Attendance policy from JP...

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I got an email yesterday saying that the HS that I work at will be doing both in school and on line learning for the upcoming school year. The students will be in attendence M,T,TH, F and will doing online on Wed. All assignments given online will be required this time. The lunch periods will be staggered for kids 5-12, allowing them to space out more, and a couple of groups will be eating in one of the gyms.

This seems odd but maybe there's a reason I'm not seeing. How does going online one day a week help?

CloneJD

May 14, 2020
Unless hospitalizations start to tick up state-wide I think they'll continue with the 50% attendance plan.

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
If we don't have a football season this fall, Cyclone Fanatic might not make it financially.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
There's pretty big differences between the two. The students won't be going back and forth from wherever they come from as much (part of why they are ending at Thanksgiving). Iirc ISU and other schools will also be limiting larger classes and moving more of those online to reduce that risk, which is probably the biggest parallel to football games.

Hell, the marching band may have a harder time rehearsing given there's almost no way to do indoor rehearsals of 300 people and maintain distancing.

It’s not just the classroom part. The residential life is as big. If Story county views 36k for 7 times a year as too risky, imagine 30k that live in close proximity and socialize like college students do, going about the community. I hope your elderly family members don’t live in Ames. Trips to the store will have significantly more contagion risk after school is in session.

If you were a Story county resident, would you rather have 36k thst mostly will have limited travels outside of JTS, attending a football game 6 or 7 times, or 30k students coming from all over the state, and acting as an incubator in the heart of Ames for several months?

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
It’s not just the classroom part. The residential life is as big. If Story county views 36k for 7 times a year as too risky, imagine 30k that live in close proximity and socialize like college students do, going about the community. I hope your elderly family members don’t live in Ames. Trips to the store will have significantly more contagion risk after school is in session.

If you were a Story county resident, would you rather have 36k thst mostly will have limited travels outside of JTS, attending a football game 6 or 7 times, or 30k students coming from all over the state, and acting as an incubator in the heart of Ames?

It's not really a question of picking one or the other. It's about one or both.

Reactions: BoxsterCy

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

If you were a Story county resident, would you rather have 36k thst mostly will have limited travels outside of JTS, attending a football game 6 or 7 times, or 30k students coming from all over the state, and acting as an incubator in the heart of Ames for several months?

I mean those students are going to have to live somewhere regardless. So overall that doesn't change things.

And again I think this would be a case where you weigh the benefits versus the downsides. Certainly the education of 30,000 students is more necessary than It is for fans to sit in some bleachers on a Saturday afternoon to watch a game. Not everything has to be black and white with no nuance.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Disappointing that kxno is espousing POX parties and it’s fine because football players have big muscles they will be fine.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
This seems odd but maybe there's a reason I'm not seeing. How does going online one day a week help?

The feeling I have been getting is they are setting up the online program to use, and if the virus hits again this year like it did this past year, then we could easily switch over to fully online from that point on. So we will be in a sense practicing to go online with the Wednesday program, just in case.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
I mean those students are going to have to live somewhere regardless. So overall that doesn't change things.

And again I think this would be a case where you weigh the benefits versus the downsides. Certainly the education of 30,000 students is more necessary than It is for fans to sit in some bleachers on a Saturday afternoon to watch a game. Not everything has to be black and white with no nuance.
How doesn’t it change things? Few living environments are as dense and social as on-campus residential education.

Higher population density communities that are college campuses most definitely changes things as opposed to those same 18-22 year olds spread throughout the state.

Moreover, if you’re Story County looking to keep things safer here, which is the point, it absolutely changes things.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Disappointing that kxno is espousing POX parties and it’s fine because football players have big muscles they will be fine.

Hey they took my ideas. Nice, not listening but thumbs up to that person/persons.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
It's not really a question of picking one or the other. It's about one or both.
You mean none, or both.

Argubly, if it’s too problematic for 36k to come to JTS 7 times, it’s also an issue for 30k to come for an on-campus educational experience. Games can be watched on TV and classes held online, with both greatly limiting spread risk.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
I think there are places where it’s getting worse. I wouldn’t classify Iowa as one of those places.

https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america/iowa

This shows that we will not break our peak.

Any decision to not allow fans that would be made now would be idiotic. I’m not saying we absolutely have fans or even all fans there but it’s way to early at this point.
College football brings people together from many different states. I'm sure at each game there are a significant number of people from MN, WI, IL, MO, KS, NE, SD and some from even further away. Some of those states have plateaued near their peak; others have seen a big decline and a sudden increase. Get all those people churning together in close proximity for 4 to 12 hours and it's easy to see how college football would be a vector for transmission even if a state "looks good" in mid August.

cysmiley

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 30, 2012
I do know that residential life is looking for places to quarantine students who test positive for corona. Came up at a zoom Board meeting that I was part of last night.

Inthesystem

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 12, 2009
Indoor activities vs. outdoor seem to have an entirely different level of risk.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
College football brings people together from many different states. I'm sure at each game there are a significant number of people from MN, WI, IL, MO, KS, NE, SD and some from even further away. Some of those states have plateaued near their peak; others have seen a big decline and a sudden increase. Get all those people churning together in close proximity for 4 to 12 hours and it's easy to see how college football would be a vector for transmission even if a state "looks good" in mid August.
I agree. It isn’t going to be an easy decision. I will say my stance is more on the play football and have at least some fans. I still think limiting of tailgating is going to be a casualty. I think if you can get most everyone to wear masks and limit it to specifically the game then you can reasonably limit exposure. Cutting some of that stuff off will limit out of state fans as it maybe won’t be worth it for them. I also think it will naturally limit the fan numbers.

If allowed I will be there. For me I need something to look forward to. For me personally unless something changes cancelling football would be worse for my mental health than I think it would prevent. With that said there’s a lot of time until the first game. We will see what happens.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I agree. It isn’t going to be an easy decision. I will say my stance is more on the play football and have at least some fans. I still think limiting of tailgating is going to be a casualty. I think if you can get most everyone to wear masks and limit it to specifically the game then you can reasonably limit exposure. Cutting some of that stuff off will limit out of state fans as it maybe won’t be worth it for them. I also think it will naturally limit the fan numbers.

If allowed I will be there. For me I need something to look forward to. For me personally unless something changes cancelling football would be worse for my mental health than I think it would prevent. With that said there’s a lot of time until the first game. We will see what happens.
I've seen the tailgating thing and I don't understand the concern over that. There is more social distancing in the parking lot then there is in the stadium. I am rarely within 6 feet of someone that is not part of my group when I am tailgating. Doubly so if they limit it to half capacity.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron