Top Shelf Liquor

mdk2isu

Jan 30, 2013
Not of this World
Bourbons/ whiskeys, if you can find them:. Col. EH Taylor bottled in bond, Blanton's (good luck), any Weller's (again, good luck). Mitchers, Russells, Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare, Larceny

Not to brag, but I currently have both a bottle of Blanton's and a bottle of Weller Special Reserve in my cabinet. Both are delicious.

Reactions: flynnhicks03

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
In all honesty, I just like to find stuff that tastes good and is unique regardless of price. Try finding things when you go out of state. Currently I have Johnny Drum bourbon, glenlivet French oak 15, some German schnapps and a similar Hungarian liquor (very strong), some moonshine and a bottle of tres generaciones

edit: Long shot I know, but if anyone has a line on some bootleg templeton let’s talk.
Agreed. Don't focus as much on if it's top shelf. Instead concentrate on if you like it. If what you like happens to be top shelf, then by all means, go for it, but price tag does not always equal quality.

Nader_uggghhh

Jul 11, 2017
Not to brag, but I currently have both a bottle of Blanton's and a bottle of Weller Special Reserve in my cabinet. Both are delicious.

I have 3 bottles of antique 107 and 2 bottles of 12 year :D I use special reserve as a mixing bourbon. Weller has been a hard find the last couple years but I've been able to find Blanton's pretty easily.

Reactions: mdk2isu

flynnhicks03

The Man That You Love to Hate
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
www.mapcon.com

I have 3 bottles of antique 107 and 2 bottles of 12 year :D I use special reserve as a mixing bourbon. Weller has been a hard find the last couple years but I've been able to find Blanton's pretty easily.

I've never seen either in central Iowa. Where did you guys find them?

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
If you're buying Scotch look for some from any of the distilleries on Islay. Usually it'll say on the packaging.

Also get some malort just to be an ass to your friends.

mdk2isu

Jan 30, 2013
Not of this World

Last December when Central City Liquor in DM had their 'open the vault' sale where they made all the hard to find and rare bottles they had gotten available (at retail prices!). I was fortunate enough to get 2 tickets and both got drawn. Thats how I got mine.

flynnhicks03

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
www.mapcon.com
Last December when Central City Liquor in DM had their 'open the vault' sale where they made all the hard to find and rare bottles they had gotten available (at retail prices!). I was fortunate enough to get 2 tickets and both got drawn. Thats how I got mine.

Crazy, I go to Central City all the time, and this is the first time I've heard of this. I just recently signed up for their email newsletter, though. Is that how you found out about this?

mdk2isu

Jan 30, 2013
Not of this World
Crazy, I go to Central City all the time, and this is the first time I've heard of this. I just recently signed up for their email newsletter, though. Is that how you found out about this?

I'm pretty sure that it was the email I saw the information on it. They had a bunch of stuff they sold that day. I know there was a Weller 12, couple Weller 107s, 4-5 of Weller Special Reserve, like 6 bottles of Blantons, 2 bottles of High West Midwinter Nights Dream, Glenfiddich Winter Storm, Henry McKenna BIB among many others.

Reactions: flynnhicks03

Nader_uggghhh

Jul 11, 2017
How much for one of the bottles of the 12 year?

Not for sale! I would trade one for a full proof or cypb but that's not a good trade for you lol. My rule of thumb is to have 3 bottles before I allow myself to drink any. Retail price for Weller went way up this year too. I paid 65 for a bottle of single barrel 107 and wasn't very happy about it.

I will say the 12 year is almost too smooth for me. Definitely a barrel proof guy.

mdk2isu

Jan 30, 2013
Not of this World
Not for sale! I would trade one for a full proof or cypb but that's not a good trade for you lol. My rule of thumb is to have 3 bottles before I allow myself to drink any. Retail price for Weller went way up this year too. I paid 65 for a bottle of single barrel 107 and wasn't very happy about it.

I will say the 12 year is almost too smooth for me. Definitely a barrel proof guy.

It was worth a shot. ;)

SayMyName

Jan 28, 2017
ABQ
Campustown. Ames, IA
Within the last 30 days

Screenshot_20200604-091235_Facebook.jpg

At least that's for Blanton's; they also carry Eagle Rare 10-yr. Still looking for sources of Weller's, EH Taylor, Elmer T Lee,etc. Fan of BT bourbon here.

Reactions: Nader_uggghhh

flynnhicks03

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
www.mapcon.com
Campustown. Ames, IA
Within the last 30 days

View attachment 72463

At least that's for Blanton's; they also carry Eagle Rare 10-yr. Still looking for sources of Weller's, EH Taylor, Elmer T Lee,etc. Fan of BT bourbon here.

Interesting. I didn't even know that liquor store existed. I'll have to check it out. The Col. Taylor WAS fairly common around Des Moines 6 months ago. Central City used have it all the time. You could even get it at the Fareway in south Ankeny. I don't see it as often anymore. It's really good, though.

cyguy9320

Nov 26, 2006
Tried to limit my picks to stuff that is typically easy to find

Vodka - Stoli
Bourbon - Four Roses Small Batch or Single Barrel, Elijah Craig
Rye - Whistlepig, Sazerac
Scotch - Lagavulin 16, Talisker 10
Irish - Green Spot
Gin - The Botanist, Hendricks
Tequila - Don Julio (take your pick on blanco, reposado, or anejo)
Rum - Plantation

Reactions: IceCyIce

Nader_uggghhh

Jul 11, 2017
Campustown. Ames, IA
Within the last 30 days

View attachment 72463

Pretty sure Cyclone liquor almost always has EH Taylor small batch and single barrel. I haven't seen much Elmer T Lee this year.