Both Gach Transfer Target

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
I think a lot of Gach's decision comes down to whether or not Minnesota's PG is going to withdraw from the draft or not.. If he does withdraw, Gach is most likely ours. If he doesn't, he's definitely going to Minnesota.

The best likelihood Both gets a waiver is based on the proximity of his school choice. That's why Iowa State and Minnesota are the front runners (known).

I suspect Gach initially was convinced to leave Utah and going to UofM with a behind the doors deal from Pitino to get to play on ball some but with Carr. We've already seen him do that with the Drake C early this year. *allegedly. ;)
My hope is ISU contacting him was unexpected and Prohm's pitch on his PG role, prior pro success and same proximity waiver chances (if not better with ISU track record) had turned his head. I think even most Minnesota fans realize the situation in Ames is better for Gach today.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
I think a lot of Gach's decision comes down to whether or not Minnesota's PG is going to withdraw from the draft or not.. If he does withdraw, Gach is most likely ours. If he doesn't, he's definitely going to Minnesota.

The best likelihood Both gets a waiver is based on the proximity of his school choice. That's why Iowa State and Minnesota are the front runners (known).
The deadline to withdraw from the draft might as late as August 3rd. I would think Gach would want to make a decision well before that. I believe basketball players are returning to campus in the next couple weeks at most schools.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
The deadline to withdraw from the draft might as late as August 3rd. I would think Gach would want to make a decision well before that. I believe basketball players are returning to campus in the next couple weeks at most schools.

If he's seeking a waiver he'll definitely want to make a decision ASAP.

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
What are the Minnesota boards saying? I have a feeling that if it’s ISU it’ll remain quiet until Monday after the JCL leak.

Tom Buch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 23, 2020
Minnesota boards say them or us due to potential transfer exception. Mixed on whether Carr’s NBA decision makes a difference. Seems to me he’d be safer in Ames than Minneapolis.

nallen34

Apr 9, 2010
Ankeny, IA
I think a big reason he transferred from Utah was because Rylan Jones, a freshman who averaged 4.5 apg was going to continue to be the primary ball handler next season. Marcus Carr for Minnesota isn't even projected a second rounder right now. I would be surprised if he wasn't back for Minnesota. And he will obviously be the primary ball handler considering he averaged 6.7 apg last season. So if it's down to us and Minnesota and he wants to be the primary ball handler under a coach that puts PGs in the league about every year, well Iowa State seems like a no brainer to me.

O and his two most recent follows on Twitter are Niang and Monte. So that's a pretty good sign imo.

I'd be surprised if we don't land him tbh.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
Maryland 247 guy wrote an article last week that if it weren’t for waiver he feels Gach would already be at Maryland...hmm...Maryland is kinda a train wreck isn’t it right now?

Minnesota boards pretty much saying Gach would fit in nicely with what Minnesota has coming back..etc..

Guess the question is does Both Gach want a spot where he becomes automatic starter at PG? If so then ISU would def seem to make most sense IMO...

CyState85

May 8, 2019
If Gach is immediately eligible, I’d have to think ISU is an NCAA team. We lost 6 guys from last year’s team that essentially contributed nothing (Leech and Anderson never played, Grill and Griffin shouldn’t have played, Lewis was spotty, and Haliburton was hurt the last handful of games). Add 4 double digit D-1 scorers (Johnson, Gach, JCL, and potentially Harris) and this might be the greatest talent upgrade from one year to the next that I can remember. We know Young is a 9 and 6 guy, Jackson could be a 3 and D guy, and Conditt could have a big year. Anything from the newcomers is gravy at this point.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Hope your right...I know the staff felt great about Smith and DeJulius until the day before they announced as well

True, but the staff felt good about Harris and JCL too... part of the game if you make a players top 5 you have a legit shot. I do think ISU makes the most logical sense for his and the team goals but that doesn't always end in a commitment.
Maryland suddenly entering the discussion this late has my spidy sense peaked.

ChickenNuggetMan

Drinks beer with CycloneLarry69
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 24, 2017
Minneapolis
Getting Gach would be huge, he’s the long, skilled player we’ve had a lot of success with in recent years. Plus we sorely need a good PG, and he is that and then some. If we get Gach, and a waiver for him and Harris, we are in business next season. If not, it should only be one more year to suffer through before it’s fun again.

Either way, a lot hinges on him. Go get em, Steve!

Reactions: isutrevman

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron