MBB Non-Conference Schedule announced

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Weak schedule is good for a team with so many new faces coming off a poor season. Learn to play together and build confidence and chemistry. More time to get more guys minutes and see what we have and who works together.

This^ There could be 6 or 7 new players in the top 9 rotation and 3 starters. They need to build chemistry and define role especially with the COVID-19 likely delaying their summer prep time. The schedule isn't at all sexy but needed this year more than most.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
I don’t trust us playing any A&M school. Prairie View A&M, Texas A&M, Alabama A&M, it doesn’t matter, I’m scarred for life.
Historically bad loss for the program, and an outlier in CBB for the past decade or so. Maybe the worst in the modern era of ISU MBB.

I’m still very confident it’s an outlier, but it’s hard to say there are games we can’t lose.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
There are plenty of challenging teams listed already, so filling in with possible cupcakes is probably pretty good this year.

But never sleep on North Carolina A&T. They were the random programmer powerhouse on an old March Madness game!

cyclonepower

Oct 5, 2006
WDM
interesting that the emerald coast classic is a friday/sunday format, I know a couple of the ESPN early tournaments do the thursday, friday, sunday format...hopefully it doesnt coincide with our WV fball game...Only other thing I noticed was friday night nov 13 followed by home fball game Saturday against Baylor, nice little weekend

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Emerald coast classic is a solid tourney but the schedule is kind of a bummer, I usually take that entire Feast week off to watch the tournaments. It'll suck not getting to watch ISU until Friday.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
I don't worry about that. If you take care of business things work themselves out.

In addition you are going to have 14 opportunities against NCAA tournament type teams within the Big 12. Last time I check Lunardi has five teams as #4 seed or better in his bracket projection (05/12/20). Get some wins in the non-conference 9-4 or 10-3 and then find a way to get to 9-9 in the conference.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
I don't see how it is weak. 3-4 losses depending on who they play in the SEC. And who knows, maybe another home upset to a crappy team.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I don't see how it is weak. 3-4 losses depending on who they play in the SEC. And who knows, maybe another home upset to a crappy team.
Agreed, I wish we played Iowa in the middle of the conference season instead of early on. The team is gonna need time to gel.

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
I’m sorry but this schedule is atrocious. You can play “cupcakes” and not have them be the bottom two Kenpom teams from last year. Then you add in Alabama A&M who’s at 343 and that’s just way too many bottom feeders. You better win at least two of our marquee games or we are ****** before conference play even starts.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
At least we only have one non conference game that should get ugly, other than the Emerald coast classic.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I’m sorry but this schedule is atrocious. You can play “cupcakes” and not have them be the bottom two Kenpom teams from last year. Then you add in Alabama A&M who’s at 343 and that’s just way too many bottom feeders. You better win at least two of our marquee games or we are ****** before conference play even starts.

For a big 12 team, who you beat isn't really important. Just can't lose more than 3/4 non con games, have to set yourself up for an 18/19 win season, so you need 9/10 wins before league play starts. If you win 8 or 9 big 12 games, you'll have all the resume you need. NET rankings have changed things from the old RPI days. It's made it much easier for p6 teams to get in. For a team with the question marks we have, this schedule sets up perfect.

Reactions: mjdivine

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
For a big 12 team, who you beat isn't really important. Just can't lose more than 3/4 non con games, have to set yourself up for an 18/19 win season, so you need 9/10 wins before league play starts. If you win 8 or 9 big 12 games, you'll have all the resume you need. NET rankings have changed things from the old RPI days. It's made it much easier for p6 teams to get in. For a team with the question marks we have, this schedule sets up perfect.
Totally agree. It’s changed a lot even in the last 3-4 years. And definitely much harder for the UNIs and Drakes of the world to get in.