DC Extended Universe

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Yeah, Disney has been way behind the ball with their 4K blu ray and 4K streaming options, even though they have caught up a ton over the past year. Now, at least all the Star Wars and MCU movies are finally available in 4K digital and on 4K blu ray. As for your streaming problems for what quality level you have access to, that is exactly why I don't buy digital purchases on Itunes, but rather have focused my library based in Vudu. Its super complicated understanding all the intricacies, but a lot of it has to due with Apples agreements with the linking intermediary Movies Anywhere platform, as that is the connecting link to spread your movies out to all the different platforms. The biggest areas Apple falls short is that there are a few studios, most notably Paramount and Lionsgate that don't have agreements to link at all through Movies Anywhere, so if you buy a Vudu copy of those studios, it won't be available at all on movies anywhere, and it also won't link at all the Itunes, and vice versa. Then, there is the certain codes that will only give you 4K on Apple and not on Vudu and vice versa as well. Regardless, based on the most advantages by way of codes, and also being a superior streaming platform, I'd recommend everyone strongly consider Vudu as their base platform and I think you'll find a lot less code issues moving forward. Vudu also tends to have better sale deals on digital codes than Apple.

As for HBOMax's lack of 4K content, its becoming abundantly clear that in their rush to get their streaming platform online as fast as possible, they opted not to focus on certain things in order to focus on others. This rush has ultimately somewhat turned into a disaster for them with how many issues and complaints everyone has had with the service since it was launched. In the end, I do see HBOMax working out all these issues and having a good end product, but it will likely take a little while. In the meantime, I'm okay just waiting.

There are still a lot of people such as myself that don't even have 4k yet. Their priority was probably just getting the service set up to be honest. I just looked it up, only 32% of US households have a 4k tv.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
There are still a lot of people such as myself that don't even have 4k yet. Their priority was probably just getting the service set up to be honest. I just looked it up, only 32% of US households have a 4k tv.

The next TV you will purchase will most certainly be 4K. I work in commercial AV and we only install 4K-rated displays, and have for about the past 3 years. I would have to actively search for a 1080P commercial-rated display, and even then the cost difference is negligible. 4K is the new standard and 1080P is being phased out, even though the content driving the display is rarely 4K. In fact, 8K has already hit the market.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
The next TV you will purchase will most certainly be 4K. I work in commercial AV and we only install 4K-rated displays, and have for about the past 3 years. I would have to actively search for a 1080P commercial-rated display, and even then the cost difference is negligible. 4K is the new standard and 1080P is being phased out, even though the content driving the display is rarely 4K. In fact, 8K has already hit the market.

Probably. I buy a new TV about once every 15 years though so we'll be on to the thing after 4k by the time I get a new one.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
This blog claims that WB is working on a Zatanna film for the DCEU.

I've said it before, but I'll say it again: I think Zatanna is a slam-dunk character to add to DC's cinematic lineup. DC could take that character in a number of directions: it could be fun like Shazam, or they could lean into a "Justice League Dark" interpretation of the character and make something similar to Hellboy. Of course, it all comes down to casting and DC has a pretty good track-record.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
This blog claims that WB is working on a Zatanna film for the DCEU.

I've said it before, but I'll say it again: I think Zatanna is a slam-dunk character to add to DC's cinematic lineup. DC could take that character in a number of directions: it could be fun like Shazam, or they could lean into a "Justice League Dark" interpretation of the character and make something similar to Hellboy. Of course, it all comes down to casting and DC has a pretty good track-record.

I don't know. I've always admittedly been a Marvel guy but I literally have no clue who Zatanna is and I'd put myself in the upper echelon of comic book dorks.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
I don't know. I've always admittedly been a Marvel guy but I literally have no clue who Zatanna is and I'd put myself in the upper echelon of comic book dorks.
A good comparison would be that she is the DC-equivalent of Dr Strange. Her character had a really great arc in the Young Justice animated series.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA

I could be wrong, but I'd probably call her a tier-2 level female DC superhero. I'd put Wonder Woman, Batgirl and Supergirl above her for sure, but I'd call her probably on an equivalent level with the likes of Hawk Girl, Black Canary or Mera. So, she could arguably be on a top 5 female list for sure. There are other more popular female DC characters not on my list, but I'd classify them more as villains than heroines. Throwing male/female aside, in terms of overall popularity, not only is the Doctor Strange comparison a good one by way of powers, but I'd also call the two characters very similar by way of overall popularity too in their respective universes. Honestly, I'm stoked to hear of a Zatanna movie possibly in the works, as it may be the #1 female solo outing movie I'd like to see due to her uniqueness of powers and not being a derivative character from a male counterpart. Therefore, I'm not surprised at all that its on the forefront for WB. She could make for a great movie.

Last edited:

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/just...out-joss-whedon-accusations-a176607#gs.9mv7ic

It does look to be only in the early stages for Ray Fisher's grievances with Joss Whedon. Will be interesting to see where it goes from here and the repercussions to both of their futures. It is interesting to note that even though Joss is no longer working on a Batgirl movie for WB, he is still currently on under their employment as the creator for their upcoming HBO series "The Nevers".

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/h...1302540?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Warner Bros has officially announced Matt Reeves is developing an HBO Max TV spinoff set in the same world as his upcoming Batman movie. It will feature some of the same characters and will center around the Gotham PD. Honestly, as someone who has watched most of the Gotham TV show seasons on Fox (I just eventually gave up due to quality), it sure does sound a lot like what that show was about, with the biggest differences being that this isn't a prequel with a young Bruce Wayne rather than a grown Batman, and this takes place in the same movie universe.

UnCytely

SuperFanatic
Sep 24, 2017
Council Bluffs, Iowa
Newest rumor for the DCEU: JJ Abrams is looking to produce a Constantine film and bring back Keanu Reeves to star.

Keanu Reeves is the new Harrison Ford. By that I mean, he is cast in every single role that comes along. An actor can be over-used, this happened with Ford playing Jack Ryan. I fear the same thing with Keanu Reeves playing Constantine. Reeves was OK in the movie, but Matt Ryan absolutely hit it out of the park as Constantine in the TV series. He should be kept for a second movie.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Somewhat big news from WB today:

The release date for Tenet, the new Christopher Nolan film, has been removed and there will be an "imminent" announcement regarding the theatrical release plans for the film. The movie was supposed to drop Aug 12 (after being pushed back twice previously). Here is what Tony Emmerich, CEO of WB, had to say:

"We will share a new 2020 release date imminently for Tenet, Christopher Nolan’s wholly original and mind-blowing feature. We are not treating Tenet like a traditional global day-and-date release, and our upcoming marketing and distribution plans will reflect that."
This could be the blueprint other studios, such as Disney, could follow in the coming months. According to the article, this will not change the release date for Wonder Woman 1984 (Oct 2).

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/tv/d...fering-yearly-subscriptions-a176994#gs.bfsclt

Yet another critical blow made to DC Universe Streaming service yesterday, as they apparently no longer are even offering yearly subscriptions to their service. So, if we weren't already positive that ship is done sailing the high seas soon, this pretty much fully confirms it. There is no "if" left in the sails, but just seems a matter of exactly "when".

Last edited:

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Unsurprisingly, Patty Jenkins goes on the record stating that:
* There will be a third Wonder Woman movie
* That movie will likely be her last as director