That's better than ISU over the same time period.
It is obviously not apples to apples. I think there are inherent advantages to being able to recruit good players to come to Dallas, TX compared to Fargo, ND as well. And a coach like G
At least the Great Midwest has 8 P5 teams. The Great MidEast and Deep South only have 5.
I would say 7 in football, I mean, KU.....

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I wouldn't hate a division of ISU, Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Nebraska, Missouri, K-State and Kansas. Just a big no to the MAC and 1AA schools. Probably wouldn't be fair the them anyway.

In a future where actual fan interest is more important than cable TV population numbers this conference would be attractive from a $$$ perspective too.

Maybe not as much as we currently have with TX/OK schools but not bad.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
In a future where actual fan interest is more important than cable TV population numbers this conference would be attractive from a $$$ perspective too.

Maybe not as much as we currently have with TX/OK schools but not bad.

I don't pay enough attention and maybe it was just because they were better at the time but Missouri's fanbase seemed pretty big before they moved.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I don't pay enough attention and maybe it was just because they were better at the time but Missouri's fanbase seemed pretty big before they moved.

In a streaming subscription model wisconsin, Iowa, isu, ksu, KU and Nebraska would all easily be above average gets. I think you're right Missouri would be at some point if not already. Not sure about Minn.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
Dear Pat,

tenor.gif

Stick to the Dash and beer recommendations.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
In a streaming subscription model wisconsin, Iowa, isu, ksu, KU and Nebraska would all easily be above average gets. I think you're right Missouri would be at some point if not already. Not sure about Minn.

The problem Mizzou has and has always had is that KC and STL are both border cities. There are as many KU fans in KC metro as Mixzou fans (maybe more) and a lot of Illinois fans in STL. Then the southern population base (Joplin, Springfield) is scattered between MSU, Mizzou, OU, OSU, and Arkansas.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
I saw an interview with him about it - he knows that the "haves" won't ever go for it but it was to reduce travel costs.

Plus, we'd never be able to beat NDSU consistently :)