Top Shelf Liquor

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

StevieISU23

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 31, 2007
Urbandale
Bourbon: Four Roses
I first tried this about 15 years ago in Kentucky, and would have family bring me a bottle, when they visit.
Now sold in Iowa
$20.00 for the lower end
$40/$60 for the single barrel and single batch

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
Bombay Sapphire

Then join the London Mule movement (dozens of us!)

SayMyName

Jan 28, 2017
ABQ
Pretty sure Cyclone liquor almost always has EH Taylor small batch and single barrel. I haven't seen much Elmer T Lee this year.
Huh, they never seem to have much of a selection (even the standard Buffalo Trace product) every time I stop in there. Will have to keep checking periodically.

AJ's has been my go-to supplier as of late, as they have a great variety of bourbon selection but limited quantities due to size of store. Just picked up some of their Knob Creek store pick from 2019.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Bombay Sapphire

Then join the London Mule movement (dozens of us!)
I'm a sapphire fan as well. Tanqueray Rangpur or Malacca are also very good.

If you get up to Wisconsin ever, pick up some Death's Door gin. It's currently my favorite

Reactions: Bader

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
Agreed. Don't focus as much on if it's top shelf. Instead concentrate on if you like it. If what you like happens to be top shelf, then by all means, go for it, but price tag does not always equal quality.
Very true. My boss and a friend of his did a blind taste test on 10 different vodkas. Tito's won, but Hawkeye got a higher ranking than Grey Goose.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
Bombay Saphire

What, no MD 20/20? No collection is complete without some mad dog!
Love Bombay Sapphire. My goto vacation gin. It just tastes like vacation! Maker's Mark is a good top shelfer.

Nader_uggghhh

Jul 11, 2017
Huh, they never seem to have much of a selection (even the standard Buffalo Trace product) every time I stop in there. Will have to keep checking periodically.

AJ's has been my go-to supplier as of late, as they have a great variety of bourbon selection but limited quantities due to size of store. Just picked up some of their Knob Creek store pick from 2019.

I'll admit, I haven't been to Cyclone in awhile. I've had some really good Knob store picks this year. Almost all of the bourbon I drink now is store pick single barrels. Eagle Rare, Knob Creek, Elijah Craig, Buffalo Trace mostly. My favorite repeat buy is EC12 by far.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Here is one of my favorites that I always keep on hand:

View attachment 72467

Fun conversation piece. Great bottle, Love the flavor. Made by an Iowa company (Mississippi River Distilling).

First time I had this you were passing out shots of it at your Camping World Bowl tailgate. Good stuff!

Reactions: Cycsk

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
First time I had this you were passing out shots of it at your Camping World Bowl tailgate. Good stuff!

The only two things that I sent down were the 40 foot telescoping flagpole and the Iowish Cream!

Thanks @isufbcurt.

IceCyIce

Aug 17, 2009
Grimes
This is great stuff, so far I'm looking at JW Blue, Yellowstone, Laguvulin 16, Laphroaig 10 and Weller Special 12. WS 12 at $400 a pull might take me away or at least keep it close to the vest

Nader_uggghhh

Jul 11, 2017
This is great stuff, so far I'm looking at JW Blue, Yellowstone, Laguvulin 16, Laphroaig 10 and Weller Special 12. WS 12 at $400 a pull might take me away or at least keep it close to the vest

For the record the most I've ever spent on Weller 12 is 50 bucks and I've probably bought 10 bottles. It's good but I would never pay over 80. If you have a nice liquor store you go to see if they have a list you can get on. Usually comes out in November. The most I have ever seen it for was 180 at a random Hyvee.

Cdiedrick

Jun 26, 2014
In all honesty, I just like to find stuff that tastes good and is unique regardless of price. Try finding things when you go out of state. Currently I have Johnny Drum bourbon, glenlivet French oak 15, some German schnapps and a similar Hungarian liquor (very strong), some moonshine and a bottle of tres generaciones

edit: Long shot I know, but if anyone has a line on some bootleg templeton let’s talk.
I just got two bottles three weeks ago.

Ozclone

Dec 12, 2009
I've heard JW Blue is good, but I wouldn't spend $200 on a blend that tastes like a $50 single malt. If you're a scotch guy, Lagavulin 16, any Ardbeg, Laphroaig 10, Talisker 10, Aberlour A'bunadh, Glenfarclas 105.

If you're buying Scotch look for some from any of the distilleries on Islay. Usually it'll say on the packaging.

Honestly, unless you have tried Islay Scotch and know you like the heavy smoke, I would be careful with going this route.

You might want to consider two different regions if you want to stock two Scotches. Islay will be heavier on the smoke (can be like drinking a campfire) definitely a personal taste kind of thing. Speyside is a nice counter such as:

My go to as of late has been Balvenie.

Balvenie among many others is a good Speyside to contrast with an Islay.