RECRUITING: Cyclones contact Tamin Lipsey on the first official day of 2022 recruiting

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
May I ask why you think that?

If Hoiberg leaves for the NBA or a non D1
job after the 21-22 season, his buyout is only $500k. If he leaves for any reason after 23-24 it’s $0. And if he hasn’t had success to justify leaving by 23-24, UNL may be ready to move on.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Definitely interested to see if Lipsey climbs in the rankings again now that he is healthy.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
job after the 21-22 season, his buyout is only $500k. If he leaves for any reason after 23-24 it’s $0. And if he hasn’t had success to justify leaving by 23-24, UNL may be ready to move on.

Informative. Thank you.

I doubt any NBA teams are going to want to look at him after he flamed out in Chicago and after his (so far, terrible) tenure in Nebraska so far.

Considering his recruiting foibles up to this point... good players leaving him, a backyard guy committing them bailing to Oklahoma State... I am not sure he is going to turn it around anytime soon. I am not trying to disparage Fred there, but Nebraska is historically a graveyard when it comes to college basketball coaches.

So your setup makes sense.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Informative. Thank you.

I doubt any NBA teams are going to want to look at him after he flamed out in Chicago and after his (so far, terrible) tenure in Nebraska so far.

Considering his recruiting foibles up to this point... good players leaving him, a backyard guy committing them bailing to Oklahoma State... I am not sure he is going to turn it around anytime soon. I am not trying to disparage Fred there, but Nebraska is historically a graveyard when it comes to college basketball coaches.

FYI The backyard kid wasn't good from what I have read so that was no loss.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Definitely interested to see if Lipsey climbs in the rankings again now that he is healthy.

Agree. Just needs the evaluators to see he's healthy and he'll regain his pre injury ranking. Hope the staff keeping Lipsey a priority through the rough times goes a long way when he's ready to decide.
There are things to criticize about Prohm but I don't think his relationships and his desire to help his players is genuine.

peteypie

Jun 20, 2007
Agree. Just needs the evaluators to see he's healthy and he'll regain his pre injury ranking. Hope the staff keeping Lipsey a priority through the rough times goes a long way when he's ready to decide.
There are things to criticize about Prohm but I don't think his relationships and his desire to help his players is genuine.
Not to mention Prohm's ability to get a PG to the pros should help in the Lipsey recruitment

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
Informative. Thank you.

I tend to think smart NBA GMs would consider him if (BIG IF) there’s some success at Nebraska.

From https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25442532/the-bulls-fred-hoiberg-ton-work-left

The bottom line is this: If you know after those three-plus seasons that Hoiberg is either a good or a bad NBA coach, I am both impressed and a little worried about the confidence you have in your convictions. I freely admit I have little idea. The Bulls have had zero on-court identity over that entire span, and a lot of that confusion -- likely most of it -- lays at the feet of Gar Forman and John Paxson above him.​

Now: does this impact Lipsey’s decision-making? No idea. There is an equal chance that ISU could have significant staff shakeups in the next 2 years, too. Glad my kids take after their father and will never have to worry about any of this.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Was going to give this a fast disagree, but I don’t think you meant what you said.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I tend to think smart NBA GMs would consider him if (BIG IF) there’s some success at Nebraska.

From https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25442532/the-bulls-fred-hoiberg-ton-work-left

The bottom line is this: If you know after those three-plus seasons that Hoiberg is either a good or a bad NBA coach, I am both impressed and a little worried about the confidence you have in your convictions. I freely admit I have little idea. The Bulls have had zero on-court identity over that entire span, and a lot of that confusion -- likely most of it -- lays at the feet of Gar Forman and John Paxson above him.​

Now: does this impact Lipsey’s decision-making? No idea. There is an equal chance that ISU could have significant staff shakeups in the next 2 years, too. Glad my kids take after their father and will never have to worry about any of this.

Banking your career (and all the money and ego that implies) on a guy who flamed out in Chicago after a good (but not absolutely stunning) run in Ames before... well, nothing much in Lincoln so far, who knows... is going to take a really brave GM.

But hey, Tim Floyd got a second shot. Some NBA teams are reliability stupid.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa

I think this year will be telling for Fred. He pretty well cleaned house at NU when he got there, so his roster was mostly transfers and freshman last year. I am not sure, but it seems like he has several sitout transfers that will play this year.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I think this year will be telling for Fred. He pretty well cleaned house at NU when he got there, so his roster was mostly transfers and freshman last year. I am not sure, but it seems like he has several sitout transfers that will play this year.

He does, but they are not exactly a murderers' row.

upload_2020-7-1_12-27-36.png

BT says two okayish starters and two bench scrubs.

Allen looks like a good JUCO, and Webster was one of the better mid-major transfers looking to make his way up to a high-major program.

But the above is not exactly Royce White, Deandre Kane, and Will Clyburn.

CyPunch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA

View attachment 73206

Allen looks like a good JUCO, and Webster was one of the better mid-major transfers looking to make his way up to a high-major program.

I think Kobe Webster will be a below average starter in the Big 10.

They really need McGowens to get a waiver.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013

At this point I think you'd say Teddy Allen is notable, the other sitouts not really. One decent guy from Pitt I believe, on guy that was a strangely highly ranked recruit out of HS that ended up at Western Kentucky and didn't do much.

Correct the Lincoln decommit really tanked in the rankings, so that probably wasn't a big loss. If Kobe King would've ended up going to Nebraska things would've been looking promising, especially in two years. Now that he's not, there is a lot riding on an interesting guy in Teddy Allen. The guy can flat out score, but this will be his 4th school.

They lose their best player from last year. They return a couple decent guys. The talent overall will be better, but it's not going to be great.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013

View attachment 73206

If Elijah Wood snagged that ring of power, he's going to be sneaky good.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Anyway, back to Lipsey, I know the guys that have been training him, and they said physically he is all the way back and then some.

It's probably going to take until next summer's AAU circuit for him to climb back up the rankings, but I suspect it will happen.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
If Elijah Wood snagged that ring of power, he's going to be sneaky good.

Evil Frodo would be a monster on the boards.

frodoasgollum-thumb-330x467-107973.jpg

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015

View attachment 73206

This guy wins for best name though
upload_2020-7-1_11-46-18.png

Reactions: jcyclonee