Need a new water softener

acody

Nov 25, 2006
Our 10 year old Sears Kenmore water softener has a leaking valve. Due to age, it may not be worth fixing. Any thoughts on replacement brand recommendations or plumbing contractors to install it in Polk County Iowa?

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
I put in a GE one I got at Home Depot. The install was pretty simple and it had good reviews. I haven't had any problems with it in the 2 years I have had it.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Just get a Whirlpool brand at Lowes and find a plumber to install. Don't really see the value of the expensive units when a basic water softner does just as good of a job IMO. If you really want to improve your water quality too install a whole house water filter when you do it and you'll be amazed just how much those filters will keep from going through all your appliances and fixtures. I have a friend with a plumbing business that does great work and is very reasonably priced if you want to try him: https://mptplumbing.com/ I think somewhere on his facebook page he has a picture of the water softner with whole house water filter install he did at my home too.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Our 10 year old Sears Kenmore water softener has a leaking valve....

Just replaced our 13 year old Kenmore and wanted to replace it with another one until I found out Sears doesn't sell them anymore.
Researched all the brands and got quotes from expensive guys (Culligan, Kinetico) all the way down. Came to the conclusion that it didn't make sense for me to spend big money on the highest rated models.
Ended up buying an EcoPure out of the Twins Cities on line for $398. It has the exact same look of my old Kenmore. Easy to install because of that.

Reactions: Neptune78

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
I worked for Culligan years ago. Always repairing those things. Maybe they are better now. But here in Omaha we have a company called Futuramic. I bought their water softener 21 years ago and still works perfectly. About two years ago I had to have it serviced, wasn't much, and now it keeps running like clockwork. I doubt they would come to Des Moines to install one, but I'm sure any plumber could put in in for you. Installation is pretty simple actually. Need a water line running in and another one out.

josh4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 3, 2012
Ames, IA
Addie water systems, speck plumbing in Ames installed it for me. Better price than others and my plumber said they have been making the same basic model for years, you will always be able to get parts for it.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I guarantee any of you guys having issues with hard water if you installed a whole house water filter you would notice a big difference when you pair with any run of the mill big box store water softner. You are supposed to change these filters every 4-6 months. This video is on well water and over a year. I can tell you I change mine on city water every 4-6 months and they never look nearly that bad but mine go in white and come out very rusty looking. This is the same filter system I use too which is called Big Blue.

josh4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 3, 2012
Ames, IA
I guarantee any of you guys having issues with hard water if you installed a whole house water filter you would notice a big difference when you pair with any run of the mill big box store water softner. You are supposed to change these filters every 4-6 months. This video is on well water and over a year. I can tell you I change mine on city water every 4-6 months and they never look nearly that bad but mine go in white and come out very rusty looking. This is the same filter system I use too which is called Big Blue.

Good call on mentioning the whole house water filter. Mine has a clear housing so you can see what the filter looks like with our taking it out. I replace mine about every 2 months.

IceCyIce

Aug 17, 2009
Grimes
You totally pay for it, but great units. I've had 2.

Just got the wife a kinetico system for christmas. The guy in Des Moines talked me into the dechlorinator as well. Oh well looking forward to getting soft water again after moving into a home without it.

IceCyIce

Aug 17, 2009
Grimes
I got the dechlorinator as well. anyoune have this installed in theor house? It's basically a $1000. Just courious if it's worth the money or did I go over the top .... Again. I've got a couple days before they install.

IceCyIce

Aug 17, 2009
Grimes
You must be young which includes not cleaning water spots from dishes showers and not worried about appliance longevity

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
Hot take: I hate soft water.
We moved into a new house a few months ago that doesn't have a water softener. I miss it from our old house so we will be putting one in our new house soon. I didn't realize how much I liked having it until I didn't have it. My hair feels way more coarse and my skin is more dry. I also have to use more soap to get clean.

Reactions: IceCyIce

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
We moved into a new house a few months ago that doesn't have a water softener. I miss it from our old house so we will be putting one in our new house soon. I didn't realize how much I liked having it until I didn't have it. My hair feels way more coarse and my skin is more dry. I also have to use more soap to get clean.

I just don’t like how itfeels like the soap never gets rinsed off.