Help! I'm Fat - *** Official Exercise and Weight Thread ***

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I am a full 20 lbs. down and am in a range where I am comfortable. I was looking at my Fitbit history and I haven't been this light in over 4 1/2 years. My wife said something about me being too skinny but I think she is crazy. I still need to work on my core and upper body and I admit I haven't done anything to get serious about it. Maybe if I add some muscle there it will change her thinking.

Don't think it gives you six pack abs but for sustainability (which is more important/functional) side planks and flat-backed bicycle kicks can go a long ways for core stuff.

Congrats on the weight loss! Especially during the Covids.

Reactions: VeloClone

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I haven't weighed myself in a couple of weeks. Last time I was at 199. I still need to motivate myself to get back on the Bowflex to try to start reshaping.
Still doing about 95% of what I was doing to lose the 50 lbs I have lost.
It was raining this morning so I didn't get my morning walk in. Have 9,800 steps so far though so I should be able to get to 15,000 which is what I try to reach on a daily basis.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
I'm continuing to lose weight, though the pace has slowed down. Last posted on May 29 at 294, weighed in this morning at 285 - down 53 since I started on Feb 16, and down almost 80 from my heaviest about 3 years ago. I've done it all through nutrition. I'm not very active and i don't exercise enough to count for anything.

I've gone from wearing my belt in the middle to having added 4 new holes. I actually just got home from Kohls, trying to figure out what my current pant size was, but all the fitting rooms are closed due to COVID.

SayMyName

Jan 28, 2017
ABQ
I'm continuing to lose weight, though the pace has slowed down. Last posted on May 29 at 294, weighed in this morning at 285 - down 53 since I started on Feb 16, and down almost 80 from my heaviest about 3 years ago. I've done it all through nutrition. I'm not very active and i don't exercise enough to count for anything.

I've gone from wearing my belt in the middle to having added 4 new holes. I actually just got home from Kohls, trying to figure out what my current pant size was, but all the fitting rooms are closed due to COVID.
Good work, man! Keep it up, and you'll have to change your username to besserheimernotsophat.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Lost 14 lbs down from 237 to 223. Just been biking and walking a lot plus no weight lifting. Also less eating out and beer drinking.

Last edited:

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Never really weigh myself often but I'm down to my last belt loop and haven't been there in about three years. Was 230 two weeks ago, I'd guess I'm probably 220 now judging by face and arms. Going to start hitting the gym again today. Have more solid numbers after that. My job is so physically exhausting ( mostly cause it's on a concrete slab floor every day) that I wanted to slim down first to keep from damaging soft tissue in my joints. I have a lot of wear and tear from my younger years of weight lifting and sports. Coupled with repetitive motion of skilled labor I gotta take extra care to keep my body (my money maker) going.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Holding steady at 207. Since March when I stopped going to the yoga studio I've fluctuated between 207 and 215. I figure I'm good through the end of September, but once it starts getting colder out the driveway workouts I've been doing in the morning won't be an appealing option anymore. And we live in an old house with an unfinished basement and creaky old floors, so working out inside presents it's own set of problems. We're thinking about clearing out one stall in our garage, buying a space heater and using that as a cold weather home gym of sorts.
The other issue I've had is drinking too much. I've cut back recently, but for a while there a couple beers or cocktails at 5 pm replaced my commute home as the buffer zone between work and being done for the day. One downside to working from home is that I'm always just a short walk upstairs away from catching up on some emails or getting a jump on the next day. I'm having a tough time just staying away once the conventional workday is over. And while having a couple drinks was a good way to establish a clear line between work and home, it also was a real bad deal for my waistline. I had an unpleasant wakeup call when I popped the button off a pair of shorts. That's not a great feeling.

Last edited:

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013

Progress is progress my man. Be proud of how far you've come. That is awesome!

Reactions: besserheimerphat

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
As for me, I have been doing pretty well and kinda holding steady since COVID happened. I've been going on A LOT of walks. My anxiety has been through the roof, but getting out of the house helps.

The biggest thing that helps me is planning my meals. I only eat what I like, so not as many vegetables as the doctor would recommend. But from where I've been (eating out AT LEAST 10 times a week), a grilled cheese sandwich and apple slices for lunch is progress.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
As for me, I have been doing pretty well and kinda holding steady since COVID happened. I've been going on A LOT of walks. My anxiety has been through the roof, but getting out of the house helps.

The biggest thing that helps me is planning my meals. I only eat what I like, so not as many vegetables as the doctor would recommend. But from where I've been (eating out AT LEAST 10 times a week), a grilled cheese sandwich and apple slices for lunch is progress.

Would adding something into veggies help?

I've found olive oil spray and some seasoning goes a long ways, just simply fried in a pan. Occasionally I'll add in some sharp cheddar cheese.

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
Would adding something into veggies help?

I've found olive oil spray and some seasoning goes a long ways, just simply fried in a pan. Occasionally I'll add in some sharp cheddar cheese.
what do you use for seasoning on your vegetables? Also, which vegetables work good with the oil spray in a pan? I'm trying to find ways to add vegetables into our family meals while still having some flavor.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
what do you use for seasoning on your vegetables? Also, which vegetables work good with the oil spray in a pan? I'm trying to find ways to add vegetables into our family meals while still having some flavor.

I use Jane's Crazy seasoning although I'm sure just regular salt/pepper works too.

For veggies I get Wild Harvest mixed frozen veggies, or Kirkland (Costco) frozen California blend. Organic to me cooks and tastes better, and those two brands cost less than regular stuff from the store, although Wild Harvest has gone up in prices over the last year.

I'm not sure if Wild Harvest is sold anywhere in Iowa.

Takes about 7-8 minutes to cook in a pan. Adding sliced mushrooms is good too...I never liked mushrooms but fried and mixed in, they're great.

For the olive oil, for me it goes fine with anything. I'm not a cook so it kinda has to, haha.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I will slice zucchini and yellow squash about 1/4 inch thick. Add some chopped white onion and red bell pepper to the whole mess in a large fry pan. Dump a package of ranch dressing mix over and then add about 1/4 inch of chicken broth. Cover and let simmer & stir occasionally until the zucchini and squash are translucent.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Holding steady at 207. Since March when I stopped going to the yoga studio I've fluctuated between 207 and 215. I figure I'm good through the end of September, but once it starts getting colder out the driveway workouts I've been doing in the morning won't be an appealing option anymore. And we live in an old house with an unfinished basement and creaky old floors, so working out inside presents it's own set of problems. We're thinking about clearing out one stall in our garage, buying a space heater and using that as a cold weather home gym of sorts.
The other issue I've had is drinking too much. I've cut back recently, but for a while there a couple beers or cocktails at 5 pm replaced my commute home as the buffer zone between work and being done for the day. One downside to working from home is that I'm always just a short walk upstairs away from catching up on some emails or getting a jump on the next day. I'm having a tough time just staying away once the conventional workday is over. And while having a couple drinks was a good way to establish a clear line between work and home, it also was a real bad deal for my waistline. I had an unpleasant wakeup call when I popped the button off a pair of shorts. That's not a great feeling.
Alcohol contributes far too many calories to my day. If I stopped for a month and kept up every thing else I am doing I would probably lose 15 lbs.

Gossamer

Apr 10, 2014

awesome job! If you can add 1/2 hour of walking a day, you'll be amazed at what happens.

90 days ago, I couldn't jog down my street without stopping. My heart rate would spike at 185 or so...fast forward to this past week...I ran my second 5K nonstop...ok, more like jog, but I didn't walk.

My goal has been to either walk, jog or ride my bike no fewer than 30-45 minutes every single day. I do it before I eat dinner and I eat less.

I've lost 18 pounds and feel and look much healthier... :)

Last edited:

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines

A little sprinkling of parmesan on just about anything helps quite a bit. Toss some fresh broccoli with a little olive oil, salt and grated parmesan and roast it for 20 minutes. Or toss some asparagus with some olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper and parmesan and grill for five minutes, tops.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Alcohol contributes far too many calories to my day. If I stopped for a month and kept up every thing else I am doing I would probably lose 15 lbs.

I limit myself to drinking on weekends only now, and even then only in moderation. And I can tell; I feel better and when I do overdo it I pay in a big way. I knocked out a bottle of red wine last Friday and decided I wasn't drunk enough yet so I had bourbon for a nightcap. It was a rough Saturday morning.

Cybirdy

Sep 10, 2009
Ames

There is a local company out of Nevada that sells good seasonings. Our family loves their Cy Salt. It is a Mediterranean inspired seasoning but I put it on everything from veggies to chicken to burgers to steak. My kids LOVE it on chicken. Look up salt-lickers.com, they have quite a few to choose from. I know they used to do some Farmer’s Markets in the summer otherwise they do ship.

Reactions: harimad

CarterCloneFan

Dec 3, 2018
I've been lurking on this thread for a long time and when it first popped up it seriously made me look at myself in the mirror and realize I needed to make a change. After reading some of you guys' truly inspiring stories, I started my weight loss journey about the middle of February. I downloaded the my fitness pal app to track calories and workouts, and my goal was to get 10,000 steps a day. About 5 months of walks/jogs and meals tracked later, I'm down almost 50 lbs from 285 at my heaviest to 238 now. I feel and look so much better and feel motivated to keep going. Makes me sick to think how much I was eating before. Need to work on getting toned up while still losing fat. Just wanted to stop being a watcher and share the progress I've made and say congrats to everyone else on working to form healthier habits and lifestyles!

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron