Personal fireworks mishaps...

aauummm

April is International Guitar Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
Did you see a Delorean in that there cave??

I’m fairly safe with fireworks. I’ve seen what those mortars can do to a hand. NOT PRETTY. I did grow up having Roman candle fights, and participated in a few between moving vehicles. Not smart, and when when of those balls goes into the window of a moving car, it can get hairy real fast, but we somehow escaped any real trouble.
Speaking of moving cars and fireworks, when I was in high school a group of classmates made a run to Missouri in their convertible to get a load of fireworks. On the way back they were lighting the fireworks and throwing them out of the convertible with the top down. You guessed it, one firecracker landed in the back seat and set off their whole load of fireworks. The convertible was destroyed, the guys all jumped out and escaped with minor injuries.

JayV

Really Big Member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2012
Cherry bombs were good too. My brother and I would light them and then launch them vertically with a tennis racket. I think that they are outlawed now too.

I'm told that legit M-80s and legit Cherry Bombs are still available on select Native American reservations in Canada, but those are the only places in North America.

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
I had a cake fall over last year. Reminded me why I hate fireworks

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Remembered another WAY more embarrassing lack of judgement during my ISU days. Lived in K-beck with some Aero Es and they would show me the fundamentals of their major by cutting the tops off of shotguns shells, taping a BB on the primer, putting rudimentary fins then tossing it out the window in the MWL area. Irresponsible and dangerous and my GAWD I miss that environment!

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
My youngest brother is a fireworks fanatic, every 4th of July weekend he will have a barbeque and fireworks show that will have between 200 and 300 people attend. Generally the show last around an hour and he will spend $4,000 to $5,000 on fireworks. He will have a 4 to 5 man crew lighting them off. I swear towns of 3000 to 4,000 people do not put on as good a show as he does.

So about 10 years ago he had a hay trailer about 30 feet from here they were lighting them off, this trailer was about half loaded with fireworks, he was a good 20 minutes into the show. When a spark from one of the fireworks lands on the trailer and they all go off over the next 2 minutes. Fireworks are shooting off in every direction, you can hear stuff hitting the house, smoke rolling every where.
Everyone is running for cover, when we think its over, my brother walks out of the smoke cloud, wants another beer and said, "I guess that was the grand finale this year."

His little explosion slowed down the crowds for a couple of years, but since then right back at it.

A few years before that, he had been shooting them off, and all of a sudden a county deputy pulled into the driveway and parked, we thought we were all in trouble. The guy jumps out of his squad car and asks for a beer and said he hoped he was not too late.

Sometimes it pays to live out in the middle of nowhere.

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
I'm told that legit M-80s and legit Cherry Bombs are still available on select Native American reservations in Canada, but those are the only places in North America.

I believe they can still be purchased in the U.S. But you need an explosives license from the ATF. And if you are going to do that you might as well just get dynamite.

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
And speaking of explosions. This isn't a mishap. Just awesome.

It's fom the PGI convention in Mason City 2018. I was there for this and it was rediculous.

If you are ever within driving distance of the convention I strongly recommend going to a show or two. Especially if you are a fan of fireworks. I believe they do the super nuke at every convention ramping it up a little bit each time.

2020 convention was post poned to 2021. It will be in Fargo, ND.

Also, if you want to get licensed and learn to build some fireworks I think they also do that during the week.

Reactions: Cycsk

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
And speaking of explosions. This isn't a mishap. Just awesome.

It's fom the PGI convention in Mason City 2018. I was there for this and it was rediculous.

If you are ever within driving distance of the convention I strongly recommend going to a show or two. Especially if you are a fan of fireworks. I believe they do the super nuke at every convention ramping it up a little bit each time.

2020 convention was post poned to 2021. It will be in Fargo, ND.

Also, if you want to get licensed and learn to build some fireworks I think they also do that during the week.

I went to one of those up in LaCrosse Wi. they put so many fireworks in the air you couldn't see the bridge thru the smoke. It was AWESOME.