Whiny millenials and their parents

Status
Not open for further replies.

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010
35 here I think I'm right on the line of upper millennial. I like to consider myself the Oregon Trail group. I remember life before internet hit (about 6th-7th grade).

It's a solid age group. I remember when my school switched out the Apple 2e's for new state of the art Macintosh computers with built in CD-Roms and internet capabilities. Bought 50 them, tossed them in a room labeled 'Classroom Of The Future' and connected them all to a single 90's era cable modem. Didn't work for ****, all everyone wanted to do was go back to buying 99 boxes of bullets and hunting buffalo.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Just turned 38 (going on 60 it feels some days) and technically a millennial being from 1982. My wife is 1 year older and I love to piss her off by reminding her she’s also technically a millennial.

Claimed my username on FB when it rolled out, saw everybody posting useless **** about their daily routine and remembered why I’m antisocial so haven’t been back.

Yes, I’m sure to you boomers people come off whining (that’s all people really do on FB beyond narcissistic boasts) but you have to remember not all of us were around during the last pandemic like you were so first world problems are still problems:)

Last edited:

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Every thread with millennial in the title should first come with a questionnaire asking the OP the age of people they are actually ******** about before it is posted.

If a millennial was an undergrad at ISU they would be considered non-traditional. Hell I am at the end of Gen X and my wife the beginning of the millennials and we have a high schooler next year!

Reactions: cowgirl836

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Once you have kids, you don't have a life until they are gone. And some of them can be pretty slow to leave the nest. :D

I'm 48, daughters are 19 and 15. I have buddies I graduated HS with who have 3-year-olds. I couldn't imagine being where they are.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
I love generalizing hundreds of millions of people into a handful of categories based on only 1 metric (age), it makes so much sense.

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
If you get on Facebook, you would think the world was coming to an end. Staring school early puts too much of a burden on them and their kids. Can't get into their apartments that early,( I'm sure most landlords need renters) and their poor little kids won't be home until the night before Thanksgiving. Buckle up, Buttercups. They can't wear masks to classes. Life is sure tough " Karens":rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:.

A farmer whining about others whining. We've gone full circle here.

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
35 here I think I'm right on the line of upper millennial. I like to consider myself the Oregon Trail group. I remember life before internet hit (about 6th-7th grade).

I remember the first time I used the internet.

10th grade - I was in debate (yes -- nerd alert!) The teacher/sponsor got a modem from the school and didn't want to try to figure it out, so said "one of you kids hook it up." A couple of us guys figured it out, got it going, and launched whatever web browser there was (probably Netscape). We didn't know about web searches, and there was no Google, so the conversation went something like this:

"We need to find a website!"
"I don't know any websites!"
"Well, let's find one!"

Someone had a skittles bag, and we went to www.skittles.com ... it very slowly loaded over the next 3 minutes and history was made!!! :)

Reactions: NWICY

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I remember the first time I used the internet.

10th grade - I was in debate (yes -- nerd alert!) The teacher/sponsor got a modem from the school and didn't want to try to figure it out, so said "one of you kids hook it up." A couple of us guys figured it out, got it going, and launched whatever web browser there was (probably Netscape). We didn't know about web searches, and there was no Google, so the conversation went something like this:

"We need to find a website!"
"I don't know any websites!"
"Well, let's find one!"

Someone had a skittles bag, and we went to www.skittles.com ... it very slowly loaded over the next 3 minutes and history was made!!! :)

I was in 6th grade. We were to research roller coasters using search engines. I used webcrawler and hotbot.

In 7th grade I remember the internet/security was in such infancy that a classmate of mine figured out how to dismantle firewalls to the middle-school we attended.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
I love generalizing hundreds of millions of people into a handful of categories based on only 1 metric (age), it makes so much sense.

There are certainly general trends of groups of people. Nothing applies to everyone. But there are very defining trends. Boomers grew up with very little technology but many invented the things like computers. Gen X like myself grew up with computers but cell phones are not our thing, we also remember what it was like to fly before that required getting a dose of radiation and groping. The exact age groups are getting blurred but they should be at least 18-24 yrs and I think getting wider because people are having kids at older ages.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Damn millennials using up all the internet hours. Gonna have to find another AOL disk sometime soon before I run out

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
It's a solid age group. I remember when my school switched out the Apple 2e's for new state of the art Macintosh computers with built in CD-Roms and internet capabilities. Bought 50 them, tossed them in a room labeled 'Classroom Of The Future' and connected them all to a single 90's era cable modem. Didn't work for ****, all everyone wanted to do was go back to buying 99 boxes of bullets and hunting buffalo.

You have killed a bajillion pounds of food. You can only carry that small rabbit back to your wagon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron