Will the Iowa State Fair happen this year?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Will the Iowa state fair happen in 2020?

• Yes

Votes: 84 27.5%
  • No

Votes: 177 58.0%
  • I will not be going if it does open because of COVID-19

Votes: 44 14.4%

• Total voters

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Wal-Mart supposedly restricts one person per 200 sq ft. The fairgrounds are 313 acres or 13,634,280 sq ft. At one person per 200 sq ft, that caps attendance at 68,171 or about 64% of normal. The fair averaged 106,000 per day last year.

Does this mean that 68,171 would be the absolute max that could attend while maintaining 200 square feet of distance? If so, then actual attendance would be much, much lower because attendance isn't evenly distributed through the fair or even on a given day. It would also need to be adjusted for the way that various parts of the fairgrounds are used in various ways with various densities. The fair has always been a germ fest. Hard to imagine having anything like a normal fair while still taking seriously the threat of the virus.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Is there a county fair that has said That they still plan on running?

As of right now it looks like the Dallas County Fair is still on. This is the latest update from their website:

The Dallas County Fair Association recognizes the preparation and hard work our youth dedicate to the fair each year. We thank you for your patience and support as we navigate challenges due to the Covid-19 pandemic, and adapt to public health and safety requirements that may affect the 2020 Dallas County Fair scheduled for July 8-12.
Since March, the Dallas County Fair Board has been monitoring the Covid-19 pandemic and assessing its impact on this year’s fair. At this time, the Fair Board is continuing to plan for the 2020 fair as scheduled, while researching alternative livestock and static exhibition methods should public health and safety requirements prohibit standard activities.
Please know the Fair Board will continue to seek information and guidance from the State of Iowa, the Dallas County Health Department, and Iowa Association of Fairs. We will use this information to determine any necessary adaptations for exhibitors, vendors, volunteers, and supporters, and will communicate new information as it’s available.
We ask for your continued patience as we adapt to new information and requirements. In the meantime, we encourage youth to continue to work on their projects in preparation for some form of exhibition, even if it should look different than in previous years. Thank you for your support and investment in the Dallas County Fair.
For information about the Dallas County Fair go to www.dallascountyfair.com

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Iowa Irish Fest is still on as long as they can get bands into the country.

That's 35-40,000 in Downtown Waterloo for 3 days. I'd be pretty surprised if the fair is canceled.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Who owns the Fairgrounds?

World Dairy Expo was cancelled yesterday which is a pretty big deal.

I'm curious about this myself. I'm happy to be corrected if I'm wrong, but I think it's state owned and operated by the State Fair Authority Board, which includes several members including the governor.

I'm guessing that unless something changes drastically for the worse they're going to find a way to put the fair on in some form, even if it's limited.

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
They don't announce nothing is changing. Only those cancelling (postponing) are announced. You can keep an eye on the status of all the 2020 Iowa county fairs here https://www.iowafairs.com/aif-advisories.php
From this it looks like about a third of county fairs have been called off and a few others are going to operate in a limited way. I originally voted no but I think they will have it in some limited capacity like maybe 50% capacity (like 50k) and maybe only sell 50k tickets for each day to help in social distancing - just spitballing here.

garn91

Jun 1, 2006
Ankeny
Montgomery County is having their fair but with no food stands or grandstand shows and you come in with your livestock, you show and go home.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Montgomery County is having their fair but with no food stands or grandstand shows and you come in with your livestock, you show and go home.

Well that's BS! What if my cattle are quarantined for 14 days before the fair, test negative, come wearing N95's, gather in herds no larger than 10 cows and get no closer than 6 feet from another bovine? Can't they stay and enjoy the fair?

SECyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 29, 2011
Pella

That’s what a lot are thinking of. Problem is if it’s 100 like last year waiting around with livestock in trailers is going to be a disaster.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
State Fair board meeting started at 3. Should know the decision in a few hours.