Median boomer retirement account $144,000

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Fwiw I sat down and did the math with pretty conservative parameters and came up with me needing about 2.2 million dollars to retire in about 2045. I can't remember the exact math but I have it jotted somewhere down.

I've got .2 dollars if you have the 2 million

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO
This ties back into the business ideas thread from last month but I have a rough plan for adult self-help and self-improvement classes. Financial classes, how to find a job you actually can enjoy instead of hate, basic budgeting, how to save for an emergency fund, etc. etc. and after some very soft and preliminary testing, no one really wants to pay for those things. And if they do, getting them to spend the time to learn is the next challenge. To me, its something that is needed though.

So you're going to be Dave Ramsey? That was a trick to get me to write his name, wasn't it?

Reactions: wxman1

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Here is what I have found and use. I started out a little slow but am catching up.
View attachment 72809

Alone I'm about 4 years ahead of my age not sure where we are if I combine spouse. Probably worse actually cause he started a year behind me and got a couple nice bumps the past couple years. Generally though we are saving around 20% when you include company match.

Reactions: throwittoblythe

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I have no idea what my parents finances look like as I have never poked around for specifics but I would literally fall to the floor in shock if they were anywhere near that $144k in that article. My dad is about as frugal as it comes with spending money and will find any way to stretch a penny when it comes to savings and investments as well as his spending habits. I'm 17 years into my career and at least 25 more years till I retire and already surpassed that mark in my 401k and knowing how he has managed his money I would bet he probably should be spending more during his retirement than he is. I always joke with him that he worked his butt off all those years to provide for his family that he should enjoy his retirement as I don't need him to leave us with a big inheritance.

I question just how many sources and amount of research the author of this article used too. Seems like most of it is based off 1 survey and a lot of assumptions. Everyone has a different story but this article leaves a lot to be desired I think.

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
The median boomer retirement account value is only $144,000. That seems really, really low for folks 65+, especially when we hear how boomers have all the wealth in the country. And this is after an historic 11-year bull run. Really hits home for the younger folks on here to start saving early.

https://madison.com/business/investment/personal-finance/the-median-retirement-savings-balance-among-baby-boomers-is-shockingly-low/article_333016c3-5318-51cf-b17e-ad35f1055554.html#:~:text=The median savings balance among,amount of work to do.
That actually sounds a bit high--and it'[s based on a survey. I know, median, but there are a hell of a lot of people with no savings.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
These are just retirement account balances. Regular taxable investment accounts, CDs, real estate, businesses, etc wouldn’t count towards that number.

I’m sure it’s still not great but those other assets would help make retirement easier too.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Are we ******** about how lazy kids are these days in a thread about boomers not having enough to fund their own retirement?

Surprising I know:rolleyes:, this thread has veered from the original topic, but it has been a very interesting read.

skibumspe

Oct 8, 2006
South Korea
There are many of us out there in education telling our students to look into the trades. I have been telling students that message for at least 15 years.
I had a former student last month, say on Facebook, "no one ever told me about going into the trades." "I told him I had many times when I had him in class." He replied "that was one of the few." But he was told repeatedly. Do not believe the propaganda that these kids are not being told about the trades, they are, many just see that them as hard work and they do not want to work that hard to earn money.

Good on ya....as was I during my near decade in Florida....unfortunately, there has been a shunning of this career path by many in education & a negative stigma attached to choosing that path.

When entire segments of the education system, government, & society in general repeat the mantra to all students that the only way to success is a college degree, it is going to have a profoundly negative impact.

Also, I would agree regards to the 'hard work' mentality.

skibumspe

Oct 8, 2006
South Korea
Don't know what you're going for with the "civic aspects" portion, but I really wish my career counselor talked more to be about job/personal satisfaction rather than just paycheck potential when I was determining my path. My career feels much more suited to making a company money rather than helping others.

Anyway, good luck on the book. It seems much needed.

Looking at this as a variety of things but getting students more involved in their local communities through legitimate volunteer opportunities; understanding & engaging in local communities & governments, greater education on civic responsibilities / issues / duties; ethics coursework of some kind (stealing that one from the Korean education system); etc.

It may not be 'sexy' to understand politics, governance, legislation, etc. but showing students the impact they can have on a local level is a good start.

Agreed with job / personal satisfaction....seems that chasing the money is, infinite economic growth, & greed have underscored so much of the messaging in many facets of life.

Thanks, I'm sure, like everything, it may not be received the same way by everyone but my hope is that it at least sparks a conversation to shift the priorities of modern education to develop the whole student on a variety of levels, not just preparing them for 40+ years of making companies lots of money without also considering the negative consequences that can have on individuals, communities, societies, etc.

Last edited:

skibumspe

Oct 8, 2006
South Korea
I learned when my dad passed away you are not required to pay off credit cards. Of course I learned this after I paid a couple small balances and then was pissed at myself for paying them. Also, the VA didn't make me pay any of his remaining bills.

Realized this same thing when my dad passed three years ago & mom had already paid off a couple outstanding balances that she was, in no way, attached to.

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
At least they will get SS...

I was hearing that in the 1980s. Very common belief. Someday it may come true. If the right things happen to individuals, maybe there will be those who dont need it. Credit is the biggest thief of dollars. Second would be living beyond your means.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron