Kirk Ferentz getting sued for being racist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carlisle Clone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 2, 2019
If Doyle is retained, outside pressure is going to be immense and will be a massive PR nightmare. For Iowa fans and the AD, they need to realize that there are no "good" options. Retain Doyle and the PR nightmare will be incredible.

I firmly believe they will ultimately cut ties with Doyle, let KF play the "I didn't know anything" card, roll out some stupid action plan and policy changes, moron media will believe all that nonsense, and Kirk's able to stick around a few more years and let this fade enough to go out on his terms.

There is a chance that if Ferentz has Doyle's back and they retain him that the outside pressure will be massive to clean house.

There will be "courses" assigned to coaches as part of the process. Doyle got an award for putting kids in the hospital. I wont believe he is gone until i see him on tv walking to his car with a box.

TrianglePlace

May 13, 2020
I've been in a group text message chat with 3 former Hawkeye players for years that were all there when DJK was there and they said the trash can thing happened "multiple times" and he had to walk around with it for nearly half of the entire practice

There is a poster on HR that text with a former player that played with DJK and called the drug bust story laughable. He said DJK was late to practice often, skipped class, skipped leaning center hours, skipped training table and only about 4-5 guys on the team liked him.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Did you read the part of DJK's statement where he mentioned he does not know if there was any racial intent by KF or Doyle? He said the rules and behaviors seemed to be tailored towards African Americans, but cannot prove there was racism there. However, if it walks like a duck and quack likes a duck, well, you know the rest.

It's no secret that KF has problems with guys who he thinks carry a bigger than usual ego, who have big personalities and like to talk, and who don't conform to his "awe shucks" program persona and Patriotesque closed-mouthedness. Rightly or wrongly, he seems to automatically deem them as "me first" and not "team first" guys. The dynamic between KF and DJK is the starkest example of this. Seems like in KF's eyes, DJK didn't carry himself right, dress right, sound right, and his disdain seemed to grow from there. It's a shame, and I don't disbelieve everything DJK claims to have happened between the two of them. Not sure I buy all of it, but I do believe much of it. I do think if it was driven by racism, we'd be hearing it straight up from DJK and other players the same they've directly called out Doyle, who needs to go.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
There will be "courses" assigned to coaches as part of the process. Doyle got an award for putting kids in the hospital. I wont believe he is gone until i see him on tv walking to his car with a box.

There is no way they can retain Doyle after all of this. There are way too many players that have spoken up and if they kept him it would blow up in a major way.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
It's no secret that KF has problems with guys who he thinks carry a bigger than usual ego, who have big personalities and like to talk, and who don't conform to his "awe shucks" program persona and Patriotesque closed-mouthedness. Rightly or wrongly, he seems to automatically deem them as "me first" and not "team first" guys. The dynamic between KF and DJK is the starkest example of this. Seems like in KF's eyes, DJK didn't carry himself right, dress right, sound right, and his disdain seemed to grow from there. It's a shame, and I don't disbelieve everything DJK claims to have happened between the two of them. Not sure I buy all of it, but I do believe much of it. I do think if it was driven by racism, we'd be hearing it straight up from DJK and other players the same they've directly called out Doyle, who needs to go.

Yeah, the you usually have three sides to each story. Person As, Person Bs, and then the truth; which usually falls between A and Bs.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I don’t think Ferentz will lose his job over this in a blatant way. Also I think there are avenues where Iowa’s program recovers. Doyle is young enough that he could turn up somewhere besides Iowa and have a successful career. The only thing that is absolutely gone forever now is Kirk Ferentz’s reputation as a statesman and guy who cares about every member of his program.
I don't think he will get fired either but if I'm the AD (LOL Barta) I don't think I can be convinced that Kirk is going to change. The whole "I never saw anything" excuse is lame and chicken $hit. If Kirk wants to stay he needs to come out and say that he probably should have done more regarding Doyle instead of hiding behind the I never saw it excuse.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
By all accounts, Doyle should be fired. The question then becomes whether or not Kirk deserves to be terminated as he allowed all of this to happen under his roof. His claim that he had no idea any of this was going on and claims he never once heard of any racial disparity is laughable. My opinion doesn't really matter, but to me, he deserves as much blame as Doyle. As the head coach you are responsible for every little piece of the program. If these problems happened a few times and Kirk addressed it with him, then Kirk would've been doing his job. Some of these accusations actually note that Kirk was very well aware of Doyle's behavior and further blamed players for not respecting Doyle.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Not down playing the racism at all...its obviously a factor here but DJK's situation is absolutely ******* disgusting regardless of his race. Any defense of Kirk in that situation is sickening.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
By the way, I found an absolute DOOZY of a take on Twitter by an Iowa fan..

"Was Iowa football at a competitive disadvantage because of racism? Did Iowa leave any wins on the field?"

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
By all accounts, Doyle should be fired. The question then becomes whether or not Kirk deserves to be terminated as he allowed all of this to happen under his roof. His claim that he had no idea any of this was going on and claims he never once heard of any racial disparity is laughable. My opinion doesn't really matter, but to me, he deserves as much blame as Doyle. As the head coach you are responsible for every little piece of the program. If these problems happened a few times and Kirk addressed it with him, then Kirk would've been doing his job. Some of these accusations actually note that Kirk was very well aware of Doyle's behavior and further blamed players for not respecting Doyle.

Agree. You can't put 100+ people, at a time and having people rotate in and out, without having racial, cultural, and other issues arise periodically over 20 years. I'm sure there will be a few (hopefully small ones that are addressed quickly) that happen under Campbell if they already haven't.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Losing a $6 million lawsuit, now this? Where in the hell is Barta at? Hiding up Fran and Margaret's skirt? All things start at the top and trickle down and he is no where to be heard from. Typical Barta fashion.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Right. Doyle and Ferentz wanted players to conform to the Iowa football culture, which is a culture that just so happens to frown upon a lot of the things that young black men consider important to their culture like their music, clothes, tattoos, etc.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
By the way, I found an absolute DOOZY of a take on Twitter by an Iowa fan..

"Was Iowa football at a competitive disadvantage because of racism? Did Iowa leave any wins on the field?"
Because football is all a lot of that fan base has to look forward to.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Agree. You can't put 100+ people, at a time and having people rotate in and out, without having racial, cultural, and other issues arise periodically over 20 years. I'm sure there will be a few (hopefully small ones that are addressed quickly) that happen under Campbell if they already haven't.
I think that this Iowa situation is going to affect a lot of football programs and how they're individually run in a positive way. Coaches are going to use that as a good example of what not to do and how they can help encourage the conversations within the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.