***Official 2019-2020 Transfer Thread***

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
I am excited to land a guy but admit I am lukewarm on this one. I would have much much rather had Smith or Eastern, as I think we all would have.

-- Bart Torvik calls him a "Wing F" or "Stretch 4," which sounds like a positional need of ours... maybe not as much as a true PG, but we can make do there

-- his offensive rating frankly kind of sucks... mostly because he does not make shots, as usual.... might need some film analysis there to see why... is it shooting form, bad shot selection, being forced to chuck at the end of the clock, etc.

-- turns the ball over a lot, but does get a good rate of steals and blocks

-- PRPG! of 1.1 as a sophomore is a fringe rotation/"good" bench scrub

-- PRPG! as a freshman of 1.9 is "4th-5th starter or good bench guy"

I will have to admit there is not a ton to like, and he regressed. Smith from Indiana was a far superior prospect. This is an overall level of productivity and efficiency that is on the Nixon and Lewis tier. Jacobson, for instance, was better last year.

Walking through an example like that...

Hinson (career)... PRPG! = 1.5 / ORTG = 100.9 / Usage = 18.3% / TS = 52.7% / R = 16.1% / Assist = 8.9% / TO = 17.1% / 3P = 33.3%

Lewis (as a junior)... PRPG! = 1.6 / ORTG = 109.3 / Usage = 21.1% / TS = 61.5% / R = 16.4% / Assist = 7.8% / TO = 20.0% / 3P = 32.5%

So... we just got Lewis back, at least on offense. Is Hinson poised to take a big leap offensively after just one offseason or change of venue? Is he somewhat known as a defensive stopper who might help on that end of the floor?

This feels like an Anthony Booker type to me. Not a bad player, but not really doing enough well where he is a big piece for a good team.

Frankly, I hope Johnson, Coleman-Lands, and the freshman are much better than this guy, because if they are not, we are probably not going to be much good.

Well even when its seems like it is good news and good get, its always important to stay grounded and have someone give that kick to the stones.. At least this time it wasn't a player.:)

Jkclone15

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 19, 2017
Like I said -- just reading off the page. The numbers do not lie, but there can be context missing for them, which you and others just provided.

You do not have to be angry and try to shoot the messenger.

I will admit I flubbed something about Booker a second ago -- I thought he was a high-major transfer from Penn State (whoops, that was Babb). So I was going for a "okay high-major big man transfer who was not bad for us, but he was eventually superseded by better players... like Georges Niang... once they had more experience. I welcome Hinton, but I hope that Foster and Blackwell are better than what we have seen of him so far and make him more of an insurance policy than a star." I see now that Booker was a Southern Illinois guy, so my bad on that one, but I think my analogy is still okay. I hope Hinton is really good really fast and/or he holds a place until the freshman are truly ready.

Booker and Hinton are alike in neither have great numbers, though.

And you cannot deny that Hinton and Lewis have oddly similar productivity numbers on offense. Again, you can think it is only part of the story (and you are right), but you cannot ignore efficiency stats entirely and still build winning programs.

Seems like so far people have come up with...

-- Hinton is a plus defender (not sure their basis for it, but I would love to see it, and you are right Bart Torvik is weak at capturing such things)

-- had medical issues last year, might be due from a bounce back from that after a change of venue out of Oxford and up to Ames (great!)

-- Prohm has proven to be able to get more offensive production out of transfers, such as Shayok (and I find this one more dubious... Shayok was always efficient, but Prohm just let him score at volume... but I will roll with it) and Bolton

I am glad we have Hinton and feel better about the scholarship chart now than when I woke up and saw this. A high-major guy with plenty of experience is usually a good bet. But I like Coleman-Lands and Harris more, and I hope (as you should) that the freshmen are just so good as to exceed Hinton. There. Happy, Mr. Grumpy Cat?

Is having the same productivity on offense as Lewis a bad thing? I got the impression last year that he was our second or third best offensive player for much of the season but was such a joke on defense that he still managed to be a liability.

Reactions: Bubba Hubba

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Is having the same productivity on offense as Lewis a bad thing? I got the impression last year that he was our second or third best offensive player for much of the season but was such a joke on defense that he still managed to be a liability.
He was a liability on both ends because he literally had no idea what to do unless it was purely based on instincts. Lewis actually had / still has a lot of talent, but the epitome of his play was the final two possessions of the Okie State game in KC where he dunked it, flexed, didn't get back, and they scored a layup.

If Hinson has similar ability, but between the ears he has it all figured out, that's a good pickup imo. He also is a lot bigger than Lewis, so their comp is a little bit different.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

Lewis could score... even if he was hot-dogging it...

If Hinson gives you similar numbers but plays within the offense, that is good.

I am more interested in the possibilities, however, that he might be an energy guy who brings more on defense and on the boards than other guys.

I save that with caveats, though, because his rebounding numbers on BT are not that impressive. I will defer to people who are better at film and X/O stuff than I am to figure out (or at least guess) how this guy might work out.

He is just not a slam dunk on efficiency terms.

Reactions: isutrevman

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
so this list isnt perfect
there are surely some players not listed that ISU recruited and others on here that were never going to be a take for ISU even if they wanted to commit

but how would you rank the top 5 targets of the 2020 transfer season?

I'm very happy with the 3 ISU landed but if you could fantasy draft these players tomorrow for ISU's 2020-21 roster where would you start?

Just trying to keep this goodwill of transfer conversation going before we revert back to arguing over if the 2013 ISU team could beat the 2016 Oklahoma team :)

Screen Shot 2020-06-24 at 9.25.02 AM.png

Reactions: isutrevman

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
there are surely some players not listed that ISU recruited and others on here that were never going to be a take for ISU even if they wanted to commit

I'm very happy with the 3 ISU landed but if you could fantasy draft these players tomorrow for ISU's 2020-21 roster where would you start?

Just trying to keep this goodwill of transfer conversation going before we revert back to arguing over if the 2013 ISU team could beat the 2016 Oklahoma team :)

View attachment 73004
I think #1 would be Bryce Aiken

CyPunch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA

View attachment 73004

Some rambling general thoughts..

Of that list I would make a semi-informed guess that Tahj Eady, Ray Salnave, Michael Flowers, Makale Foreman, Koreem Ozier, Kevin Cross, Jose Perez, Drew Buggs, Devin Gage, DJ Carton, Courvoisier McCauley, and Anthony Nelson were not takes. So just over 1/3 of the list.

I would of really liked to have paired DeJulius with the 3 we got (or replaced Tyler Harris with DeJulius). That would of taken our transfer class from a B+ to an A in my opinion.

I was also really high on Alan Griffin even if he has to sit.

Thank you for keeping this list throughout the transfer season, @Messi

CascadiaClone

FKA BoredInKildee
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2012
Portland, Ore
Some rambling general thoughts..

Of that list I would make a semi-informed guess that Tahj Eady, Ray Salnave, Michael Flowers, Makale Foreman, Koreem Ozier, Kevin Cross, Jose Perez, Drew Buggs, Devin Gage, DJ Carton, Courvoisier McCauley, and Anthony Nelson were not takes. So just over 1/3 of the list.

I would of really liked to have paired DeJulius with the 3 we got (or replaced Tyler Harris with DeJulius). That would of taken our transfer class from a B+ to an A in my opinion.

I was also really high on Alan Griffin even if he has to sit.

Thank you for keeping this list throughout the transfer season, @Messi
Wait, Carton wasn’t a take? I must have missed something. Personally, I was most disappointed when we missed out on Gach and Smith because I felt like we had a great shot at them. Aiken would be my number one though. That being said, I am drinking the kool-aid on this transfer class. I’ll give it an B for now, and an A- if Hinson and Harris are both eligible.

CyPunch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
Wait, Carton wasn’t a take? I must have missed something. Personally, I was most disappointed when we missed out on Gach and Smith because I felt like we had a great shot at them. Aiken would be my number one though. That being said, I am drinking the kool-aid on this transfer class. I’ll give it an B for now, and an A- if Hinson and Harris are both eligible.

Carton has issues that caused Iowa State and many other schools to not pursue him this offseason. I don't know what exactly happened but I'd wager it wasn't something minor for so many programs to not go after a talent like that.

Reactions: CascadiaClone

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
I was sad about missing Gach but I think Hinson is a more complete player and will add more than Gach. I’m totally satisfied with who we got. I think we will bank the last one but who knows

CascadiaClone

FKA BoredInKildee
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2012
Portland, Ore
Carton has issues that caused Iowa State and many other schools to not pursue him this offseason. I don't know what exactly happened but I'd wager it wasn't something minor for so many programs to not go after a talent like that.
Interesting, makes a lot of sense in hindsight. Thanks for the info.

DrewCo

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 14, 2008
Quad Cities
I'd be shocked if we were still looking for another transfer. Think we bank it and move on with what we've got.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron