Neighborhood Cats

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Should cats be allowed to roam free?

• Yes

Votes: 65 39.4%
  • No

Votes: 100 60.6%

• Total voters

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I think you should keep your pet cat inside, too, for the cat's sake and for the sake of the cat not murdering its way through the local bird population for fun.

But saying you saw a cat so you can do harm to it is absurd and sadistic.

Dogs. The barking. Shut the **** up at 4:30 AM already.

I wouldn't purposely do harm. But I'm also not going to avoid putting chemicals on the lawn or put poison out to kill the mice under the shed just because the neighbors let their cat do whatever it wants.

I also agree on the dogs. We've had several dogs. That's the one thing that I was especially conciuous about because I know how annoying that is

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Cats kill a lot of song birds, **** everywhere, and like to taunt my dogs. We had cats too so it’s not like I’m anti cat, they were indoors and not destroying the natural environment. I’m not going to shoot them or anything, but it’s not a responsible way to have cats imo.

Reactions: Fishhead

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
If they are out doors all their life, it is shorter. I don’t think letting them out a couple hours a day shortens their life and is probably healthy for them.

I'll disagree but my baby can't speak for himself... Check that - Nemo says meow.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Outdoor cats are completely devastating to wildlife and no way they should be allowed outdoors. They are non native and kill millions of native animals each year. Our native wildlife have a hard enough time as it is with habitat loss.

Anyone in favor of cats outdoors needs to read up on the subject. There are plenty of articles online about it
This. I love cats, but feral cats are a menace. They wreck native wildlife.
https://abcbirds.org/article/kittycam-reveals-high-levels-of-wildlife-being-killed-by-outdoor-cats/

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
I like them when they just travel through. They keep the chipmunk population down. Scare the crap out of me though when I go outside to pee at night and it’s just sitting there in my back steps.
No indoor plumbing?

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
Cats tend to **** in my kids sandbox instead of the yard. Much worse in my mind.

But as with any pets, are the owners just letting them wander around without trying to contain them, or are they just occasionally getting out? I just think that there should be a reasonable attempt by the owner to keep their pet in their own yard, regardless of what kind of animal it is. Whether that's a fence, physical or invisible, or some sort of tie out.
Cats are liquids, so fences don't do much

Reactions: BoxsterCy

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
bHfZ3nW.jpg

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
I wonder if the people yucking it up in here about hurting other people's pets would feel the same way if somebody did the same to their dog if it got loose.[/QUOTE
Cats don’t wake me up or bark all ******* day either.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
There's a whole herd of them here. Several of the neighbors let their's run loose and a few half feral cats live under a neighbors garage. They've killed enough song birds in my yard that the finches won't come to my nyger seed feeder. They've also made a portion of my garden their personal latrine. I ******* hate em but not enough to shoot them in town. The owners are typical pet owners, and by typical I mean irresponsible ass-holes who don't give **** about anybody but themselves. I did screen off my lower deck so they can't hang out there and **** all over as easily.

Hey, now. I’m not irresponsible.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Feral cats and barn cats are a different breed...
The study I posted is about how damaging pet cats that live outdoors for a part of their day are, and the study was conducted in a city. Feral cats and barn cats are probably worse, but its not like neighborhood cats and their offspring are just going to stay in the town or city.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
I have cats that live strictly indoors. Cats shouldn't be able to roam freely, but **** the people that use them as target practice.

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
As long as they are spayed or neutered and one house doesn’t have a crazy amount of them (>2) then live and let live.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
I think you should keep your pet cat inside, too, for the cat's sake and for the sake of the cat not murdering its way through the local bird population for fun.

But saying you saw a cat so you can do harm to it is absurd and sadistic.

Dogs. The barking. Shut the **** up at 4:30 AM already.

Quite literally, the only time my dog barks is at the ******* cats.