Adding an egress window to basement for bedroom

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
Hey all, out basement is already finished and we have two egress windows in it already however there is a bedroom down there that does not have an egress window that we’d like to put one in (bedroom is completely finished minus that). Wondering what kind of cost we’re looking at for this to contract the work out (live in Ankeny) and if anyone has any recommendations for contractors. I’m fairly handy but just don’t have the time to do the work myself. Any thing to look for/specify when getting quotes would be appreciated as well!

tzjung

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 2, 2007
Ankeny, IA
Hey all, out basement is already finished and we have two egress windows in it already however there is a bedroom down there that does not have an egress window that we’d like to put one in (bedroom is completely finished minus that). Wondering what kind of cost we’re looking at for this to contract the work out (live in Ankeny) and if anyone has any recommendations for contractors. I’m fairly handy but just don’t have the time to do the work myself. Any thing to look for/specify when getting quotes would be appreciated as well!

2 of my neighbors both just did this and used the same company. I'll ask them what they paid.

EDIT: around 3K, same as @jdcyclone19

Last edited:

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
We just had one put in for roughly this. Depends on what you want for a window well though.

we have one that has a poured concrete wall and an area drain in it and another that is just a steel wall with an area drain in it. I’m assuming both tie into our foundation drain which runs to our sump pump.... not sure how to make that work for the new one.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
A work friend hired two teenagers in his neighborhood to dig the hole for his. Paid them $300.00. I don't know that with the hole dug it would be tough to put in.

Reactions: clone4life82

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
A work friend hired two teenagers in his neighborhood to dig the hole for his. Paid them $300.00. I don't know that with the hole dug it would be tough to put in.
If you have a good concrete saw, wouldn't be difficult. Adding to an existing finished basement adds, like ours, adds some additional work obviously.

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
If you have a good concrete saw, wouldn't be difficult. Adding to an existing finished basement adds, like ours, adds some additional work obviously.

this is part of my issue is that the room down their is already finished (walls, hard ceiling, insulation, carpet and pad). It likely doubles the amount of work that it would take.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
this is part of my issue is that the room down their is already finished (walls, hard ceiling, insulation, carpet and pad). It likely doubles the amount of work that it would take.

Not really. Take the time to tent off the wall area well enough that is being worked on from the inside.......dig the well, cut the foundation from the outside and push brick/block/concrete into the hole. There really isn't much more "dirty work" to be done on the inside outside of framing and finishing window jamb. As for the cost....what I have seen here of 3k sounds a bit high to me if it's basically a standard job. Maybe charge if it's a larger than standard window and you want landscape block as the retainer. But if it's your standard 5.7 window with a steel well.....that's a bit much.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Ours was finished. As mentioned above, they dug the hole, put up plastic around the area inside, opened the finished wall, drilled holes from the inside to mark where to cut the concrete, cut the concrete from the outside, push it into hole, put in window, frame and trim it. A little extra work but not that much. That said, we paid a little over 3K and that was well below all of the other estimates we got. The highest (and first) estimate we got was 5K. We almost pulled the plug at that point.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
It's mostly labor so if you are comfortable doing some of the work yourselves (or hiring a friend), you can save some $. Like someone else mentioned, if you can prep by hiring some friends or teenagers to dig the hole, you tape off the inside, the contractor can come in and do the heavy lifting. The window itself is probably only $400-$500 max.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Ours was finished. As mentioned above, they dug the hole, put up plastic around the area inside, opened the finished wall, drilled holes from the inside to mark where to cut the concrete, cut the concrete from the outside, push it into hole, put in window, frame and trim it. A little extra work but not that much. That said, we paid a little over 3K and that was well below all of the other estimates we got. The highest (and first) estimate we got was 5K. We almost pulled the plug at that point.

Wow......on the costs. I need to raise my rates.

wintersmd

Jul 2, 2014
Hey guys, wanted to bump this up. We are looking to get quotes on 2 egress windows for our basement. Anybody have windows put in that can give recommendation. Looking for complete job. Thanks in advance.

Mike

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
This thread reminded me of an issue I have with my basement. I recently found out there was a basement window underneath where my fireplace juts out from my house. The basement is finished and this area drywalled over on the inside so you don't see the window at all. I'm concerned that water is getting into my basement from this area. I want to remove the window but not sure if there are any contractors that could do something like that. Not sure how much it would cost to remove.

The basement window is in the area with the red circle in the picture.

basement window.JPG

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron