***Official 2019-2020 Transfer Thread***

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

I am excited to land a guy but admit I am lukewarm on this one. I would have much much rather had Smith or Eastern, as I think we all would have.

-- Bart Torvik calls him a "Wing F" or "Stretch 4," which sounds like a positional need of ours... maybe not as much as a true PG, but we can make do there

-- his offensive rating frankly kind of sucks... mostly because he does not make shots, as usual.... might need some film analysis there to see why... is it shooting form, bad shot selection, being forced to chuck at the end of the clock, etc.

-- turns the ball over a lot, but does get a good rate of steals and blocks

-- PRPG! of 1.1 as a sophomore is a fringe rotation/"good" bench scrub

-- PRPG! as a freshman of 1.9 is "4th-5th starter or good bench guy"

I will have to admit there is not a ton to like, and he regressed. Smith from Indiana was a far superior prospect. This is an overall level of productivity and efficiency that is on the Nixon and Lewis tier. Jacobson, for instance, was better last year.

Walking through an example like that...

Hinson (career)... PRPG! = 1.5 / ORTG = 100.9 / Usage = 18.3% / TS = 52.7% / R = 16.1% / Assist = 8.9% / TO = 17.1% / 3P = 33.3%

Lewis (as a junior)... PRPG! = 1.6 / ORTG = 109.3 / Usage = 21.1% / TS = 61.5% / R = 16.4% / Assist = 7.8% / TO = 20.0% / 3P = 32.5%

So... we just got Lewis back, at least on offense. Is Hinson poised to take a big leap offensively after just one offseason or change of venue? Is he somewhat known as a defensive stopper who might help on that end of the floor?

This feels like an Anthony Booker type to me. Not a bad player, but not really doing enough well where he is a big piece for a good team.

Frankly, I hope Johnson, Coleman-Lands, and the freshman are much better than this guy, because if they are not, we are probably not going to be much good.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
If both get Waivers I don't think Harris starts. I think it will be Bolton, JCL, Hinson, Johnson and Young.
It doesn't really bother me though if neither get waivers because that just means an extra year of development which both could put to good use. I think this will be a shortened season anyway.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Dude is like 5'9" what other position can/should he play?
Shooting guard on offense. Defends the pg on defense.
Didn’t we go with Haliburton over Harris? It’s interesting as Haliburton is the perfect pg to pair with Harris imo.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
I am excited to land a guy but admit I am lukewarm on this one. I would have much much rather had Smith or Eastern, as I think we all would have.

-- Bart Torvik calls him a "Wing F" or "Stretch 4," which sounds like a positional need of ours... maybe not as much as a true PG, but we can make do there

-- his offensive rating frankly kind of sucks... mostly because he does not make shots, as usual.... might need some film analysis there to see why... is it shooting form, bad shot selection, being forced to chuck at the end of the clock, etc.

-- turns the ball over a lot, but does get a good rate of steals and blocks

-- PRPG! of 1.1 as a sophomore is a fringe rotation/"good" bench scrub

-- PRPG! as a freshman of 1.9 is "4th-5th starter or good bench guy"

I will have to admit there is not a ton to like, and he regressed. Smith from Indiana was a far superior prospect. This is an overall level of productivity and efficiency that is on the Nixon and Lewis tier. Jacobson, for instance, was better last year.

Walking through an example like that...

Hinson (career)... PRPG! = 1.5 / ORTG = 100.9 / Usage = 18.3% / TS = 52.7% / R = 16.1% / Assist = 8.9% / TO = 17.1% / 3P = 33.3%

Lewis (as a junior)... PRPG! = 1.6 / ORTG = 109.3 / Usage = 21.1% / TS = 61.5% / R = 16.4% / Assist = 7.8% / TO = 20.0% / 3P = 32.5%

So... we just got Lewis back, at least on offense. Is Hinson poised to take a big leap offensively after just one offseason or change of venue? Is he somewhat known as a defensive stopper who might help on that end of the floor?

This feels like an Anthony Booker type to me. Not a bad player, but not really doing enough well where he is a big piece for a good team.

Frankly, I hope Johnson, Coleman-Lands, and the freshman are much better than this guy, because if they are not, we are probably not going to be much good.

I agree he isn't a wow signing that will make them a great team this year but I don't think JCL, Johnson and Harris are either. But they are all solid pieces and combined they get ISU closer to its goal. As I stated above part of the reason I really don't mind if they Hinson and Harris sit out is I think they both need some time to work on their game. By the time they are 5th year Seniors they could be pretty darn good. Hinson showed promise his Freshman year. Not that unusual to have a sophomore slump.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Dude is like 5'9" what other position can/should he play?

Other than maybe a true PG, position is irrelevant on offense. The only question that matters is who can you guard. Idk why people get hung up on needing a PG, Bolton will have the ball in his hands the majority of the time on offense.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006

Your sole dependence on Torvik for evaluating players is making you produce comical posts like this one.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Other than maybe a true PG, position is irrelevant on offense. The only question that matters is who can you guard. Idk why people get hung up on needing a PG, Bolton will have the ball in his hands the majority of the time on offense.
Yeah totally agree. I always think about when KU had both Mason and Graham in the backcourt. Neither were what you would call "true" PGs. They were combo guards but it worked. I think the same think for ISU this coming year. You can have both Bolton and JCL share the PG duties plus maybe the offense can be run through a guy like Johnson or Hinson at times as well.

Reactions: heitclone

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Your sole dependence on Torvik for evaluating players is making you produce comical posts like this one.

What would you suggest as an alternative?

I am plenty open to the notion I might be missing something.

Somebody just asked me to look over BT and see what that said.

Hinton is just not that productive or efficient (so far) in his career.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
I agree he isn't a wow signing that will make them a great team this year but I don't think JCL, Johnson and Harris are either. But they are all solid pieces and combined they get ISU closer to its goal. As I stated above part of the reason I really don't mind if they Hinson and Harris sit out is I think they both need some time to work on their game. By the time they are 5th year Seniors they could be pretty darn good. Hinson showed promise his Freshman year. Not that unusual to have a sophomore slump.
Didn’t Hinson have a medical issue last year? I wonder if that’s a reason for the slump.

Agree that it’s not a wow signing. Gach and Smith in combination with Harris and JCL would have given the staff enough “almost wow” additions to have the pieces needed to be a good team.

Hinson, Harris, and JCL is still solid spring. The type that sustain success, but maybe doesn’t flip a 9th place team into a tournament team.

Next year got better than what it looked like on March 12th (knowing that Haliburton was leaving).

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Very solid top 8 with Harris, Jackson, Bolton, JCL, Hinson, Johnson, Young, Conditt, Then add in maybe some Foster for a 9th at times. As a whole that is better than last year's team. You never know as well how much one of the guys has improved. If say Bolton takes a big jump and is a first team conference type of player next year that makes the NCAA tournament probable.

Also sets the team up for the year after as well and allows them to ease in Freshman. Year after would be Harris, Jackson, Bolton, Hinson, Johnson, Conditt, Foster and Dubar/Blackwell. And again, they wouldn't have to rely on Freshman. I would guess they are probably done now for transfers unless there is a stud they had a chance with.

CyPunch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA

Worth noting, Hinson missed basically the entire preseason and first 4 games of the regular season last year due to a blood abnormality

https://www.oxfordeagle.com/2019/09...ling-with-blood-abnormality-status-uncertain/

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010

Right, BT isn’t everything, but to leave it at that is hollow. What is BT missing? What context needs to be applied in this case?

First, the sophomore slump coming off a medical condition is ripe for a bounce that is beyond BT’s formula.

Second, Prohm is a bigger catalyst for offensive success than Davis. Although that can lead to misfires like Nixon, hopefully Hinson is more like Shayok and Bolton.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sigmapolis

CyPunch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
Isn’t he a better candidate to play the 4 than Johnson? And Johnson has been widely considered getting significant minutes at the 4.

Of course, that latter assumption could have been only true in Cyclone forums, as a reflex to our recent futile play with two bigs.

Size and rebounding production say yes.

Hinson was listed at 6'7" 229 lbs at Ole Miss. Hinson pulled in 4.6 boards per game last year in the SEC.

Javan J is listed at 6'6" 195 lbs at Iowa State currently. Javan J averaged 4.2 boards per game his last year at Troy.

Just a guess but we'll probably see some lineups where they play together (Javan J at the "3", Hinson at the "4") along with one of Solo/Conditt/Foster.

Reactions: Statefan10

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Size and rebounding production say yes.

Hinson was listed at 6'7" 229 lbs at Ole Miss. Hinson pulled in 4.6 boards per game last year in the SEC.

Javan J is listed at 6'6" 195 lbs at Iowa State currently. Javan J averaged 4.2 boards per game his last year at Troy.

Just a guess but we'll probably see some lineups where they play together (Javan J at the "3", Hinson at the "4") along with one of Solo/Conditt/Foster.
Hinson and Johnson will need to really step up their rebounding if the 4. Particularly if teamed with Young.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006

You were making Anthony Booker type comparisons based on BT which is ridiculous.

Hinson started as a freshmen on a P6 NCAA tourney team as a freshmen for a HC who has a history of demanding excellence defensively (and which BT doesn't accurately measure at all). Comparing BT stats without an acknowledgement to the level of competition is extremely flawed on your end. He also started last season and had his performance impaired by a blood disorder. Those facts right there give him a leg up on JCL who played for a last place team and Harris who was a 5-9 backup SG on a team that missed the NCAAs. And based on those facts, it is also foolish to drop comparisons to T.Lewis and Booker based solely on BT.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
You were making Anthony Booker type comparisons based on BT which is ridiculous.

Hinson started as a freshmen on a P6 NCAA tourney team as a freshmen for a HC who has a history of demanding excellence defensively (and which BT doesn't accurately measure at all). Comparing BT stats without an acknowledgement to the level of competition is extremely flawed on your end. He also started last season and had his performance impaired by a blood disorder. Those facts right there give him a leg up on JCL who played for a last place team and Harris who was a 5-9 backup on a team that missed the NCAAs. And based on those facts, it is also foolish to drop comparisons to T.Lewis and Booker based solely on BT.

Like I said -- just reading off the page. The numbers do not lie, but there can be context missing for them, which you and others just provided.

You do not have to be angry and try to shoot the messenger.

I will admit I flubbed something about Booker a second ago -- I thought he was a high-major transfer from Penn State (whoops, that was Babb). So I was going for a "okay high-major big man transfer who was not bad for us, but he was eventually superseded by better players... like Georges Niang... once they had more experience. I welcome Hinton, but I hope that Foster and Blackwell are better than what we have seen of him so far and make him more of an insurance policy than a star." I see now that Booker was a Southern Illinois guy, so my bad on that one, but I think my analogy is still okay. I hope Hinton is really good really fast and/or he holds a place until the freshman are truly ready.

Booker and Hinton are alike in neither have great numbers, though.

And you cannot deny that Hinton and Lewis have oddly similar productivity numbers on offense. Again, you can think it is only part of the story (and you are right), but you cannot ignore efficiency stats entirely and still build winning programs.

Seems like so far people have come up with...

-- Hinton is a plus defender (not sure their basis for it, but I would love to see it, and you are right Bart Torvik is weak at capturing such things)

-- had medical issues last year, might be due from a bounce back from that after a change of venue out of Oxford and up to Ames (great!)

-- Prohm has proven to be able to get more offensive production out of transfers, such as Shayok (and I find this one more dubious... Shayok was always efficient, but Prohm just let him score at volume... but I will roll with it) and Bolton

I am glad we have Hinton and feel better about the scholarship chart now than when I woke up and saw this. A high-major guy with plenty of experience is usually a good bet. But I like Coleman-Lands and Harris more, and I hope (as you should) that the freshmen are just so good as to exceed Hinton. There. Happy, Mr. Grumpy Cat?

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
I think running point is between Harris and Johnson. I think there’s a misconception about Harris, I think he’s a better PG than he was able to show at Memphis because they had other options, but he was good enough to still get on the floor. He’s not a floor general, but neither was Kyrie Irving and he’s still a great PG.

I’ll feel real good if we get both waivers, because that means we have at least 6 starters and maybe more if you can count any of the freshman with Conditt and Jackson being great roll players.

Reactions: isutrevman

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron