Shaq or Duncan?

• Shaq

Votes: 44 68.8%
  • Duncan

Votes: 20 31.3%

• Total voters

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I've decided Shaq but just because without him, we don't have these, and without these...we have nothing.

Reactions: LindenCy

HoraceGrant

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 30, 2011
young Shaq would have been an insane rim running, lob catching monster in today’s NBA. Lakers Shaq would have been run off the court and a complete liability in the pick and roll.

Lakers Shaq would absolutely not be “run off the court”. We are talking about Shaq not Daryl Dawkins. His teams would definitely have to compensate some for a lack of foot speed, but good teams still find a way. Brook Lopez basically doesn’t guard pick and rolls for the Bucks. He constantly drops in P&R coverage, and he remains a valuable player, and Shaq is a lot better than Brook Lopez.

Reactions: Doc

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Lakers Shaq would absolutely not be “run off the court”. We are talking about Shaq not Daryl Dawkins. His teams would definitely have to compensate some for a lack of foot speed, but good teams still find a way. Brook Lopez basically doesn’t guard pick and rolls for the Bucks. He constantly drops in P&R coverage, and he remains a valuable player, and Shaq is a lot better than Brook Lopez.
Plus he would require other teams to either give up 6 inches and 100 pounds at their center spot or carry a Kendrick Perkins type to guard him.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
Back in that era of the NBA of posting up your centers, Olajuwon was freaking unstoppable. That dream shake froze up a lot of defenders.
I remember him in his prime. Houston spread the floor and they were just unstoppable. Double-team him and he still scores. Triple-team him and they score three. It was ridiculous.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I’m curious how people would rank the big men currently in the NBA. Embiid, Gobert, KAT, Ayton, Jokic, etc.

I would probably go Embiid. I don’t like his game, but he is the one most likely to lead his team to a title. It’s a shame him and Simmons don’t complement each other better.

stretchclone

Jan 1, 2008
SW Iowa
I feel the game is more finesse now than it was when Shaq played. The refs will not let you bull doze your way to a dunk anymore. Yes Shaq shot a high % but they were all bull doze dunks. If I am starting a team, I take Duncan. He can shoot from outside and is more agile than Shaq. Duncan could play the 4 and create mismatches. Today's game is built more for Duncan not Shaq.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Take one to be the cornerstone of a team? I'm going with Duncan. Model of consistency, showed up in big moments, great teammate (he never had a problem with Parker or Ginobili and eventually Kawhi taking some of the spotlight).

Shaq in his Magic days was a force of nature and a dominant player when he felt like it in his Laker days, but he was kind of a pain in the ass to deal with and he spent too many seasons using the regular season to play his way into shape. The Lakers, Heat, and Suns all eventually just gave up on him and dealt him away.

Higher highs with Shaq and if you're more concerned with having a guy who sells tickets and ensures you'll get all the choice TV spots it's a no brainer, but you take Duncan and your team is a lock to contend for the next decade, year in and year out and without all the extra drama. And if we're talking about them playing in today's game I think Duncan would be better able to adapt.

Bonus: Duncan was one of the few bigs in the league who could go straight up with Shaq in the post and hold his own on defense. Makes life a hell of a lot easier for his four teammates.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron