Kirk Ferentz getting sued for being racist

Status
Not open for further replies.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Well, we do know that DJK isn’t credible.

Do you think Web sites should publish anything that Bart's says?

No idea how much of what DJK says is true. Plenty of he said/ he said stuff.

On the other hand, whether the locker room theft or bandgate we know Barta engages in complete lies.

I'm glad you'll be consistent and confirm 100% that Barta isn't credible and stories quoting him should not run on HN.

Reactions: aauummm

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Chris, Chmelka referenced Hawkeye Nation not having a good relationship with the U of I like Cyclone Fanatic does with ISU. He said it quickly and sort of in passing so I wasn't sure if you guys heard that on the air.

Do you know what he's referencing there? A specific incident, or something more general like the U of I's known standoffishness and attempt to control the media people who cover them?

By saying he has to see everything controversial, he just killed any reason anybody ever had to take that site seriously. And maybe nobody did anyway, I don't frequent it myself so I don't know.
Wasn't there a contentious issue where posters over there were wondering why Rob wasn't asking Fran tough questions? I thought it got testy even from Rob's end. Maybe he ended up asking Fran the question? I dont go there so maybe someone can enlighten me.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Wasn't there a contentious issue where posters over there were wondering why Rob wasn't asking Fran tough questions? I thought it got testy even from Rob's end. Maybe he ended up asking Fran the question? I dont go there so maybe someone can enlighten me.

Or did Garza going ape **** suddenly just make Fran seem like not trash.

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
(wipes sweat from forehead)

Just for clarification: I would have run the DJK interview through sources if I was in charge over there. I would have - based on his history - checked it for credibility. But I wouldn't have just thrown it out.

I called Rob this morning to invite him on the show to talk about all of his reporting. Then HN took it down. It bothered me so we reached out to Joe to tell him that I was going to come down on the decision and give him an opportunity to share his side.

I'm not perfect. Neither is our site. What bothered me is hanging his employee out to dry like that. That bothered me more than any of the journalistic conversation to be had - and there is a lot of it.

I feel really bad for Rob Howe tonight.
Rob sounded exhausted. You could feel his anxiety and stress through the radio.

I thought your interview of Joe was pointed but fair. It does see they want to run a fan site first, but also want a seat at the media table to get credentials. I don’t see how the President of a fan club can run an objective media site.

I was very glad you asked about vetting and verifying every other tweet and accusation that have been raised this week. Obviously that has not happened, but Rob was allowed to post those stories. Joe’s answer about Daniels simply being credible was weak IMO.

erinmd32

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2015
(wipes sweat from forehead)

Just for clarification: I would have run the DJK interview through sources if I was in charge over there. I would have - based on his history - checked it for credibility. But I wouldn't have just thrown it out.

I called Rob this morning to invite him on the show to talk about all of his reporting. Then HN took it down. It bothered me so we reached out to Joe to tell him that I was going to come down on the decision and give him an opportunity to share his side.

I'm not perfect. Neither is our site. What bothered me is hanging his employee out to dry like that. That bothered me more than any of the journalistic conversation to be had - and there is a lot of it.

I feel really bad for Rob Howe tonight.
It was a really bad look by Joe to almost immediately discipline his employee on air---he didn't come off very professional today.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
Rob sounded exhausted. You could feel his anxiety and stress through the radio.

I thought your interview of Joe was pointed but fair. It does see they want to run a fan site first, but also want a seat at the media table to get credentials. I don’t see how the President of a fan club can run an objective media site.

I was very glad you asked about vetting and verifying every other tweet and accusation that have been raised this week. Obviously that has not happened, but Rob was allowed to post those stories. Joe’s answer about Daniels simply being credible was weak IMO.

he did sound exhausted...We might have to start a Gofund me site for a Rob soon.

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
On the Hawkeye Nation website:

If you Google "University of Iowa Football", News. You will get the Derrell Johnson Statement On His Time with Iowa Football.

Click and you get the "Fumble" statement below.

Interesting so much hate for Iowa Staters apparently interested in Iowa Football news.

https://www.hawkeyenation.com/footb...anos-statement-on-his-time-with-iowa-football

Fumble.

It appears you've reached a page that isn't working because:
  • Just like Iowa State's history of January bowl game appearances, it does not exist.
  • You have a "degree" from Iowa State and don't type so well.
  • There is a technical error, which is vicariously still Iowa State's fault since they invented the computer.

Living
Rent
Free

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
This is not me being political at all, just me being realistic, but Police Departments have done far worse with far less evidence of a crime as it pertains to African Americans.

If Kirk Ferentz called the police and told them he knew there were drugs in that house, I would have no doubt in my mind that they could've used that as probable cause given Kirk's reputation he had built at that point in Iowa City.

Yeah take it from a criminal defense attorney, that isn’t enough for a search warrant. A garbage pull along with an anonymous source would work but they wouldn’t have gotten a search warrant on Ferentz word alone unless he was a reliable informant for the police and had actually seen the drugs inside the house.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
After the first week, here's where we're at:

Barta: "Kirk you're the boss, just tell me what you want me to do. My voicemail box is full, so don't worry, I'm not answering any calls"

Ferentz: "Sounds like a plan, counsel. Deny, don't recall, listen, committees, got it. No, I don't have any damning correspondence. Like you said- "if it doesn't exist, you must acquit."

Doyle: "Yeah, OK Kirk, I know what you've got to do. I agree, doubling down will force that dumba$$ Barta to pay up good.. By the way, can you say some good things about the kid on his way out?"

Jr: "I know you said to shutup and ride this out, but Dad, can I have more than one pacifier?"

Wallace:"Yeah, I can stay low. If Doyle goes, will it be enough for me to hang on?"

Howe: "I'd do it all over again and know it was the right thing to do. On to the next thing."

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Yeah take it from a criminal defense attorney, that isn’t enough for a search warrant. A garbage pull along with an anonymous source would work but they wouldn’t have gotten a search warrant on Ferentz word alone unless he was a reliable informant for the police and had actually seen the drugs inside the house.

I believe a lot of what DJK says happened, but yeah that one was a stretch.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
Multiple things can be true at the same time, despite the binary thoughts most people have.

DJK could be a cocky ass.
DJK could have had drug problems.
DJK could even have been a PITA.

But even if that is all true (don't know), the following could also all be true...

KF could have known about all these things.
KF could have covered for Doyle.
KF could even be a racist piece of ****.

It's not always a simple choice between is somebody a stand-up person while being treated horribly, or a horrible person getting what they deserve. There can be horrible people that still get **** on by racists.

Perfectly said. Everyone wants a hero or a villain nowadays. The reality is many of these situations have multiple dimensions and a lot layers. DJK is not necessarily a protagonist but nevertheless he should have never been treated like that. KF isn’t a villain but his actions certainly tend to show some situations of disparate treatment depending on the color of your skin.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Oh. My. God.

Uh, I wonder if the musical selection for that video ever gave them pause.

This is just perfect for Iowa. A PR effort sure to garner lots of attention, that doesn't actually solve anything. Bonus points for the reference to ANF which has zero to do with the issue at hand.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
This is reaching bill Cosby levels of critical mass. 1 of these like 200 incidents will hang on kf.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Help Support Us

Become a patron