Kirk Ferentz getting sued for being racist

Status
Not open for further replies.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
Thinking out loud here...but it's worth remembering here that Brian "reports" to Barta. This was a laughable formality before but could be an interesting card for Barta to play here. He could fire Brian for cause and there wouldn't be anything Kirk could do about it. Hell, Kirk might even throw a tantrum and resign himself.

It would be an interesting way for Barta to take back some control of his football program, particularly while Kirk is wounded, and eliminate that thorny problem of Kirk angling for Brian to take over when he retires. Plus it would show the world (recruits, in particular) they're serious about this and will actually do something painful to make things right.

It'll never happen but it would be an interesting play.
You forget that Barta reports to KF.

Reactions: Statefan10

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I know that I keep going back to this, but look back at how the fans and the media of Penn State reacted when individuals started accusing Sandusky and Joe Paterno.

Denial ain't just a river in Egypt.

It's a coping mechanism when you don't want to believe someone you thought was great turns out to be not so great.

Don't forget the other phases coming up next from Hawk fans:
Anger - this is Barta/media/BLM/players/RobHowe's fault!
Bargaining - fire Doyle & Barta, suspend Brian, keep Kirk so he can fix it!
Depression - rewatching Fry-era games on the VHS
Acceptance - can't wait to see Coach Bielema on the sidelines again!

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Denial ain't just a river in Egypt.

It's a coping mechanism when you don't want to believe someone you thought was great turns out to be not so great.

Don't forget the other phases coming up next from Hawk fans:
Anger - this is Barta/media/BLM/players/RobHowe's fault!
Bargaining - fire Doyle & Barta, suspend Brian, keep Kirk so he can fix it!
Depression - rewatching Fry-era games on the VHS
Acceptance - can't wait to see Coach Bielema on the sidelines again!
This all isn't over yet either. There are going to be more players stepping up and voicing their experiences.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Tiger King going down was the rage 3 months ago. Tiger Hawk going down may be the next big thing.

It’s not just the football program, the whole thing is rotten.

0qo8trci8qo41.png

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
Yes, I can agree with most of this. I think that what this all boils down to is this - Doyle (and to a lesser extent Brian) have said a few racist/racially insensitive things, the coaches in general bully the players and are really tough on them, and the strictness of the program make it such that black athletes don’t feel comfortable to be themselves when around the coaches.

All of that stuff is very bad, and needs to be fixed immediately. However, the vast majority of players have said they don’t want anyone fired, they just want things to change. Ferentz is still running the program like he did 20 years ago, and today’s players are making it known that they aren’t okay with that anymore. Some of the posters on here are making it seem like Iowa’s coaches are virulent racists, which is beyond ridiculous.
So to clarify, in best case scenario, you agree that this is a bad look and there is significant change that needs to happen. I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt that when you say they don't want anyone fired, you aren't including keeping Doyle around? So would appropriate action in best case scenario be fire Doyle, some sort of punishment for BF and KF keeps his job but it's become a lot more challenge due to public perception?

Again... we haven't even talked about worst case scenario where this IS racially motivated treatment. Kirk knew about it and willfully participate and ignored it, while denying that it was ever brought up to him by any player or their family. Enabled Doyle/BF and others to mistreat players and backed them over the players when challenged on it. All of which could be true.

IceCyIce

Aug 17, 2009
Grimes
Just listened to the Wadley FB Post. These are state employees, I'm surprised the Governor hasn't stepped in and asked "what the hell is going on"? "Everyone is on administrative leave until this gets figured out?"

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
FYI their producer has done some work for Hawkeye Nation recently. Considering what happened to Howe yesterday, it wouldn't surprise me if the message was sent to Murph and Andy to take in easy on KF.
I assume you're talking about Andrew Downs. I know he is a big Hawk fan, but I don't believe for a second he tells Murph and Andy what they and can't say.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
So Iowa Football and Barta are just gonna stay silent huh?

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
So Iowa Football and Barta are just gonna stay silent huh?

They’re doing the strategy of not giving oxygen to the story in the hopes it burns out. It’s a common practice and because the local media seems to be unwilling to upset the hand that feeds them, may just work.

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston
Just listened to the Wadley FB Post. These are state employees, I'm surprised the Governor hasn't stepped in and asked "what the hell is going on"? "Everyone is on administrative leave until this gets figured out?"
But but but but they aren’t paid by tax payer dollars......

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
They’re doing the strategy of not giving oxygen to the story in the hopes it burns out. It’s a common practice and because the local media seems to be unwilling to upset the hand that feeds them, may just work.
They're going to have to come out sometime though. Saying absolutely nothing shows guilt, especially in a situation like this. I'm guessing they're getting all of their ducks in a row before they say something. They're going to need it. It'll be interesting how they try to figure their way out of all of this because there is a lot to unfold.

aauummm

April is International Guitar Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
But but but but they aren’t paid by tax payer dollars......
I know that is an excuse that they are using but it doesn't matter where the funding comes from for the position, they are still state employees and are under the state merit system. There are literally hundreds if not more non-tax payer funds that are used to pay salaries but those positions are still state employees.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
1600 AM locally Sheronda is on but the station audio is all messed up... idk how in 2020you can mess this up

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston
I know that is an excuse that they are using but it doesn't matter where the funding comes from for the position, they are still state employees and are under the state merit system. There are literally hundreds if not more non-tax payer funds that are used to pay salaries but those positions are still state employees.
Oh I agree.....I’ve always thought that statement was horse ****. I know it’s technically true, but it’s still ridiculous to think they’re just this money making machine completely independent from the state school.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Anyone with any sense who has listened to Brian Ferentz speak for 5 minutes or has otherwise observed him in public has to understand that he is a complete *******. So the sad part is NOT that it is surprising.

He is the “entitled one”. What an overgrown puke!

erinmd32

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2015

Is all media afraid of Iowa athletics in the state?

Status
Not open for further replies.