I-Phone "secret" tracking maps...

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I've always been spooked about real and perceived "privacy" issues but this caught my eye.

I found the maps of my last 30 days travel and while I'm not embarrassed about where I may - or may not have - been, a man MUST maintain a sense of mystery.

For my dear, trusting and adorable wife - the map incorrectly showed me at The Jigglers Lounge when I was truly and sincerely at the adult book store across the street. ;)

https://www.the-sun.com/lifestyle/tech/1035842/iphone-map-location-tracking-significant-settings/

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Boomers are not qualified to handle the problems of the digital generation. We need reform on a drastic scale.

yowza

Jun 2, 2016
And that's why Google Maps has such good traffic time / delay info real time.

yowza

Jun 2, 2016
Everybody is collecting data. Websites visited, google searches, where traveled. Exactly why I will never have "Alexa" in the house. They already know all.

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
Why would I care if my phone knows where I've been? Why would I care if anyone knows? Unless your a criminal or homewrecker why would you care?

Does one have a reasonable expectation of privacy as to all the places that one goes in public?

Now if Apple (or whoever) is selling this information without your knowledge or approval, then I could see that being an issue...

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007
Google Maps sends me a recap of all the places I have been each month. "They" are always watching us and we let them cuz we love the technology that is made available to us.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I seriously didn't think anyone would NOT object to this. I apparently don't have my finger on the pulse of america.

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
I seriously didn't think anyone would NOT object to this. I apparently don't have my finger on the pulse of america.

Believe me...you don't. I could care less if my phone tracks me or sells my info to ads. I mean, your gonna see ads no matter what if you go online. I read something no long ago that basically said younger people (I'm 42 so not really young) have grown up with the expectation that they are always tracked and watched so to them its not big deal at all. It's older folks who seem to have the issue.

But again, it goes back to why, unless your doing something wrong or illegal you would care about google or apple knowing your whereabouts or what brand of beer you drink?

Now...if they start publishing browser history...well then...we can lock arms against the MAN.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Does one have a reasonable expectation of privacy as to all the places that one goes in public?

Now if Apple (or whoever) is selling this information without your knowledge or approval, then I could see that being an issue...
They make certain aspects of it appealing enough that most people are willing to put up with the other stuff. “Enabling this feature will make it possible to find you if you are in trouble!”

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
Believe me...you don't. I could care less if my phone tracks me or sells my info to ads. I mean, your gonna see ads no matter what if you go online. I read something no long ago that basically said younger people (I'm 42 so not really young) have grown up with the expectation that they are always tracked and watched so to them its not big deal at all. It's older folks who seem to have the issue.

But again, it goes back to why, unless your doing something wrong or illegal you would care about google or apple knowing your whereabouts or what brand of beer you drink?

Now...if they start publishing browser history...well then...we can lock arms against the MAN.

If that information is so valuable, then how is them profiting off it any different than if they were selling a shirt with your image for a profit and without your permission?

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
If that information is so valuable, then how is them profiting off it any different than if they were selling a shirt with your image for a profit and without your permission?

Selling a shirt with my image on it is juuuuuuust a bit different. That said, I could care less if someone put my image on a shirt and sold it. Would be kind funny/cool actually!

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
No one cares about data privacy until the government uses it to destroy people. It's harmless until it is horrifically destructive. Black swan kind of thing.

Imagine a government rounding up an ethnic or religious minority and herding them into re-education camps (China, USSR) or ghettoes (Nazi Germany). Or confiscating guns (Cuba).

If you think it can't happen here, you are in good company with everyone else who thought that, until it did happen.

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006
Everybody is collecting data. Websites visited, google searches, where traveled. Exactly why I will never have "Alexa" in the house. They already know all.

Yep, will not use an Alexa or similar device.

Reactions: aauummm

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown

I'm with you. Data is knowledge and power.

Either I am the product or potential victim

I'm not a conspiracy guy but the total lack of privacy is alarming

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Why would I care if my phone knows where I've been? Why would I care if anyone knows? Unless your a criminal or homewrecker why would you care?

“Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy because you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say.”

Edward Snowden

Reactions: NWICY

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
The bigger question is, why are people surprised about this? If your phone tells you when you get in your car that it's a 27 minute drive to work how do you think that it knows this? Or when google maps shows heavy traffic at this particular interchange?

If you assume that devices are going to automatically not share your location and anonymous data then your just being naive at this point. Every account I have and device I have setup I go and check the privacy settings. I figure out what I'm good with knowing my location and what I don't want to know my location.

We could debate whether stuff should be location sharing should be turned on or off by default, but I'd be willing that it tells us in the EULA that we all just scroll to the bottom of and hit 'I accept' that it tells us this stuff is turned on by default.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron