Best Steak in Ames Area?

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
That is usually what I order, too, as I still have a little extra left over. I've shared the filet before (the portions are huge!), and it was also fantastic. I love au poivre, also. I usually go bernaise just because it's also a great dip for the duck frites!

The service is so awesome. I totally put my foot in my mouth once there with our waiter (I mean, Janny had to wonder how much to tack onto the tip for "accidental racism") - and he took the time to figure out what I was bumbling about and answer my question with a smile. GREAT waiters. We go pretty well every year for New Year's.

I would like to know more about this story, but barring that at least explain what duck frites are.

• Funny
Reactions: Angie

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I would like to know more about this story, but barring that at least explain what duck frites are.

I'll start with explaining the duck frites. They're thin-cut french fries that are fried in duck fat. SUPER-flavorful. They have a harissa ketchup or aioli or something else that is really good that they serve as a standard sauce, and you can order other sauces.

So, we were going to Django for our anniversary with my best friend and her husband. These poor souls have seen me make an ass out of myself at dinner many a time. One time I pronounced jicama as "Juh-cah-muh." Another I asked the waitress what a caper tasted like (this was before I'd realized what they were, even though I'd had them before), and she said "salty bud," but I misheard her and asked, "Did you just say they taste like a 'salty butt'?" The point of that backstory is to explain that they realize that I can be a total fool.

Anyway. We walk in the front door, and they have a sandwich-style sign announcing that the featured dessert that night was a "chocolate hazelnut creme brulee." Janny is the cook in our house, so he explained to me as we walked in that it was code for Nutella creme brulee (I have a big ol' Nutella boner in general), but that they couldn't really say Nutella.

Alex, our waiter, is coming to take our order, and tells us the specials. He talks about the minced lamb entree, the garlic mushroom appetizer, and then he got to the desserts. It went sort of like this:

Alex: "And for dessert, we have a delicious chocolate hazelnut creme brulee."

Me, leaning in and half-whispering: "OH, is that with the N-word... that we're not supposed to say?"

Alex (his eyes huge): "...Uh... er..."

Janny and friends: [choke on their beers]

Me (realizing that I said something fairly terrible on accident, so struggling to make it better quickly): "You know, the one that rhymes with 'Schmu-tella'?"

That really didn't clear things up for poor Alex, so Janny jumped in and explained that he had told me it was a facsimile of Nutella. Alex kindly half-laughed and went on to describe the dessert as "airy and light." I figured I should just double-down and try and make it better with a joke, so I laughed and said, "Did you just say 'Aryan light'?"

Janny gave about a 30% tip that night.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Need to define what is in the realm of Ames area as IMO that includes the DM metro area which is not a far drive down I35. The Big Steer in Altoona is a hidden gem much like Chicago Speakeasy in DM is for prime rib too. Rubes Steakhouse is a little farther drive and you have to grill your own but their cuts are great.

Personally nothing beats a steak on your own grill where you picked it out before it hit the grill, you put the seasoning on it, and you control how it is done. The bonus I have is we get our beef that was raised by my in-laws so I know how it was raised and all the beef in my freezer came from the same animal. If you have the freezer space buying freezer beef from a local farm is the way to go. Not only will you probably get a better product but will save a lot of money compared to buying from a grocery store.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I'll start with explaining the duck frites. They're thin-cut french fries that are fried in duck fat. SUPER-flavorful. They have a harissa ketchup or aioli or something else that is really good that they serve as a standard sauce, and you can order other sauces.

So, we were going to Django for our anniversary with my best friend and her husband. These poor souls have seen me make an ass out of myself at dinner many a time. One time I pronounced jicama as "Juh-cah-muh." Another I asked the waitress what a caper tasted like (this was before I'd realized what they were, even though I'd had them before), and she said "salty bud," but I misheard her and asked, "Did you just say they taste like a 'salty butt'?" The point of that backstory is to explain that they realize that I can be a total fool.

Anyway. We walk in the front door, and they have a sandwich-style sign announcing that the featured dessert that night was a "chocolate hazelnut creme brulee." Janny is the cook in our house, so he explained to me as we walked in that it was code for Nutella creme brulee (I have a big ol' Nutella boner in general), but that they couldn't really say Nutella.

Alex, our waiter, is coming to take our order, and tells us the specials. He talks about the minced lamb entree, the garlic mushroom appetizer, and then he got to the desserts. It went sort of like this:

Alex: "And for dessert, we have a delicious chocolate hazelnut creme brulee."

Me, leaning in and half-whispering: "OH, is that with the N-word... that we're not supposed to say?"

Alex (his eyes huge): "...Uh... er..."

Janny and friends: [choke on their beers]

Me (realizing that I said something fairly terrible on accident, so struggling to make it better quickly): "You know, the one that rhymes with 'Schmu-tella'?"

That really didn't clear things up for poor Alex, so Janny jumped in and explained that he had told me it was a facsimile of Nutella. Alex kindly half-laughed and went on to describe the dessert as "airy and light." I figured I should just double-down and try and make it better with a joke, so I laughed and said, "Did you just say 'Aryan light'?"

Janny gave about a 30% tip that night.

Thank you for explaining duck frites I thought maybe is was maybe duck innards cleaned and deep fried or something like that. Thanks for sharing the story it made me laugh. Hope you and the family have a good weekend.

Reactions: Angie

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Thank you for explaining duck frites I thought maybe is was maybe duck innards cleaned and deep fried or something like that. Thanks for sharing the story it made me laugh. Hope you and the family have a good weekend.

I definitely wouldn't eat them if they were innards of any sort! WAY tastier than that!

It was me being an idiot, for sure - I'm glad it gave you a chuckle! Have a good one - and enjoy the game!!

• Friendly
Reactions: NWICY

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Open Flame is alive and well! Newly remodeled. Worth the drive to Gilbert!

I hope the kitchen was cleaned in the process. I worked there while I was in school and would never order anything from the kitchen unless it was cooked myself. It was disgusting.

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
Need to define what is in the realm of Ames area as IMO that includes the DM metro area which is not a far drive down I35. The Big Steer in Altoona is a hidden gem much like Chicago Speakeasy in DM is for prime rib too. Rubes Steakhouse is a little farther drive and you have to grill your own but their cuts are great.

Personally nothing beats a steak on your own grill where you picked it out before it hit the grill, you put the seasoning on it, and you control how it is done. The bonus I have is we get our beef that was raised by my in-laws so I know how it was raised and all the beef in my freezer came from the same animal. If you have the freezer space buying freezer beef from a local farm is the way to go. Not only will you probably get a better product but will save a lot of money compared to buying from a grocery store.

Sorry if it was mentioned all ready, but if you are going to include the DM metro area, AJ's at Prairie Meadows has my vote.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Johnny's in Des Moines has a killer ribeye. My sister is a chef at the one in Altoona, she will make sure you get the best cooked food.

dmdom

Oct 28, 2014
Lot C6 after the game. I'm grilling Tri-Tip. Adding some Havarti cheese and a real light horseradish spread on garlic buttered and toasted rolls.

Reactions: 2020cy

Psyclone

Mar 18, 2006
Oakland>Ames>Cedar Rapids
Dallas has some amazing steak houses. And also hundreds of great Cyclones here. We often outnumber TCU fans at some events. As for steak houses in Dallas: Papas Bros, Three Forks, Silver Fox, DelFriscos, Bobs. They’re better than any I’ve found in central Iowa in years, and that’s depressing - which is the reason for my question.
Years ago I went to a place that I think was midway between Dallas and Fort Worth. It had a sexy girl on a big swing in the place. Quite unique. I can't remember the name.

UPDATE: I think I found it, but unfortunately it is now closed.

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/stories/2005/12/05/story8.html

Last edited: