***Official 2019-2020 Transfer Thread***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

bthebutcher

Sep 8, 2015
You seemed to say, "Oh, they're just going after rangy wing types who can switch everything as a crutch because they can't teach real defense."

Well, everybody wants that crutch right now. How much of it is a crutch against bad coaching and how much of it is intelligent roster construction?

Can one really tell the difference sometimes? One could spin that as an intelligent adjustment against their own shortcomings. If you got a hook, aim right.

You are right about last year just being an unmitigated disaster.
The larger point here is what is to be done in a situation where the personnel isn't there to switch everything. Continue switching everything regardless?

As our football coach says, "Players, formations, plays".

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
The larger point here is what is to be done in a situation where the personnel isn't there to switch everything. Continue switching everything regardless?

As our football coach says, "Players, formations, plays".
Usually there is a call for what you're going to do for each scenario, play, lineup, etc. Guard to guard could be a switch. Guard to big could be an ice, a trap, a shade and get back, a full on switch. That's where it's so important to watch film, pay attention / ask questions in practice and not just nod your head yes, and dive deep into the scouting report. Those are such little things that can make you go from a poor defender to an average defender.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
I think Johnson, JCL, and the freshman will help our defense a lot. And not because I think they are great defenders, I just think Jacobson at the 4 killed us on defense. We somewhat have the problem of having too many guys who are solely 5’s again, but we at least have guys who can play the 4 now. I’m hoping Foster has the ability to play the 4, but I think Johnson, Dubar, and Blackwell all can anyways.

Conditt is a bit of a wild card. I think he CAN be a better 5 than Young, and he even got his chance to prove it last year but wasn’t able to. I think he got very discouraged by his poor outing in his chance, he was obviously on a bad team which can be frustrating, and I think he was one of the guys hurt most by Halliburton going down. He’s great at finding small holes and slamming it in, but he didn’t have anyone who could find him soon enough after Halliburton got hurt.

There’s a ton of competition at the 4/5, and we still have two open scholarships. It’ll be interesting to see how it plays out. There could be a change up there between the start of the season and conference play.

Reactions: aobie

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
You seemed to say, "Oh, they're just going after rangy wing types who can switch everything as a crutch because they can't teach real defense."

Well, everybody wants that crutch right now. How much of it is a crutch against bad coaching and how much of it is intelligent roster construction?

Can one really tell the difference sometimes? One could spin that as an intelligent adjustment against their own shortcomings. If you got a hook, aim right.

No, I’m saying they need it, others want it.

If you’d like to call it intelligent roster construction, then we’ve lacked intelligent roster construction. Fit includes a roster in accordance to a staff’s strength.

But that’s an easy fix (they have imo). A bigger issue would be if they just lack getting 18-23 year olds to buy into defense being as critical as scoring.

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA

While they had attitude or off court issues at times, I remember the athleticism when we had several guys 6'5"-6'8" in 88-89 with guys like Mark Baugh, Sam Mack, and Elmer Robinson. Those athletes could switch without mismatch and were athletic enough to press.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
While they had attitude or off court issues at times, I remember the athleticism when we had several guys 6'5"-6'8" in 88-89 with guys like Mark Baugh, Sam Mack, and Elmer Robinson. Those athletes could switch without mismatch and were athletic enough to press.

We need to be able to switch on defense. Length is key to this upcoming season IMO. Our offense will be good no matter what but this coaching staff can't figure out ball screen defense unless we can switch

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
We need to be able to switch on defense. Length is key to this upcoming season IMO. Our offense will be good no matter what but this coaching staff can't figure out ball screen defense unless we can switch
Anything that gets our defense off balance has been an issue, as our rotations just are not tight. I agree ball screens are often the instigator of that, but our doubling of the post has been poor.

Add Gach and Smith to Johnson, JCL, Dubar, and Blackwell and we will have the length, plus Conditt and Foster have the length at the 5 spot to help clean up. Tre and Bolton can be good on-ball defenders too.

Although we have the bodies to be very good, if we just get to top-65, we’re probably in the tournament. If we come closer to maxing our on defense (which would mean top-40 defense imo) like in 2016-17, we could be very good. I just don’t see any way Prohm doesn’t have a top-50 offense with a team that gets stops. We had top-50 with no stops (less easy transition buckets), two centers, a shooting guard that couldn’t shoot, and no pg for 9 games.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
We had top-50 with no stops (less easy transition buckets), two centers, a shooting guard that couldn’t shoot, and no pg for 9 games.

That was hilarious.

Fun how we still pulled that off, though, right?

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
That was hilarious.

Fun how we still pulled that off, though, right?
That’s how bad our defense was.

I do think you can be pretty good in metrics based on season accumulation of possessions and still lose a lot of games in this conference. Should result in low luck ratings, but it’s not actually luck

bthebutcher

Sep 8, 2015
Usually there is a call for what you're going to do for each scenario, play, lineup, etc. Guard to guard could be a switch. Guard to big could be an ice, a trap, a shade and get back, a full on switch. That's where it's so important to watch film, pay attention / ask questions in practice and not just nod your head yes, and dive deep into the scouting report. Those are such little things that can make you go from a poor defender to an average defender.
tenor2.gif

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
FB_IMG_1591375882751.jpg

First time I've seen a date for the NBA draft. It sure puts some players in an interesting position. Also wonder what ncaa does with their deadlines. Can you still opt out up until a week before?