Kirk Ferentz getting sued for being racist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
It wasnt in place when Dochterman published his article about it.

So Dochterman should have sat on this piece of new about a policy that was apparently around for a year, if not more, because Kirk had apparently abandoned the policy a few hours earlier. Got it.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
That was worse than the original ban.

Glad it was reversed a couple days ago and the current policy is in place.
I'm sure they reversed it because Iowa is a clean program right? Didn't have anything to do with the ongoing allegations of not allowing their players to have a voice, bullying, misconduct towards African American players, and so forth?

Brodie0

Apr 1, 2020
You're arguing semantics. It was a rule as of last week..

No. The discussion wasn’t “what was Iowa’s twitter policy as of last week,” the discussion was what is Iowa’s twitter policy right now. He was right. All the rest of you were wrong.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
No. The discussion wasn’t “what was Iowa’s twitter policy as of last week,” the discussion was what is Iowa’s twitter policy right now. He was right. All the rest of you were wrong.

What about the systemic racism though?

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
I think the more insidious problem for Iowa here is Kirk. He has been there too long, he is paid too much, he is feared and not challenged, and he has become above the law.

I don't think Kirk has bad intentions. But I think he has been corrupted by all the power and he has gone deaf to criticism. He believes he can just decree his will and that's that. It happens to politicians, CEOs, anyone with too much power for too long. Instead of "Let them eat cake" it's "Let them eat 8 wins and a bowl game".

And it has worked for years:

Rumors of leaving? Here's a fat raise.
Jobs for your kid and SIL? Nepotism is no problem.
Womens AD is annoying you? She's gone.
Reporters asking tough questions? Won't see them again.
Your pal almost killed some players? We will invent an award for him.

That's why he didn't have a relief valve for players - he didn't want to and nobody had the authority to make him do it. And to me, that is probably the worst thing out of all of this. He left those young men out to dry when they needed his help.

Player getting bullied or demeaned? Run them off.

If Kirk survives this, that would basically reinforce the entire above the law problem. Who will stand up to him? Others have said the BOR is the only group that can, but will they?
I agree for the most part. This is frankly a case where there wasn't proper oversight. No one forced Kirk to listen to the players.

With that said I do think it is possible for him to survive. I think it is possible to have enough outside oversight if Kirk is willing to fully listen. As much as our fans are being critical I think Kirk is showing signs of trying to listen. Is he doing a good job, no but change is hard for people who are established like he is.

I don't know the answers and no one else here has all of the answers. Hopefully everyone comes out of the last few weeks with a better focus on listening to others.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
That is literally arguing semantics but alright.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
These coordinated PR approved tweets look terrible to me.

But I did get to this one and it wasn’t on stationery and wasn’t full of buzzword corporate bs.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
WHO GIVES A **** ABOUT THE TWITTER BAN BEING CANCELLED OR WHEN IT HAPPENED.
Because, this is what they do...spin the discussion to a topic that takes attention away from the main issue. Let's get the sheep arguing about the twitter ban so they forget about preferential treatment that has been going on for years...

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
You don't think a policy allowing one tweet a month that has to be pre-approved is alarming? I get they have since changed it but the timeline is even more alarming that they changed their policy when all the former players started speaking out.

Status
Not open for further replies.