Who would be the best next Coach?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Prohm on his senior night made is sound like Niang could have a spot on his staff whenever he is done playing and even joked he probably would take his job some day so wouldn't be surprised if he gets into coaching some day.

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
I don't see Monte in coaching - I definitely could see it out of Niang or Naz.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Prohm on his senior night made is sound like Niang could have a spot on his staff whenever he is done playing and even joked he probably would take his job some day so wouldn't be surprised if he gets into coaching some day.

i think that was more of a comment on how popular Georges is. I’ve never gotten the impression that he’s super interested in coaching. Naz, on the other hand....

Reactions: BoxsterCy

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
I’d take Niang. He isn’t overly talented and could teach his moves. I think his personality would make him a good recruiter. Maybe teach shooting the way Fred taught it.

Reactions: Beernuts

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Steve Kerr, why not:)

As a Cavs fan, I didn’t want Fred because I wanted him at Iowa State. But I wonder what would have happened if the Cavs hired Fred instead of Blatt. At the time they only had Kyrie, but that same off season LeBron came home and we drafted Wiggins then traded him for Love.

I bet James could have coexisted with Fred.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I think that Naz would make a great coach. He's a natural leader and great communicator. He's kind of a fringe NBA player and I would guess he has a few more years chasing a spot in the league. But how long does he want to spend chasing and spending time in the G-League? Would he be willing to go to Europe for a few years? If he really wants to coach, those grad assistants don't make much money and even after 2 years of that, regular assistants make good cash, but it's not an easy life with being on the road recruiting all the time. I think that you really have to want it to go that route.

discydisc

Flag Designer Extraordinaire
Jan 14, 2014
Ames
Phil Jackson is 6' 8"
Georges is 6' 8"

Georges #cyclonestate
Naz is close second.

Tom Buch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 23, 2020
Bill Self, after he leaves a KU in tatters

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
While this can be a fun excercise, why do fans want former players with limited or no coaching experience to lead their teams instead of the best candidate with actual qualifications? Familiarity is the answer but it’s never made much sense to me (not unique to ISU, most schools do this).

We had people saying Seneca Wallace or Sage Rosenfels should be the head coach at Iowa State. And we got Matt Campbell.

Status
Not open for further replies.