Friday OT - IDK

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
Gf and I have been fighting A LOT lately. Not really sure I want to or how much longer I want to work for it.

Also, need to change careers, great time in history to be thinking about that.
Post a pic of GF and the CF community will decide for you.

cyson

Jun 24, 2007
Yeah, me too--I used to read it every year. Somehow I haven't for a decade or so.
I’m guessing I’ve read it twenty plus times, starting when I was sixteen. I’ve been doing Tolkien trivia online which has got me ready to roll with it again.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Found out this week we likely won't have daycare until at least sometime July, if not August. Not great. Trying to WFH FT with a toddler is not ideal and definitely stresses the marriage (and parent-child relationship) in ways it hadn't been previously.

Everything is so heavy and I get this is OT so I'll try to stay cave-free but the past weeks of realizing that your lens in life allowed you to not realize just how bad things are for many even though you thought you were aware. The anger at injustice and those who refuse to see it. So much uncertainty and uneasiness about the future. Living in history book moments is......something.

Serious health issues for some family that add to that as well.

Toddler was awake from 4-5am possibly with an ear infection that IDK how he even got that. But I found myself just soaking in rocking him as the sky got lighter. Someone I semi-follow on instagram just lost their spirited and lively 3 year to a very unexpected and quickly moving brain cancer diagnosis and it just hits at the core of my worst fear. I am so grateful to be able to rock my cranky toddler.

And at the end of it, I know I'm objectively still in a good place, I really am. We've done some beautiful nature hikes this week and the peonies I planted last month are blooming and the couple in my jar next to me are just stunning. There is still beauty among the chaos and sadness in our world today.

cyson

Jun 24, 2007
I'm physically and mentally exhausted. Tired of all the division and hate. Wish I could trade places with any of over 100,000 who have lost their lives this year because I truly feel that where they are is a better place than I am. I'm nothing special.

Just a single point in time. Everyone struggles, especially now with all we have to deal with, don’t over react. That’s not to minimize your struggle, I’m sure it’s real. What’s one thing you can do now that has helped you feel better in the past,ie. Take a walk, work in the yard, swim, bike, talk to a friend, run, etc. Make it very specific. Rate how you feel before and after you engage in proposed solution. Be careful not to choose a behavior that offers temporary relief but ultimately makes you feel worse. You can do it.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Everything is so heavy and I get this is OT so I'll try to stay cave-free but the past weeks of realizing that your lens in life allowed you to not realize just how bad things are for many even though you thought you were aware. The anger at injustice and those who refuse to see it. So much uncertainty and uneasiness about the future. Living in history book moments is......something.

That is also where I am. It's very overwhelming.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I'm feeling fortunate. My wife and I are both still employed, and my family is still healthy. My daughter is missing soccer, but has been reasonably laid back for a pre-teen.

I've got friends with small kids that have lost their jobs or been furloughed. I could complain about a few inconveniences, but I've got it pretty good compared to most.

Reactions: Cyclones_R_GR8

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I think there's nothing like being thrown together a ton more than ever before to either make a relationship stronger or blow it apart.

Yeah, it's funny. When this started to blow up in March I kind of knew it would be a really good stress test for my marriage. We've survived but we've certainly had our moments. It's been lots of together time for people who are used to having their fair share of time alone.

I didn't realize it would ultimately become a stress test for our country as a whole. If life was an episode of Bar Rescue and America was a bar, John Taffer would absolutely be losing his **** on us right now. And a butt funnel ain't gonna fix things.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Fighting some mild depression in the Boxster isolation compound. Missing interaction with peeps. Not sure coming here helps that much as too many threads seem to turn into complete shitstorms.

Observation: Coffee is good non-prescription anti-depressant, FWIW.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Yeah, it's funny. When this started to blow up in March I kind of knew it would be a really good stress test for my marriage. We've survived but we've certainly had our moments. It's been lots of together time for people who are used to having their fair share of time alone.

I didn't realize it would ultimately become a stress test for our country as a whole. If life was an episode of Bar Rescue and America was a bar, John Taffer would absolutely be losing his **** on us right now. And a butt funnel ain't gonna fix things.

Janny and I are alternating weeks working at home vs in-office with the kids (or at least we have been), which lets us still sort of keep our sanity and get distance for a week. I know that I feel a lot better when I get that time away, and then it makes me better when I'm home the next week.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Janny and I are alternating weeks working at home vs in-office with the kids (or at least we have been), which lets us still sort of keep our sanity and get distance for a week. I know that I feel a lot better when I get that time away, and then it makes me better when I'm home the next week.

That's smart. Comes with it's own set of problems because now it's just one parent fielding all the kids though, doesn't it?

Shoot, I just don't know. It's like every problem that has come up thanks to the virus comes with nothing but a bunch of inherently flawed potential solutions.

cyson

Jun 24, 2007
I have a business that is generating about ten percent of what it was precovid. I’m paying staff with Pandemic loan. When that’s done, I’m done. Disappointing

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
I don’t have a whole lot to say on this particular topic but I just wanted to drop in and say that if any of you ever need to talk because everything is getting to you, just drop me a DM.

Listening/talking to people is somewhat therapeutic to me and I worry about people, even if I don’t know them/have a relationship with them in real life.

Reactions: madguy30

SaraV

Staff member
Mar 13, 2012
I'm an "essential worker", so it's kinda weird. I've been going to work as normal, it's just been busier and a little bit more hectic. Husband was let go at work. There was talk, I guess, about letting him go for budgetary reasons BEFORE Coviid. Then, Coviid made that decision a whole heck of a lot easier. He was paid his normal salary through May, and now he's on unemployment. Buuuuttt...after that? He had a very niche job, and trying to transfer/translate those skills into a different job or career would be difficult.

And this leads to what a bunch of what other people have said. I had at least 3+ hours a weekday where I had time to myself. I had the TV to myself, or I could stop somewhere after work without worrying about getting home. I remember early to mid-April I went through the drive thru at BK, and then I just parked at a local Target, rolled my window down, and just scrolled through my phone while I ate. It was peaceful.

Tradition would have had my parents coming in on Memorial Day weekend to celebrate my birthday, but that was already a no-go because of how my schedule is at work. Luckily, my parents are taking this virus super serious, i.e. doing the social distancing thing with my sister and BIL who live in the same town since both have "essential" jobs. Not sure when I'll get to see them next, and the last time I saw them was the first week of December. Haven't see the in-laws since January-ish? Maybe even Christmas. Husband's grandpa is 92 and is in a skilled care facility. Sooo hope we get to see him soon.

Then there's the past week and a half. There isn't a whole lot to say that already hasn't been said. I know I haven't slept well this past week...can't remember having any dreams, good or bad.

I know we have a long road ahead of us on two fronts between the virus and the fight for racial equality. I just hope and pray we can all be there for each other as we move through it.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I want to echo @GMackey32 - if anyone needs to talk, I am mostly sarcastic, but am here if you need an outlet.