NO FANS AT CYCLONE GAMES?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
I'm not sure how, but I do think you need to start from a position of mandating it.

Many leaders in this country spent months dismissing the idea of wearing masks. They mocked people that wore masks. They acted like it was affront to their freedom. Imagine if all leaders in this country were on the same page and encouraged all people to wear masks and social distance?

To get it back to the subject of this thread, I completely understand that Iowa State cannot ensure that everyone attending a football is in a mask for the entire game. But I think the change in posture to mandate that everyone have one to get in (vs. the previous idea that we didn't need one to get in), will ensure that more people do wear them. It gives people "permission" to wear them. There are far too many people that care what other people think and don't want to look stupid by wearing a mask.

I don't know how this will pertain to enforcement at Jack Trice, but masks/face shields will be required at most buildings on campus:

https://web.iastate.edu/safety/updates/covid19

June 24, 2020
Face coverings and/or face shields will be required in classrooms, offices, and other areas where physical distancing is not possible, effective Wednesday, July 1.
Per President Wintersteen's email regarding the policy:

Requiring face coverings is important to help mitigate the risk of COVID-19 as we return to a residential campus and support our academic mission. Face coverings are a key element of our “new normal.” Modeling this requirement and educating our campus with care and compassion are how we can help everyone understand the importance of this and other mitigation efforts. We do not want face coverings to become a source of conflict on our campus. Creating positive reinforcement regarding wearing face coverings is the best method to encourage compliance. Where this does not work, enforcement policies and procedures, which are currently being formed, will be applied. In general, faculty and staff should contact their own supervisor, and students should contact the Dean of Students Office, regarding issues related to individuals failing to wear face coverings.

Last edited:

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
I don't know how this will pertain to enforcement at Jack Trice, but masks/face shields will be required at most buildings on campus:

https://web.iastate.edu/safety/updates/covid19

June 24, 2020
Face coverings and/or face shields will be required in classrooms, offices, and other areas where physical distancing is not possible, effective Wednesday, July 1.
Per President Wintersteen's email regarding the policy:

Requiring face coverings is important to help mitigate the risk of COVID-19 as we return to a residential campus and support our academic mission. Face coverings are a key element of our “new normal.” Modeling this requirement and educating our campus with care and compassion are how we can help everyone understand the importance of this and other mitigation efforts. We do not want face coverings to become a source of conflict on our campus. Creating positive reinforcement regarding wearing face coverings is the best method to encourage compliance. Where this does not work, enforcement policies and procedures, which are currently being formed, will be applied. In general, faculty and staff should contact their own supervisor, and students should contact the Dean of Students Office, regarding issues related to individuals failing to wear face coverings.
Boy, there will be a lot of unhappy posters on this board! Good for Wendy!

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Boy, there will be a lot of unhappy posters on this board! Good for Wendy!

It's almost like she is a president at an institute of higher learning focused on science ;)

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
There is a natural tendency to diminish that which we fear in the hopes somehow we’ll will it away. I think of it like my 4 year old thinking I can’t see him if he covers his eyes. If we play peekaboo, COVID will surely run away.

Unfortunately, science doesn’t work that way. Pandemics don’t work that way. Only tough measures (see many other civilized countries as a good example... Japan, South Korea, New Zealand, etc) and a public willing to be uncomfortable for more than a weekend will support.

If the govt won’t give a consistent answer, and even the simplest things like masks are too restive and oppressive for some, we really have no hope of doing anything other than waiting for a vaccine. Americans are to full of themselves to put up with somebody telling them something for their own good and too polarized to have any coherent and responsible response.

While this doesn’t have to be so bad, we’re past the point of no return with how difficult we’ve made it.

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
NYC screwed up sending sick people back to the nursing homes.
Guess what...problems with similar issues in Iowa!

I have a client doc who is the medical officer for several "nursing homes" and he is like a voice in the wilderness in advocating for alternatives to returning/admitting COVID positive patients!

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
There is a natural tendency to diminish that which we fear in the hopes somehow we’ll will it away. I think of it like my 4 year old thinking I can’t see him if he covers his eyes. If we play peekaboo, COVID will surely run away.

Unfortunately, science doesn’t work that way. Pandemics don’t work that way. Only tough measures (see many other civilized countries as a good example... Japan, South Korea, New Zealand, etc) and a public willing to be uncomfortable for more than a weekend will support.

If the govt won’t give a consistent answer, and even the simplest things like masks are too restive and oppressive for some, we really have no hope of doing anything other than waiting for a vaccine. Americans are to full of themselves to put up with somebody telling them something for their own good and too polarized to have any coherent and responsible response.

While this doesn’t have to be so bad, we’re past the point of no return with how difficult we’ve made it.

Agree. It's interesting that every time I have the TV on for any length of time some company is posting a commercial about how we are all in it together etc etc, some of it transparently self-serving but a surprising amount seemingly very much public interest oriented in encouraging distancing and other actions. And not a single public service govt message encouraging any cooperative action whatsoever. Just odd as all get out. It's not like the govt doesn't do any public service messaging, think drunk driving, distracted driving, flood insurance etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cyclad

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
It's interesting that every time I have the TV on for any length of time some company is posting a commercial about how we are all in it together etc etc, some of it transparently self-serving but a surprising amount seemingly very much public interest oriented in encouraging distancing and other actions. And not a single public service govt message encouraging any cooperative action whatsoever. Just odd as all get out. It's not like the govt doesn't do any public service messaging, think drunk driving, distracted driving, flood insurance etc.

Do you know anyone that has had COVID? Have you seen any dead bodies? I can’t wait to see how many of these “dead” people vote blue in November. Hoax.

Win5002

Apr 20, 2010
Hospitalizations are skyrocketing in the worst impacted areas of Texas, Florida, and Arizona. I'm not going to do your homework for you and link to all the hospitals and public health warnings, but if you log off Fox News log enough, you should be able to find them.

here was a Sr. Exec for a hospital chain and he is saying the hospital volumes in Texas are due to people not going to the hospital for illness other than covid. People were too scared to go unfortunately and many times are seriously ill from other things. He also discloses there is a financial incentives for hospitals even now to diagnosis for covid. If this is so bad why are deaths not starting to spike?

Reactions: CYdways432

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
here was a Sr. Exec for a hospital chain and he is saying the hospital volumes in Texas are due to people not going to the hospital for illness other than covid. People were too scared to go unfortunately and many times are seriously ill from other things. He also discloses there is a financial incentives for hospitals even now to diagnosis for covid. If this is so bad why are deaths not starting to spike?

How is this being asked after 4 months?

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

Alex Berenson. **** me. Head of the COVID truthers.

arobb

Jan 4, 2014
Covid19 patients in the ICU are down to almost a 3 month low, even with things significantly opened back up for several weeks. Either treatments are getting more effective or the virus is weakening. Good news either way.

Screenshot_20200630-054824_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Last edited:

Turn2

May 12, 2011
Clusterfunkeny
Covid19 patients in the ICU are down to almost a 3 month low, even with things significantly opened back up for several weeks. Either treatments are getting more effective or the virus is weakening. Good news either way.

View attachment 73148
Neither. Well, maybe the former to a small extent. The majority of those infected are now in the 18-40 age group.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
Neither. Well, maybe the former to a small extent. The majority of those infected are now in the 18-40 age group.
Thank goodness they do not have parents, grandparents, aunts or uncles and never come in contact with anybody older than them. Whew! Mission accomplished!

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Thank goodness they do not have parents, grandparents, aunts or uncles and never come in contact with anybody older than them. Whew! Mission accomplished!

At this point you'd think people would almost naturally be informed enough to know that if they chose to go out to a bar or whatever, that they shouldn't then go hang out with family etc.

But sadly that won't be the case.

fsanford

Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
Look if the numbers keep rising on the 18-30 year old demographic, you could see teams have to forfeit games this fall due to number of kids sitting in quarantine

Still not sure how they are going to avoid this one..