NO FANS AT CYCLONE GAMES?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Y'all still think we're gonna have a season starting in less than 60 days?

Get used to the idea of it not happening now so when the announcement comes, you're not so disheartened. Title should change to "NO CYCLONE GAMES"
I think it's acceptable to think we're going to have games until it's announced we don't. LET US HAVE HOPE lol

cydsho

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Omaha, NE
I was talking to a coach of a large metro Omaha high school and he has major doubts they can play in the fall. It takes a lot of effort just to keep summer programs going and safe. Once you add in session school and more socializing during the school year PLUS playing in close physical contact with other players.....it is just really hard to do and keep people safe. I can't imagine how difficult things will be at a large university.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
Coronavirus in college football: Hospitalizations, deaths projected by data analysts if FBS plays in 2020

A noted University of Illinois computer science professor has some troubling data to consider regarding widespread infection and even death.

Dr. Sheldon Jacobson told CBS Sports he expects a 30%-50% infection rate of the approximately 13,000 players competing in FBS this season. Based on his research, he also projects 3-7 deaths among those players due to COVID-19.

"A few of them could end up in the hospital, and you'll have a small number who could die," Jacobson told CBS Sports. "I don't want to sugar coat it for you. I just want to give you the facts. … If everybody comes together under normal circumstances, we'll probably see that kind of outcome."

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...s-projected-by-data-analysts-if-fbs-plays-in/

larrysarmy

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
Coronavirus in college football: Hospitalizations, deaths projected by data analysts if FBS plays in 2020

A noted University of Illinois computer science professor has some troubling data to consider regarding widespread infection and even death.

Dr. Sheldon Jacobson told CBS Sports he expects a 30%-50% infection rate of the approximately 13,000 players competing in FBS this season. Based on his research, he also projects 3-7 deaths among those players due to COVID-19.

"A few of them could end up in the hospital, and you'll have a small number who could die," Jacobson told CBS Sports. "I don't want to sugar coat it for you. I just want to give you the facts. … If everybody comes together under normal circumstances, we'll probably see that kind of outcome."

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...s-projected-by-data-analysts-if-fbs-plays-in/

I relent. I have been anti lockdown, mitigate the most vulnerable among us in order to live with this in order to have a life without cratering people’s livelihoods, schooling and yes sports this fall. But the amount of constant coverage of surging, spiking, rising cases 24/7 is too much. Shut it all down, wait for a vaccine if that is truly the 100% solution , that is only way for what is being demanded.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I relent. I have been anti lockdown, mitigate the most vulnerable among us in order to live with this in order to have a life without cratering people’s livelihoods, schooling and yes sports this fall. But the amount of constant coverage of surging, spiking, rising cases 24/7 is too much. Shut it all down, wait for a vaccine if that is truly the 100% solution , that is only way for what is being demanded.

It's not 100% the solution, and isn't needed.

People just need to stop being idiots.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid

Lockdowns are not sustainable. No large gatherings, practice social distancing, wear a mask and wash your hands.

larrysarmy

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
Lockdowns are not sustainable. No large gatherings, practice social distancing, wear a mask and wash your hands.

Schools and colleges should have no students on site, all virtual learning. Risk is too high for compliance to what is being asked.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Nope- too much risk sir. In all aspects of life...work, play, sports.

Work and life can go on, just with adjustments.

Sports as we want them--yep, probably too much going on.

Had people taken this seriously, we might be looking at some form of sports. We made our decision.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
It's not 100% the solution, and isn't needed.

People just need to stop being idiots.

Yep.

We can prioritize what things we as a society need to function. Say for instance if we want to make it a priority to have schools open (which i think is a good thing to try to achieve), we need to prioritize those and close other things so we can keep the overall community spread #s down.

At the end of the day, when you combine the low level of necessity with the high level of risk, large events like college sports probably shouldnt happen this fall, especially not with fans. Same could probably be said for bars being open right now.

Reactions: madguy30

larrysarmy

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
Work and life can go on, just with adjustments.

Sports as we want them--yep, probably too much going on.

Had people taken this seriously, we might be looking at some form of sports. We made our decision.

The only way to be “serious” is mandated lockdowns, nationally. Not sure how any inch can be given with 120k dead

Reactions: Cyclad

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
What is the risk of hospitalization? A hospital like Mary Greeley could be overrun if a large number of students needed hospitalization due to COVID.

Not ideal but there are a lot of beds in the DM Metro area.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I was talking to a coach of a large metro Omaha high school and he has major doubts they can play in the fall. It takes a lot of effort just to keep summer programs going and safe. Once you add in session school and more socializing during the school year PLUS playing in close physical contact with other players.....it is just really hard to do and keep people safe. I can't imagine how difficult things will be at a large university.

“Chaos”, “So much extra work”, and “We won’t be able to keep this up for more than a few weeks with our current set up”.

some of the things I’ve been told from an ISU AD source.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

In a normal year, organizing a bunch of high schoolers is a task in itself and can turn into a game of wack a mole logistically.

There's too many strings to keep track of in thinking about how something like football would go with this.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Nope- too much risk sir. In all aspects of life...work, play, sports.
giphy.gif

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron