Face mask or face shield?

cyclonestate

May 4, 2009
I just ordered a face shield and it's a thousand times more comfortable for me than wearing a face mask. Got some strange looks today while going to a few stores but the thing is so comfortable that I forget I have it on. It seems like research is showing it's as effective, if not more effective, than a mask in terms of protection.

Just wondering if many others have made the switch.

Reactions: simply1

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I'm thankful for anyone that wears any face coverings.

I did have a thought today though....who knew 4 months ago that I would legit have a preferred style of face mask? Or that I'd have to think about how many facemarks one needs. I'm up to 4 in my preferred style. I have 3 that I bought from Pod Save America that I don't like, but might be better in the winter. And I bought a pack of 10 disposable ones when I thought that no one would be wearing masks.

Reactions: isutrevman

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
I sold face masks for 10 years to hospitals ... we didn’t sell face shields... why? Bc they don’t protect anything.. lol..

do u know what surgeons wear? Masks..

most face masks protect for droplets just time..

it’s usually not the mask it’s the wearer and how mask is worn 99.9% of time..

CNECloneFan

Dec 1, 2012
Face shields are less effective than masks. The only thing they do is deflect micro droplets.

Imagine a smoker with a face shield.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I sold face masks for 10 years to hospitals ... we didn’t sell face shields... why? Bc they don’t protect anything.. lol..

They would be effective limiting how much someone spreads the virus if they have it which is the whole point. And while not 100% effective as PPE, they do offer some protection.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/24467190/

Reactions: isutrevman

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011

Feel like it's a use both situation

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
I need to find a new mask. The one I initially bought is just straight across the top and fogs up glasses. I think one that is 3D printed with the nose bump would be better. Anyone have suggestions?

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007
If a shield could keep me as safe as a mask, I'd wear a shield even if it cost twice as much. Masks simply make it hard to breathe.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
They would be effective limiting how much someone spreads the virus if they have it which is the whole point. And while not 100% effective as PPE, they do offer some protection.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/24467190/

Send all pub med stuff.... face shields are worthless ..

1 virus particle or 500,000.... once exposed ....exposed.

you are better off holding a shirt over your mouth and nose ... face shields are pricey and worthless ...

Reactions: SpokaneCY

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
I need to find a new mask. The one I initially bought is just straight across the top and fogs up glasses. I think one that is 3D printed with the nose bump would be better. Anyone have suggestions?

I bought these ISU face masks off amazon. Pretty good quality, and top has a moldable piece of plastic.

Amazon product

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I'm thankful for anyone that wears any face coverings.

I did have a thought today though....who knew 4 months ago that I would legit have a preferred style of face mask? Or that I'd have to think about how many facemarks one needs. I'm up to 4 in my preferred style. I have 3 that I bought from Pod Save America that I don't like, but might be better in the winter. And I bought a pack of 10 disposable ones when I thought that no one would be wearing masks.

I haven't bought multiple of them but will need to...I've noticed I'm comparing how cool some are.

ricochet

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2008
Send all pub med stuff.... face shields are worthless ..

1 virus particle or 500,000.... once exposed ....exposed.

you are better off holding a shirt over your mouth and nose ... face shields are pricey and worthless ...
But wearing the shield assumes you have it already and are trying to limit the spread. Why does it matter if you get exposed?

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
But wearing the shield assumes you have it already and are trying to limit the spread. Why does it matter if you get exposed?

If someone knows they have it then stay home..

otherwise wear a face mask.. it’s better preventing spread than shield..

im not sure why this is even a discussion?

a shield is great if there’s no openings.. basically a helmet. Otherwise wear a mask.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
Besides comfort, the other benefit to the shield is that there seem like fewer ways for people to use them incorrectly. Some of the mask “placement” I’ve seen ...

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx

Why are we seeing shields in hospitals now?

ricochet

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2008
If someone knows they have it then stay home..

otherwise wear a face mask.. it’s better preventing spread than shield..

im not sure why this is even a discussion?

a shield is great if there’s no openings.. basically a helmet. Otherwise wear a mask.
Sure, but the many of the people that have it never have symptoms and even those that do show symptoms had it for a while before the symptoms showed up. I don’t understand why some people are so fixated on the receiving side of infections. Maybe I’ve just had more exposure to Asian cultures where mask wearing is traditionally done more to prevent transmission than reception.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
You mean shields worn over their masks to extend the life of their mask and protect themselves from droplets into eyes, etc.

That's how the medical professionals I know are using face shields.
Context for the question is the post it was asked to, it wasn’t because I don’t know why.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Sure, but the many of the people that have it never have symptoms and even those that do show symptoms had it for a while before the symptoms showed up. I don’t understand why some people are so fixated on the receiving side of infections. Maybe I’ve just had more exposure to Asian cultures where mask wearing is traditionally done more to prevent transmission than reception.

This is the part that I'm pretty amazed that people don't acknowledge.