***General Cycling Thread***

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Yeah, I think I made a mistake here. I wanted to run a little lower pressure and get a little better ride and less risk of flats since I got one on my first ride without hitting anything obvious. Live an learn. Worst case I guess I buy a tube and call it a $100 lesson.

Check YouTube there might be tubeless tips for your exact set up. I’ve just come to despise bike shops. I know there are some good ones out there but most are just bike and clothing/accessory moving factories and have poor attitudes for people that don’t want to shoot the **** with them, buy crap and just want some fast service that I’m not tooled or knowledgeable enough to do myself.

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
Recently dusted off my Cyclocross bike and got it tuned up. Might end up getting a road bike to go along with it, though my cross bike does a pretty good job.

Reactions: Colorado

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Recently dusted off my Cyclocross bike and got it tuned up. Might end up getting a road bike to go along with it, though my cross bike does a pretty good job.

Just get a separate road wheel set built and practice changing them out, that’s the beauty of a cross frame, they fit everything. Takes like 5 times and you’ll be able to do it in 20 minutes. I’ve got 3 that I change out regularly depending on who and what I’m riding.

Reactions: Snydes

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
Just get a separate road wheel set built and practice changing them out, that’s the beauty of a cross frame, they fit everything. Takes like 5 times and you’ll be able to do it in 20 minutes. I’ve got 3 that I change out regularly depending on who and what I’m riding.
I’ve thought about doing that as well.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere

This is what I do as well. I’ve got two wheel sets that even have slightly different rear cassettes. One for more pavement/light gravel and the other for gravel/off road.

I primarily ride one bike now by doing this instead of the 3 I used to have.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Check YouTube there might be tubeless tips for your exact set up. I’ve just come to despise bike shops. I know there are some good ones out there but most are just bike and clothing/accessory moving factories and have poor attitudes for people that don’t want to shoot the **** with them, buy crap and just want some fast service that I’m not tooled or knowledgeable enough to do myself.

I agree and I'm barely into it. I have all the tools so from now on I'm just going to do my own stuff. Hell, even if I screwed up both tires to the point of no return, I'd break even.

Part of me wonders about the sealant they used and if they did a great job or left open the possibility of buying new tires. I'm cynical enough when it comes to hobby retail shops and this hasn't helped but I will defend them and say that these tires don't get the best reviews either so it may be a tire issue.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
My bike repair guy doesn’t sell bikes really or much gear, so I like that about his particular shop. Depending on the metro size I think there’s some gear heads out there.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Some tires just aren’t meant for tubeless

That's the issue with these I think but when you promote them as such, you better stand behind it. I don't mind if I have to air them up every time I ride. Hell, I expect to do that. Losing what they're losing isn't acceptable, though.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Last night:

Me: Scrolls through phone
Fiance: Are you looking at bikes! You just bought a bike and you spent more than you said because you said "I won't need to upgrade if I do this right away!"
Me: Yeah, but it'd be really cool to build one from the frame!
Her: I knew this was going to go like this...

The tire company sent me out a new set last night but they said they want me to destroy the ones I have. I see very little point in doing this because I'm not going tubeless again anyway. Am I wrong in just taking them and holding on to them figuring that that makes up for the $120 it cost me to do something they said would work but didn't? I just don't see the point in destroying tires that have like 80 miles on them.

Reactions: NWICY and simply1

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Last night:

Fiance: Are you looking at bikes! You just bought a bike and you spent more than you said because you said "I won't need to upgrade if I do this right away!"

The tire company sent me out a new set last night but they said they want me to destroy the ones I have. I see very little point in doing this because I'm not going tubeless again anyway. Am I wrong in just taking them and holding on to them figuring that that makes up for the $120 it cost me to do something they said would work but didn't? I just don't see the point in destroying tires that have like 80 miles on them.

One is none. Two is one.

and if the original tires look good and don’t seem to be defective except their tubeless compatibility then I would keep them around.

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
Last night:

My friends who ride religiously always say "The correct number of bikes you need is n + 1" where n = the number of bikes you currently own.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
My friends who ride religiously always say "The correct number of bikes you need is n + 1" where n = the number of bikes you currently own.

If I get to riding religiously then I can justify it. I just need to stay out of the LBS. Specialized has way too much cool looking things.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
If I get to riding religiously then I can justify it. I just need to stay out of the LBS. Specialized has way too much cool looking things.
giphy.gif

Reactions: Snydes

LeaningCy

Jan 18, 2008
Not to hijack your thread, but does anyone have recommendations for good cycling sandals with cleats?

I've heard good things about the old Shimano line but the new ones have very mixed reviews.

(Yes I realize they'll make me look like this guy, and I accept the consequences.)
005_shimano-sd5-sandals-1525185569198-16q7y1s97o186-3b988b1-e1589462726106.jpg

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I wanna say that @brianhos has like 4 bikes plus a Peloton. Granted, they are all different types (road bikes, fat tire bike, etc.)

A Peloton is probably coming before any other bike. I wish there were a cheaper alternative other than just a stationary bike but all the other ones seem to be priced pretty close or they have downfalls.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Not to hijack your thread, but does anyone have recommendations for good cycling sandals with cleats?

I've heard good things about the old Shimano line but the new ones have very mixed reviews.

(Yes I realize they'll make me look like this guy, and I accept the consequences.)

Working on year 13 with my original shimanos. Lots of tape and Velcro patches. The ones they’ve come out with since have just never been the same. I haven’t found anything out there that has gotten me excited enough to buy them.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

My FIL has some he loves. I'll check with him. I don't really get the sandals though? It seems like the straps would rub.

Help Support Us

Become a patron