2000 Insight Bowl watch

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA

This is great. Ben Bruns, Sage Rosenfels, Reggie Hayward, and Coach McCarney join JW. Really enjoyed watching this, I was attending ISU at the time so I have lots of good memories as a student attending games that season and making the long road trip to Phoenix to be at that game.

It is amazing just how many guys on that team played in the NFL. The DL alone had Hayward, Reed, and Carstens and Sage and Ennis on the offensive side and I think some of the OL and guys on defense got some NFL try outs as well. Some really good stories from that year too, you had Stevie Johnson who made the transition from basketball to be a legit Big 12 LB, Kevin DeRonde had made the switch to the other side of the ball as did Derrick Walker who came to ISU as a Juco QB and I can't remember what year he made the switch but Jamaine Billups came to ISU as a RB and wound up having a nice career as a safety by the time he was done at ISU.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Can't wait to watch this over the weekend. Thanks for posting.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton

This is great. Ben Bruns, Sage Rosenfels, Reggie Hayward, and Coach McCarney join JW. Really enjoyed watching this, I was attending ISU at the time so I have lots of good memories as a student attending games that season and making the long road trip to Phoenix to be at that game.

It is amazing just how many guys on that team played in the NFL. The DL alone had Hayward, Reed, and Carstens and Sage and Ennis on the offensive side and I think some of the OL and guys on defense got some NFL try outs as well. Some really good stories from that year too, you had Stevie Johnson who made the transition from basketball to be a legit Big 12 LB, Kevin DeRonde had made the switch to the other side of the ball as did Derrick Walker who came to ISU as a Juco QB and I can't remember what year he made the switch but Jamaine Billups came to ISU as a RB and wound up having a nice career as a safety by the time he was done at ISU.

Slight correction, Kevin DeRonde was always on defense.

Derrick Walker switched to LB his Sr. year. He was a Juco who was recruited to be our QB. Sage and him had a good competition, split snaps early their Jr. years until Sage won it outright.

Reactions: CYdTracked

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Slight correction, Kevin DeRonde was always on defense.

Derrick Walker switched to LB his Sr. year. He was a Juco who was recruited to be our QB. Sage and him had a good competition, split snaps early their Jr. years until Sage won it outright.

Andy Stensrud is probably who I was actually thinking that changed positions then. He was recruited as a TE and moved to OL. I loved when they talked about Carl Gomez too, loved that guy. He was in my English class my 1st semester at ISU and was quite a character.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

Just watched this. Fantastic. So much fun. If you only have 2 minutes, watch the first and the last minutes. In the first minute, watch their reactions when Coach McCarney surprises them. In the last minute, watch them call for the other games they want to watch and comment on, especially Sage's.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
Thanks for posting, that was great. I had a huge smile on my face the entire time. Great memories and a great team.

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
I’m really glad McCarney is still around Iowa State. Some of my first memories of Iowa State football are of his teams. When he came back two/three seasons ago and got a huge ovation was pretty cool

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I’m really glad McCarney is still around Iowa State. Some of my first memories of Iowa State football are of his teams. When he came back two/three seasons ago and got a huge ovation was pretty cool

Indeed. He still seems very pumped up about the Cyclones. Can't imagine him getting all that worked up about the North Texas Mean Green!