NO FANS AT CYCLONE GAMES?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

NodawayRiverClone

May 1, 2018
Why aren't they advising ISU to cancel classes why just football games?

Not advising to cancel games, but to broadcast only without spectators.

For some reason, it does not appear that the same request applies to high school sports in the county as their guidance mentions spectators. I know attendance size would be different and people would not be from all over the state, but it does not add up to me.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
A County Health board. Yawn. Who wants to take bet's on how many board members are on the stop Ames growth non-sense as well?

Last edited:
Reactions: 83cy and joker

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
The season is months away. There is no reason this decision needs to be made now. The board has other things to worry about.

OldCurmudgeon

Nov 25, 2017
No fall athletics would likely kill the Athletic department. A ton of sports would end up on the chopping block. I don't think broadcast revenue would be enough to support football, let alone the other sports.

cyclonestate

May 4, 2009
Gonna force the Athletic Department to go after commercial sponsors big time to make up some of the losses in ticket revenue. This coin toss has been brought to you by Norwest Bank of Iowa!

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
The season is months away. There is no reason this decision needs to be made now. The board has other things to worry about.

The health board has bigger things to worry about than a series of events of the kind known to be the highest risk for community virus spread?

And no, we are 75 days out from the first game. We are about 40-45 days from when tix normally ship out. Look at every other event that's been cancelled this year. These decisions are usually made a couple months in advance due to vendors, ticket shipping, etc. The decision on fans at ISU football this fall will probably come within the next month i'd imagine.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
A County Health board. Yawn. Who wants to take bet's on how many board members are on the stop Ames growth non-sense as well?

Yeah, you have more insight and expertise than this group...right....

John Paschen, MD, Chair
Mark Speck, Vice Chair
John Kluge, DVM
Lisa Heddens (Ex-officio Member)
Louisa Tabatabai, PhD
Molly Lee, DVM, MPH

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
No fall athletics would likely kill the Athletic department. A ton of sports would end up on the chopping block. I don't think broadcast revenue would be enough to support football, let alone the other sports.

Couldn't the ISU Foundation find some money somewhere in their 1.3 billion dollar endowment to save the athletic department from one disastrous year?

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
The health board has bigger things to worry about than a series of events of the kind known to be the highest risk for community virus spread?

And no, we are 75 days out from the first game. We are about 40-45 days from when tix normally ship out. Look at every other event that's been cancelled this year. These decisions are usually made a couple months in advance due to vendors, ticket shipping, etc. The decision on fans at ISU football this fall will probably come within the next month i'd imagine.
And 40 to 45 days is a ton of time in a fluid situation. If the state of Iowa makes the same progress in the next 45 days it has in the previous it will be hard to justify shutting things down at that point. My point remains, this is not a decision that needs or should be made now. The AD has taken measures to prepare and they are in a good spot to wait and see.

Reactions: Cytown12