***Official 2019-2020 Transfer Thread***

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
I do not see why you can arbitrarily drop the Texas game.

I could say you should arbitrarily drop the worst game without Haliburton, which was the Florida A&M game. They were clearly out of sorts without their floor general out there on short notice, and the level of effort was just awful the whole day.

I could also argue you should drop the last few games without Bolton.

The point is -- we were not incredible on offense last year, but we did not regress when we lost a point god. We were steady or even slightly improved. The point is you can rely on Bolton and Young as the foundation of your offense. There is no evidence we need a very strict distributional PG, especially one with mediocre numbers from a mediocre team in a low-major conference like Buggs, to somehow "keep things going" because "things went to heck without Tyrese... we need a PG! Even if not very talented!"

No, they did not, and no, we do not.

We need to hit shots, rebound, and play defense with more gusto than a pink lawn flamingo and four lawn chairs like we did last season.

Having a formal pass-first PG is like fifth on my list of improvements to make.

My response wasn’t so much a defense that we need a Halliburton or Morris type point guard but rather a critique on the fact that our offense was “just fine” last year.

The three point line moving back was certainly an issue but we scored 61 points or less on 8 occasions last year. That is 25% of our games. If you look at the seven years that we made the NCAA Tournament back to 2012 there were a total of 8 times we didn’t break 61 points. That is over about 235 games.
I agree that the defense was horrendous last year, but our offense will have to make substantial strides as well this year if we are to make the tournament. If history shows us anything under Prohm/Hoiberg you can’t have an offense that doesn’t crack 61 in a quarter of their games and make the tournament. (For reference it happened on 7 occasions in 2017-18)

Reactions: Sigmapolis

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
I do not see why you can arbitrarily drop the Texas game.

I could say you should arbitrarily drop the worst game without Haliburton, which was the Florida A&M game. They were clearly out of sorts without their floor general out there on short notice, and the level of effort was just awful the whole day.

I could also argue you should drop the last few games without Bolton.

The point is -- we were not incredible on offense last year, but we did not regress when we lost a point god. We were steady or even slightly improved. The point is you can rely on Bolton and Young as the foundation of your offense. There is no evidence we need a very strict distributional PG, especially one with mediocre numbers from a mediocre team in a low-major conference like Buggs, to somehow "keep things going" because "things went to heck without Tyrese... we need a PG! Even if not very talented!"

No, they did not, and no, we do not.

We need to hit shots, rebound, and play defense with more gusto than a pink lawn flamingo and four lawn chairs like we did last season.

Having a formal pass-first PG is like fifth on my list of improvements to make.

I do think some get to much in the mindset that you need a PG/SG/SF/PF/C on the floor rather than what the staff appears to be trying for Combo guards/forwards that switch between all. It is great to have a Monte running the point but if the roster doesn't have that guy rather than force on player to facilitate every time down the court letting anyone 1-4 play start the offense can be more effective since it causes match up problems for the defense. Some of ISU's recent most successful teams used point forwards.
The problem last year was not having any B12 quality combo guards other than Bolton/Haliburton and when Tyrese went down it forced Rasir into that role and defenses could easily identify and set their best match ups against the sets. Plus neither Jacobson or Young can initiate the offense on their end (or leave the paint). ISU was too predictable with their personnel and sets they could run. Hopefully with the influx of wing/guard talent that issue is fixed.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
A lot of the guards we recruited this off season weren’t facilitator. We were “linked” to a few that we didn’t even offer. We offered some obviously, but let’s not act like Prohm was going hard after facilitators. He was going hard after guards, like the two who we got.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
PG height isn’t a prerequisite for a good defense nor is one player. Nice to have but if there is a position that height maters the least is at PG.
Jared Harper from Auburn was a legit 5'10" the year Auburn made the Final 4.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
A lot of the guards we recruited this off season weren’t facilitator. We were “linked” to a few that we didn’t even offer. We offered some obviously, but let’s not act like Prohm was going hard after facilitators. He was going hard after guards, like the two who we got.
We lacked a ton of talent last year. We're bringing in our best recruiting class as well as 3 talented guards who all played high major bball and all were top 3 in scoring on their respective teams... People on here, including me, were hammering Prohm for not having talent on last year's roster but now that we do, some on here are going to rail him for not having a guy that is a tremendous passer? Smh.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
We lacked a ton of talent last year. We're bringing in our best recruiting class as well as 3 talented guards who all played high major bball and all were top 3 in scoring on their respective teams... People on here, including me, were hammering Prohm for not having talent on last year's roster but now that we do, some on here are going to rail him for not having a guy that is a tremendous passer? Smh.

Im least worried about passing with Prohm running the show. Apparently he already turned Johnson into a good passer too.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Im least worried about passing with Prohm running the show. Apparently he already turned Johnson into a good passer too.
You don't have to be a great passer, you just need to be a good decision maker. If Johnson is a good decision maker, that's all I care about and all anyone else should care about.

We're going to look very different next year. If we get the waivers, this team could be the deepest team Steve Prohm has coached.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I know a lot of people are just assuming we will bank our remaining scholarship, which I'd agree is likely. However, if there is any good sit-out guys available out there still available, I think we'd be remiss not to go after them. With that said, is there any good potential sit-out targets out there?

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
My response wasn’t so much a defense that we need a Halliburton or Morris type point guard but rather a critique on the fact that our offense was “just fine” last year.

The three point line moving back was certainly an issue but we scored 61 points or less on 8 occasions last year. That is 25% of our games. If you look at the seven years that we made the NCAA Tournament back to 2012 there were a total of 8 times we didn’t break 61 points. That is over about 235 games.
I agree that the defense was horrendous last year, but our offense will have to make substantial strides as well this year if we are to make the tournament. If history shows us anything under Prohm/Hoiberg you can’t have an offense that doesn’t crack 61 in a quarter of their games and make the tournament. (For reference it happened on 7 occasions in 2017-18)

Well they had a top 50 offense. That is certainly fine. If they had the 50th ranked defense they would have had several more wins. Not to mention part of the problem with the offense was that ISU just didn't enough guys who could knock down open shots.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Only way another player is added is if there is a really good late transfer. And that would probably only happen if guys pull their name out of the draft and decide to transfer.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Only way another player is added is if there is a really good late transfer. And that would probably only happen if guys pull their name out of the draft and decide to transfer.

Right, I am sure the staff is looking at the portal wire. I don't think they are looking at any current available transfers but if a high level player enters that fits they'd reach out.
Much like Hinson who was a late in announcing his transfer and thus target/add.

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011
You're not wrong. I would still throw an offer out to Carte'Are Gordon as a mid season guy. We need someone to replace Solo next year and Carter is very talented. If he is to much of a head case send him packing after this year.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Well they had a top 50 offense. That is certainly fine. If they had the 50th ranked defense they would have had several more wins. Not to mention part of the problem with the offense was that ISU just didn't enough guys who could knock down open shots.

If we just look at last year on BT, a hypothetical team that was #50 in both...

Scores 109.3 per 100 (#50 was Iowa State, obviously)

Gives up 94.7 per 100 (a tie between K-St, Oklahoma State, SJU, and Maryland)

109.3 minus 94.7 per 100 = +14.6 per 100

Teams around that last year...

#36 Indiana... 20-12 (9-11 in the Big Ten), BT had them projected as a #10 seed
#37 Oklahoma... 19-12 (9-9 in the B12), projected as a #9 seed
#38 Utah State... 26-8 (12-6 and MWC co-champions), projected as a #10 seed
#39 Auburn... 25-6 (12-6 in the SEC), projected as a #6 seed

I would be tickled if we had any of the above seasons next year.

We, in comparison, were #90 and went 12-20 (5-13).

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006

....a really good late transfer who can play PG or facilitate offense (like Gach).

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
You're not wrong. I would still throw an offer out to Carte'Are Gordon as a mid season guy. We need someone to replace Solo next year and Carter is very talented. If he is to much of a head case send him packing after this year.

I hope Prohm doesn't waste his time with this.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
....a really good late transfer who can play PG or facilitate offense (like Gach).
Rasir Bolton averaged 2.8 assists to 2.8 turnovers last year. Both Gach averaged 2.9 assists and 2.8 turnovers last year. Both would've been a great get, but let's not act like he was John Stockton.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
If we just look at last year on BT, a hypothetical team that was #50 in both...

Scores 109.3 per 100 (#50 was Iowa State, obviously)

Gives up 94.7 per 100 (a tie between K-St, Oklahoma State, SJU, and Maryland)

109.3 minus 94.7 per 100 = +14.6 per 100

Teams around that last year...

#36 Indiana... 20-12 (9-11 in the Big Ten), BT had them projected as a #10 seed
#37 Oklahoma... 19-12 (9-9 in the B12), projected as a #9 seed
#38 Utah State... 26-8 (12-6 and MWC co-champions), projected as a #10 seed
#39 Auburn... 25-6 (12-6 in the SEC), projected as a #6 seed

I would be tickled if we had any of the above seasons next year.

We, in comparison, were #90 and went 12-20 (5-13).

The problem is that we have finished in the Top 50 in defense efficiency exactly three times in the last 19 years. #9 in 2005 with Wayne Morgan, #47 in 2018-19 and #42 in 2016-17. Versus finishing in the Top 12 in offensive efficiency in 6 of the last 8 years. I know there are different ways to skin a cat, but ultimately we haven’t shown the ability to be anything better that mediocre on defense for the last 15 years.