Blake Hinson Committed To ISU!

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
ncaa-finalfour2021-logo-final-01.jpg

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
I just came across the free CycloneReport article and Seals speculated that Javian could be playing PG or at least a Point-Foward role in the offense.
While I realize it seems a bit out of the box, we've heard that narrative throughout the off season from the media. The staff must be seriously considering it and would make sense with Prohm targeting a player like Hinson (Smith) to play PF freeing up JJ rather than focused on true point guard. Though I do think Harris could be the answer there too.

https://iowastate.rivals.com/news/i...o-mix-in-ole-miss-double-figure-scorer-hinson

"If that waiver is approved, he would provide some immediate scoring from all areas of the floor. He shot 40-percent from the field and made 91-of-273 3-pointers during his time in Oxford.

I-State will return a pair of veterans in the post next season in senior Solomon Young and junior George Conditt, so if eligible, Hinson could be utilized more on the wing. Another transfer, Javan Johnson, is listed as a forward but could see time at point guard. Guards Tre Jackson and Rasir Bolton also return to the mix."
It’s one of the bigger intrigues of next year.

Imo Johnson carrying the pg burden works best as a point-forward (a 1/4) from the 4 when surrounded by combo guards and wing guards, than if with another forward, or even a G-F like Hinson.

If he’s able to be like NWB, in which he goes from being a utility guy to being a true 1, we’ll be pretty good.

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA
Where does everyone see him fitting in? Is this guy a starter or one of the first guys off of the bench. I don't know a whole lot about him, but looks like his numbers went up between freshman and sophomore year. Hoping that trend continues and we might have some great stats for his two years here.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Where does everyone see him fitting in? Is this guy a starter or one of the first guys off of the bench. I don't know a whole lot about him, but looks like his numbers went up between freshman and sophomore year. Hoping that trend continues and we might have some great stats for his two years here.
If eligible, he will probably start at the 4 over Johnson, unless Johnson starts at the 1? Idk lol there honestly is a lot of exciting and interchangeable pieces to next year's roster and I think Prohm is salivating about getting to come up with lineups.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
After the fact, were there even any hints of this on the premium boards? This seems completely out of left field. Didn't even know we were in on this kid.
No. I gave it 3 months. With so little going on in the sports world right now, I think I'm gonna hit the pause button for a bit and wait to start again once sports picks up and they figure out what they're doing a little bit more. Might just skip down to patreon level for a bit, still love this site and don't want it to go away.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
This news needed it's own thread. The Stretch PF the staff has been looking for all offseason. Huge!

@EvanDaniels Ole Miss transfer Blake Hinson just verbally committed to Iowa State, a source tells @247Sports. Plans to apply for a wavier to be eligible immediately. Averaged 10.1 PPG and 4.6 RPG this past season.

https://247sports.com/Player/Blake-Hinson-78308/high-school-204124/

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/4396963

ISU not on the BB list but gives some insight into Blake's game
https://bustingbrackets.com/2020/06...-teams-target-ole-miss-transfer-blake-hinson/

"Originally a three-star recruit, Hinson was a surprise impact player for Ole Miss as a freshman. He started all 31 games, averaging 8.3 ppg while producing a career-high 26 points against Mississippi State. His production increased to double figures this past season (10.1 ppg) while grabbing 4.6 rpg. Hinson’s shooting numbers dipped to under 40% from the field but there were many games where the forward was a leading contributor for the Rebels.

The roster for Ole Miss has undergone many changes this offseason, particularly in the frontcourt. Grad transfers Dimencio Vaughn and Romello White are arriving, along with Samford sit-out forward Robert Allen. And with top-40 guard Matthew Murrell set to join as well, the room at the small and power forward positions has become crowded. And don’t forget that K.J. Buffen, who plays a similar position as Hinson, is the preferred option at the four-spot due to his rebounding abilities.

Rather than risk fewer minutes and possibly being relegated to the bench as a junior, Hinson has elected to move on. Expect a ton of interest for him at the power conference level, as the 6’7 athlete can play and defend multiple positions on the court. If he can shoot the ball at a higher clip, Hinson can be an all-conference player at his next stop."
Too lazy to read entire thread, so I will likely repeat other people’s thoughts. I like this pick up a lot. I think between freshman and transfers the staff has done a fantastic job of reshaping our roster. A lot for next year will depend upon which transfers can play, but I think things look positioned for considerable improvement in the not too distant future. Excited to see many of these new faces!

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Imagine if Conditt takes a leap and you can play all three with Walker and one of the incoming wings. That's a very long, pretty athletic team that could be a nightmare in a zone if they wanted.

Im going to sound a downer here but it’s really not. They need to put Conditt on the Poor man’s Jeff Withey track and adjust the defense as such. Just make him an elite defensive presence, because I don’t think the “traditional” offense is going to come. I think a big part of that is his body is still changing a lot.

Reactions: Statefan10

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Really not seeing a world where Johnson starts unless Harris and Hinson are denied waivers. Unless of course this smoke about him being able to run the offense/ be a primary ball handler and distributor are true. Would Harris then be the 6th man in kind of an instant offense roll?

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
I want to see a season where Prohm over-achieves...

I want to see an upset win(s) at Hilton....and avoid the embarrassing home loss

I want to see him get the chemistry right (4 transfers, 4 frosh, 4 returnees)

I want to see better defense/rebounding/shot selection...

All of these transfers should be a big help, and hopefully Prohm can figure out the winning formula this season - we're due.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Ehh, that may be a stretch. Shayok had more to his game in my opinion. He had more to his dribble and was quicker of creating his own shot. Hinson seems to thrive off of a catch and shoot a little more than creating his own shot like Shayok could do. At least that's what I gathered mostly from the highlights above. Either that, or they didn't do a great job of showcasing all of Hinson's strengths.

Their pull up J’s look similar in form.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Not trying to derail this thread or take it to the cave but I wonder if the current issues with the Mississippi state flag could impact the NCAA giving waivers to players wanting to leave schools in that state. The NCAA is clearly on the players side in this case.

This is what I was about to say, I wouldn’t be surprised if every player transferring from that state can get a waiver.

Reactions: Pizzapitter