Kirk Ferentz getting sued for being racist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Just me or is central Iowa sports media sleeping on this story a little? It's the biggest Iowa sports story in many years, the type of thing that would get wall to wall coverage, and it feels like national media is covering it more thoroughly than Iowa media - with the notable exception of Hawkeye-centric media, much to their credit. You'd think in this news environment (BLM, etc) with no sports to talk about, every media outlet would throw every body at this they could.
IIRC this story started breaking on Thursday afternoon. In that time the DMR has run one story about it, in today's edition. A story in which the Chadster stresses that "no current or former players have called for Doyle's firing." I guess that would take some serious journalistic chops to find the tweets refuting that statement. If this happened at ISU, I can guarantee there would've been numerous stories by now, and some would be on the front page, not just the sports section.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
The iowa media has always been afraid to touch anything that paints iowa negatively. Both for access and because iowa's rabid fans will turn on them.

I agree, they've always been in Iowa's pocket. But even I didn't think it was this bad. Bandgate generated more controversy than this.

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
Doyle needs to go. If it is found that Brian (or any other coach) has a history of making similar comments, he needs to go too.

So if they didn't make comments but allowed this culture to persist, it is ok?

Is there any responsibility of KF to not just passively monitor for culture in the organization but to proactively insure every aspect of the UofI Football program reflects the culture of the University. Or can he just stay outside of the weight room doors, give Doyle a wink and a nod and go all Sgt Shultz?

Reactions: aauummm

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
IIRC this story started breaking on Thursday afternoon. In that time the DMR has run one story about it, in today's edition. A story in which the Chadster stresses that "no current or former players have called for Doyle's firing." I guess that would take some serious journalistic chops to find the tweets refuting that statement. If this happened at ISU, I can guarantee there would've been numerous stories by now, and some would be on the front page, not just the sports section.

There's been more coverage online, but not nearly what you'd expect given the magnitude. They're all just reporting on others' tweets, nobody's doing any original reporting. And the tone of the coverage paints this all as an opportunity to learn.

I'll have to see if I can track down a transcript of Kirk's presser from today to see what questions they asked him.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
Can somebody please tell me what this thread is all about in around a sentence or so?

I actively avoid all things hawk related, but with 70,000 views in less than a week this seems like an issue I should know about and I would never search the internet for anything related to iowa football. I have googled the Vine a few times to look at pictures of wings, but that's it.

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids
So if they didn't make comments but allowed this culture to persist, it is ok?

Is there any responsibility of KF to not just passively monitor for culture in the organization but to proactively insure every aspect of the UofI Football program reflects the culture of the University. Or can he just stay outside of the weight room doors, give Doyle a wink and a nod and go all Sgt Shultz?

Yep, give Doyle a wink and then head to Cedar Rapids Country Club for late night dinner.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Can somebody please tell me what this thread is all about in around a sentence or so?

I actively avoid all things hawk related, but with 70,000 views in less than a week this seems like an issue I should know about and I would never search the internet for anything related to iowa football. I have googled the Vine a few times to look at pictures of wings, but that's it.
Iowa players are talking about how racist a few coaches at Iowa are.

Reactions: Macloney

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids

Pretty simple....**** iowa

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I agree, they've always been in Iowa's pocket. But even I didn't think it was this bad. Bandgate generated more controversy than this.

Well that was an opportunity to smear iowa state with no evidence. They loved that. And then quietly slinked away after the evidence came out that most of what the band was ******** about was their own dumb faults.

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
This obviously doesn't look good but Doyle and Co should get their due process. I seem to remember an incident with a certain band last fall that when investigated and presented with evidence, told a much different story than the U of I perputated hoax. Problem with that is the hacks in the administration couldn't be trusted with providing a thorough, unbiased investigation.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
tenor.gif

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
A med school that says they don't know why or how 9 athletes got rhabdomyolysis.....!!!!

Cover up by Iowa and our journalists.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Help Support Us

Become a patron