Woodworkers Thread

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Getting mine was the start of me giving up golf as a hobby. Year round in the shop. Beer in the summer, cup of coffee in the winter, cutting wood and making ****.....nothing better.
I can completely dig that lifestyle. I need to get a heater for my garage finally then. Got some ideas but electricity isn’t my thing.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I like the look of black epoxy with black walnut. My daughter wanted blue/ green with alot of bling. I told her she can choose the colors for her end table with what's left of the slab.
Where did you get the slab?

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
My recent upgrade to a dual compound sliding miter saw "with laser" has been awesome. I have been using it instead of my table saw for a lot of quick cuts.

Reactions: JM4CY

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
My recent upgrade to a dual compound sliding miter saw "with laser" has been awesome. I have been using it instead of my table saw for a lot of quick cuts.

Agreed. Found one on sale over Xmas that’s a 12” slider. It has been a god send compared to the straight 10” one I had before. I just didn’t build my bench deep enough for it. :eek: As you can see my time is limited looking at the stroller, pack and play and water table sitting next to it.

A2FF269A-8EFA-4FAB-98AE-8C1DDEC3F934.jpeg

Last edited:

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
I’m looking for a cheap 23g pin nailer to finish off a project for someone here on CF. Any suggestions? The smallest I’ve got is an 18g Brad nailer and I’m worried the trim piece will split.

Or if anyone here in Ankeny has one to borrow for a few min that’d be alright too. :)

Here’s the project. The small piece off to the right is what I need it for.

9A85E545-EFC4-4873-83F9-6C5B9F317442.jpeg C733FD42-65A6-4A56-96E8-62B8F3B85632.jpeg

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Really appreciate all the shared projects, advice and personal experiences in this thread. It’s been a real treat to read through!

I was hoping this thread would gain some traction. It’s been great getting some ideas from other CFers. I don’t have time for a separate woodworking forum.

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston
I’m looking for a cheap 23g pin nailer to finish off a project for someone here on CF. Any suggestions? The smallest I’ve got is an 18g Brad nailer and I’m worried the trim piece will split.

Or if anyone here in Ankeny has one to borrow for a few min that’d be alright too. :)

Here’s the project. The small piece off to the right is what I need it for.

View attachment 72548 View attachment 72549
Where is that trim piece going?

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston
Bumping this post if anyone has any good ideas
I’ve made one before. It’s really just the same as doing a picture frame, just gotta figure out the angles. Where you’re gonna run into problems is cutting the plexiglass without a tablesaw

CyJeans

Apr 18, 2017
Beaverdale, IA
I’ve made one before. It’s really just the same as doing a picture frame, just gotta figure out the angles. Where you’re gonna run into problems is cutting the plexiglass without a tablesaw

If you left a larger rabbet on the edges of the frame you could cut it with a jig saw. That way any defects or mishaped edges wouldn't be exposed. I know Ace will do custom glass sizes too but I'm not sure if they will do/can do a triangle.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
But how would you connect a smaller thinner material? I mean I can connect a 2x4 with that kind of weird triangle angle but I don’t that will work with a 1x2 which is kind of what I was thinking. I thought about that with the plexiglass. I thought maybe just getting those trim pieces right and then air nailing it to a piece of mdf I could cut easily and then painting the mdf and glueing the pennant to the mdf. Something about that though just has me thinking it’s gonna look cobbled together. In this scenario I wouldn’t use glass or plexi

CyJeans

Apr 18, 2017
Beaverdale, IA
But how would you connect a smaller thinner material? I mean I can connect a 2x4 with that kind of weird triangle angle but I don’t that will work with a 1x2 which is kind of what I was thinking. I thought about that with the plexiglass. I thought maybe just getting those trim pieces right and then air nailing it to a piece of mdf I could cut easily and then painting the mdf and glueing the pennant to the mdf. Something about that though just has me thinking it’s gonna look cobbled together.

You could always do a lap joint on the ends. It is more work but you can fill in gaps more easily and get things flush

wintersmd

Jul 2, 2014
I am working on cabinets for my shop/garage. Making out of birch and havent decided if i will paint or just shoot clear laquer. I am open for suggestions.

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston
But how would you connect a smaller thinner material? I mean I can connect a 2x4 with that kind of weird triangle angle but I don’t that will work with a 1x2 which is kind of what I was thinking. I thought about that with the plexiglass. I thought maybe just getting those trim pieces right and then air nailing it to a piece of mdf I could cut easily and then painting the mdf and glueing the pennant to the mdf. Something about that though just has me thinking it’s gonna look cobbled together. In this scenario I wouldn’t use glass or plexi
Just glue and a band clamp to hold it until dry. You’d be surprised how strong some Titebond is if you have good surface contact. Then add a backer board and tiny screws or pin nails through the backer into the frame. It’ll look neat if you rabbet a ledge for the backer board to sit on/in, that way it’s not visible from the side, but you’d need a router or table saw for that. If you use super thin mdf nobody will likely ever notice it sitting on top of your frame. You don’t even have to use glass or plexi— I’ve gone with none before and it just looks kinda like a shadow box type presentation.