C-RTC & Recruiting

Land Grant

Oct 30, 2006
is this directed towards Brands, Sandersons, Smiths, Ferentz, Gibbons or Dresser? Just curious. If the guy is qualified and willing then go for it in my opinion. Will Some people be mad if we get Nate and David Carr involved withCRTC at the same time?

If my years of readership here are correct, some of those you cite have been questioned for nepotism on this very website. Probably more so those at other institutions, and especially Ferentz--who has been outright ridiculed. Sticking only to wrestling, based on high level accomplishments in the sport it feels a bit apples to oranges to compare Dan Dresser to Brands, Smith, Carr, and even Gibbons. I can accept Buff's statement that Dresser is volunteering. But when I look at the listing of staff on the CRTC website, that would make him the only one not drawing compensation in some form through ISU wrestling.

I am no fan of nepotism in any circumstance, from little league coaching to presidential politics. I believe it always warrants special scrutiny. Relatedly, given its limited resources I believe the CRTC should be putting all its funding into people with the skill sets to most directly impact the quality of wrestling at ISU. If that is the situation at ISU now, then great.

jkbuff98

Jan 3, 2017
Pretty sure and correct me if I’m wrong ; that Dan was instrumental in connecting the wrestling community and businesses to jump start fund raising as he has extensive contacts in both business and wrestling. I think he handles the money side of things .

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
If my years of readership here are correct, some of those you cite have been questioned for nepotism on this very website. Probably more so those at other institutions, and especially Ferentz--who has been outright ridiculed. Sticking only to wrestling, based on high level accomplishments in the sport it feels a bit apples to oranges to compare Dan Dresser to Brands, Smith, Carr, and even Gibbons. I can accept Buff's statement that Dresser is volunteering. But when I look at the listing of staff on the CRTC website, that would make him the only one not drawing compensation in some form through ISU wrestling.

I am no fan of nepotism in any circumstance, from little league coaching to presidential politics. I believe it always warrants special scrutiny. Relatedly, given its limited resources I believe the CRTC should be putting all its funding into people with the skill sets to most directly impact the quality of wrestling at ISU. If that is the situation at ISU now, then great.

Land-

You have some good points that I'm not missing. By the true definition of nepotism everyone that I cited could be lumped into that category. My point wasn't to say that they all did it for the right reasons or the right choice but to say that it happens all over. Also, my point is it's NOT always the wrong choice. Sometimes a family member or friend is simply the best person for the job. btw... I have no idea if Dan Dresser is being paid or volunteering. I could care less as long as he does his job effectively. To your point... I agree that IF he's not doing his job then the situation should be scrutinized and fixed.

As to your point that the CRTC should be putting all of it's funding into people with skills that directly impact the quality of wrestling at ISU. I think Fundraising does just that. $$ is the only way to keep guys like Kyven, Willie M, etc. around. Also, having $$ to fund future CRTC guys like Degen, Parker, etc to stick around also does just that. I think most agree that it's easier to recruit a guy with Olympic dreams to a school with a RTC option and world class training partners and you can't have any of these nice things without a strong fundraising base (or at least a major donor).

You mention that comparing Dan Dresser to high level wrestlers is apples vs oranges. I agree: I think you have to compare Dan as a fundraiser to other fundraisers. Great Fundraisers are worth their weight in gold. As someone who was involved in the CWC (before the CRTC) I can tell you that fundraising might be the most paramount skill and activity that must happen. It's also the hardest thing to accomplish because everyone wants to spend money on great wrestlers/coaches and hold great social events for fans. However, typically no-one wants to go out and raise the money. Most of these great coaches and wrestlers don't have the skills or desire to do so. I have no idea if Dan Dresser is being paid but I do know that the fundraising since Coach Dresser (and Dan Dresser) took over has been calculated, organized and strategic. It's a tough, tough job and the progress they have made with the CRTC house and overall fundraising has been impressive. I'd venture to say anyone that has attended one of the fundraising events in the past couple of years would agree with this and the $$ raised speaks to the success.

Land Grant

Oct 30, 2006
Appreciate your thoughtfulness here. I'm no insider. I am really just a regular fan--give a little, cheer a lot, get to meets when I can (I'm far out of state). What I may represent is the issue of program optics. I think the look and feel of employing family are always suspect, especially in such public positions. I could go on, but I won't out of respect to trustworthy posters like you who say that Dan's a volunteer and that even if he's being compensated, its all on the up and up. Thanks.

Reactions: CyGold