Top Shelf Liquor

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
Finally getting a bar. I've got room for 6-8 bottles of booze. I'd like to get a nice variety of excellent quality liquor. My first bottle will be Johnny Walker Blue. What are some other must haves. Thanks in advance

I'm a fan of Belvenie doublewood 12 year scotch. It was finished in a barrel of rum and has probably been my favorite. Quite tasty. That'd be a good one to add.

Also like Glenmorangie 10 year, Glen Livet 18, Glen Fiddich too. Also had luck with the Glen Moray.
You can tell I'm not big on peaty, prefer Speyside or Highlands.

I need to try the Bowmore 12, might be the next bottle I get.

Grey Goose seems like the necessary vodka. Can't drink much beer anymore, so wine and Scotch is usually my go to.

cydsho

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Omaha, NE
Finally getting a bar. I've got room for 6-8 bottles of booze. I'd like to get a nice variety of excellent quality liquor. My first bottle will be Johnny Walker Blue. What are some other must haves. Thanks in advance
I think the important question to ask is how do you build a bar and have room for ONLY 6-8 bottles?

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
Ceder Ridge Bourbon. honestly still my go to.. the new proof is great.
Basil Hayden is another nice bourbon. A little light, but nice and smooth.
was also going to suggest this probably my 2nd choice after Ceder Ridge.

Very true. My boss and a friend of his did a blind taste test on 10 different vodkas. Tito's won, but Hawkeye got a higher ranking than Grey Goose.
honestly have never liked Grey Goose my self either. but then again we were also mixing it with Jager that last time I really drank it lol..

Reactions: CYdTracked

IceCyIce

Aug 17, 2009
Grimes
I think the important question to ask is how do you build a bar and have room for ONLY 6-8 bottles?
Baby Steps :) not a full bar but im not a scotch whisky dude, just a snort here and there and I like the way it looks

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Cumming has a distillery and their straight bourbon is really good.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Got to visit this is awesome distillery in eastern Iowa on the mississippi river in LeClaire, Iowa owned buy loyal Cyclone fans.

https://www.mrdistilling.com/

I love Cody Road Rye Whiskey.

River Baron is great as well, although I talked to a few places here locally in Des Moines who no longer carry it, and they said it doesn't sell well because it's called an "Artisan Spirit" and not a Vodka, so they had to place it away from the Vodkas and nobody ever saw it.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
If you want some Bourbon that is super smooth can't go wrong with Bookers https://www.bookersbourbon.com/home It has quite a bite on it though at 126 proof but is smooth as hell. I used to keep a bottle around that I swore by taking a shot of that if you had a sore throat because not only will it probably numb it up a little but if whatever you have can survive that high of proof you probably need to get some medicine for it.

Herkster

Feb 12, 2016
I've heard JW Blue is good, but I wouldn't spend $200 on a blend that tastes like a $50 single malt. If you're a scotch guy, Lagavulin 16, any Ardbeg, Laphroaig 10, Talisker 10, Aberlour A'bunadh, Glenfarclas 105.

Gotta like peat if you're going Ardbeg, Laphroaig, or most of the Lagavulin's.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Jameson Caskmates Stout Edition is a nice one to have around. Pretty fair price point and it's one of my go-to's for a nightcap. Very smooth, sweet finish.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Everclear 190. Takes very little to do the job. Plus, it works great as a disinfectant and an alternative fuel source.