***Official 2019-2020 Transfer Thread***

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006

The addition of Hinson salvaged Spring Transfer recruiting to some extent but that article doesn't address the biggest remaining roster gap of who will facilitate next season's offense. Spring transfer recruiting did not bring in a proven PG or facilitator.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
The addition of Hinson salvaged Spring Transfer recruiting to some extent but that article doesn't address the biggest remaining roster gap of who will facilitate next season's offense. Spring transfer recruiting did not bring in a proven PG or facilitator.
You will go out of the way to spoil something good won't you?

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
You will go out of the way to spoil something good won't you?
Some of you little boys are overly sensitive.

Who is a proven PG/Facilitator on next season's projected roster? Spring transfer recruiting should have addressed that gap, correct?

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Some of you little boys are overly sensitive.

Who is a proven PG/Facilitator on next season's projected roster? Spring transfer recruiting should have addressed that gap, correct?
Bolton, Harris, and JCL all played PG at some capacity in their prior years. Was that their best position? No. Can they do it by committee? Yes. Johnson has also been talked about as being able to run the point position. And we're not being "overly sensitive", you're being overly critical.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Funny that @cykadelic2 keeps complaining that we lack a "facilitator" and that is going to somehow be a fundamental flaw... Yet, he/she/it never replied to my post about how our offensive efficiency went up (slightly) when Haliburton went down.

Not really worried about that here. We'll be fine. Yes, a point god Morris type is nice, but having several guys who can move the ball and initiate the offense (such as we did in 2019) is fine, too. I am still worried if we can throw together more than a slapdash defense, which really was the problem last year and traditionally.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Funny of @cykadelic2 keeps complaining that we lack a "facilitator" and that is going to somehow be a fundamental flaw... Yet, he/she/it never replied to my post about how our offensive efficiency went up (slightly) when Haliburton went down.
Or how good of a passer Halliburton was / is, and yet we were still awful.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Bolton, Harris, and JCL all played PG at some capacity in their prior years. Was that their best position? No. Can they do it by committee? Yes. Johnson has also been talked about as being able to run the point position. And we're not being "overly sensitive", you're being overly critical.

JCL has never played PG in his prior 3 seasons at Illinois and DePaul. Harris was shifted to backup SG at Memphis due to his lack of playmaking production and his PT was also limited due to his lack of length defensively. Bolton was 4th at PSU in apg and 2nd at ISU last season. Moving him to the primary lead PG detracts from his scoring, which is best on the team. Johnson was Scout team PG by necessity. Walker is an unproven frosh PG.

Based on these facts, stating that Spring recruiting didn't adequately address the PG/facilitator gap with proven talent is far from being overly critical.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
IM not sure how this next season is going to go without knowing who is eligible and who is not. I will say this though, Our roster is finally starting to be built long term instead of one and done types. Most of our transfers have two years, we have several young freshman. I like the way it's finally going to be easier long terms where we can add pieces to our future instead of trying to build the future every single season for the next season.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
JCL has never played PG in his prior 3 seasons at Illinois and DePaul. Harris was shifted to backup SG at Memphis due to his lack of playmaking production and his PT was also limited due to his lack of length defensively. Bolton was 4th at PSU in apg and 2nd at ISU last season. Moving him to the primary lead PG detracts from his scoring, which is best on the team. Johnson was Scout team PG by necessity. Walker is an unproven frosh PG.

Based on these facts, stating that Spring recruiting didn't adequately address the PG/facilitator gap with proven talent is far from being overly critical.
That article was talking us up and giving us credit with how we did this spring, and your ONLY comment was "well they didn't address the fact that we don't have a proven point guard". I'm not even saying that's not true, I'm saying you're putting far too much weight into that.

Reactions: Pizzapitter

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Funny that @cykadelic2 keeps complaining that we lack a "facilitator" and that is going to somehow be a fundamental flaw... Yet, he/she/it never replied to my post about how our offensive efficiency went up (slightly) when Haliburton went down.

I would like to see your numbers on that. Even if the efficiency went up, the offense was far from being the quality necessary for a NCAA tourney team.

We were 2-7 without TH, including a win over a depleted Texas team at home. Scored 71 in 3 of those games plus the 82 against Texas. Texas was the only game where the team shot over 50%. All of the other games without TH didn't come close to 50% FG shooting.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I would like to see your numbers on that. Even if the efficiency went up, the offense was far from being the quality necessary for a NCAA tourney team.

We were 2-7 without TH, including a win over a depleted Texas team at home. Scored 71 in 3 of those games plus the 82 against Texas. Texas was the only game where the team shot over 50%. All of the other games without TH didn't come close to 50% FG shooting.

https://cyclonefanatic.com/forum/th...-transfer-thread.250935/page-246#post-7219154

You want to complain about the offense, but check out the D.

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
That article was talking us up and giving us credit with how we did this spring, and your ONLY comment was "well they didn't address the fact that we don't have a proven point guard". I'm not even saying that's not true, I'm saying you're putting far too much weight into that.

Yup. His comment was the equivalent of "the glass is 10% empty."

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Yup. His comment was the equivalent of "the glass is 10% empty."
I'm not going to get pissed at Prohm for not getting a true PG. He tried on a couple and they went to other very good schools. He was not going to take the lower tier PG's and instead got some highly talented guards. I'd take all three of these guys over a mid major PG who had a good A/TO ratio.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I'm not going to get pissed at Prohm for not getting a true PG. He tried on a couple and they went to other very good schools. He was not going to take the lower tier PG's and instead got some highly talented guards. I'd take all three of these guys over a mid major PG who had a good A/TO ratio.

"Mid-major" is pretty generous to Hawaii and the Big West.

That was the 19th conference last year on Sports Reference.

Ahead of the Summit League and behind the Big Sky Conference.

I hear "mid-major" and I think decent conferences like the American, the West Coast Conference, the Mountain West, the A-10, and the Missouri Valley.

The Big West was another two or so tiers below even those.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
"Mid-major" is pretty generous to Hawaii and the Big West.

That was the 19th conference last year on Sports Reference.

Ahead of the Summit League and behind the Big Sky Conference.

I hear "mid-major" and I think decent conferences like the American, the West Coast Conference, the Mountain West, the A-10, and the Missouri Valley.

The Big West was another two or so tiers below even those.
I honestly was saying "in general" when alluding to the mid major PG. I forgot about Buggs. But your point still 100% stands.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
I honestly was saying "in general" when alluding to the mid major PG. I forgot about Buggs. But your point still 100% stands.

Buggs is going to be a polarizing topic for a lot of posters the rest of the summer and whether Prohm should have not slow played his commitment the rest of the season.
(Much like local small PG UNI commit who will not be named for fear of ruining this thread)

Reactions: heitclone

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Buggs is going to be a polarizing topic for a lot of posters the rest of the summer and whether Prohm should have not slow played his commitment the rest of the season.
(Much like local small PG UNI commit who will not be named for fear of ruining this thread)
Yeah let's not mention his name. Lol

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011
Thank god we have more to go off of than an article.