ISU Athletics Staff Member Tests Positive

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
I don’t know, if I was an administrator I wouldn’t want to have to call mama and tell her her boy is on a respirator 700 miles away and don’t come up because she can’t see him anyway. We’ll send him back to you in a nice box if he doesn’t make it.

Seriously, can we have a candid conversation about the “real” risk of an individual age 18-21 of dying from Co-Vid 19 if they contract it. What are those percentages at this point?

Do we know if 18-21 year olds have any sustained effects such as lung capacity after they recover?

Those are two fairly critical questions and I would have to believe the answer to the first is less than .3% and the answer to the second is “likely No” but once again I’m not sure if we have enough data.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
So no one dies from the flu/colds every winter? No one is forcing the players to play that aren't wanting to. No one is forcing the fans to go to the game. Just as no one is forcing you to go outside and no one is forcing you to get in your car to drive.

I know you're a good guy and I appreciate your care/thoughtfulness on this issue. I just happen to disagree and that's okay. Doesn't mean I'm a RWNJ but if it makes you feel better to label me, then fine.

I get a little hung up on it being players' decisions. If one doesn't want to play, do they lose their scholarship, i.e. is there a plan to have them redshirt?

Because that in some ways is forcing them to play if that's how they can afford to be in college. Also performance for NFL prospects makes it a tricky deal.

For the record not arguing this...just one more thing to consider.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
Yeah I think that article does a pretty good job of pointing out that the disease is in fact serious. We should not take this lightly, however the risk of young people dying from this thing is incredibly low. I'm far more worried about the coaches, trainers, media members, administration members than I am the student athletes.

Agreed. The risk to everyone around the players is the real issue. Before Covid, the players were taking the most risk since they were playing the sport. Now it's the other way around. It's more likely a coach is going to catch it and die than a player.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
"I cannot address these points so I am just going to pose."

Football is dangerous. If you really had the courage of your convictions about the safety of the players, then you should not be watching it at all... vote with your eyeballs and your wallet... and you should be chastising us for enjoying it when young men put themselves at preposterous risk of serious long-term injury or death in playing it.

But you don't. You just want to take cheap shots.

getting a football injury playing football is not the same thing as contracting Coronavirus from playing football. I know you know how dumb you sound when you spew that line.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
If you don't consider this news I'd be interested to know what you do consider news.

This is the first test to see if we're gonna be able to have sports, or hell, in person classes on campus, this fall. Every school in the country is gonna watch how this plays out.

ISU is not first in having kids sick. Not by a long shot. All eyes are NOT on ISU to see how we handle this.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Agreed. The risk to everyone around the players is the real issue. Before Covid, the players were taking the most risk since they were playing the sport. Now it's the other way around. It's more likely a coach is going to catch it and die than a player.
Far more likely.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
There’s an area between death and full recovery. Lung damage, immune system damage, respiratory distress that may never go away. You talk like COVID is either you die or you’re fine. That’s false.

But is there data to support your point that 18-24 year olds have sustained these long term issues. I’m not sure you can have reliable data either way at this point give that the first infections were only 4-5 months ago.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
getting a football injury playing football is not the same thing as contracting Coronavirus from playing football. I know you know how dumb you sound when you spew that line.

Stepping out your front door everyday is risky. Might not come back.

You are just as dead from a broken neck on the field as you are from a runaway respiratory infection. Except the former is probably much more likely for this population.

I do not know why you insist one type of risk/death is categorically more important than the other when the quantitative evidence is not on your side.

Do you have any numbers to support your position? Why do you get to arbitrarily decide on qualitative grounds that one is somehow worse than the other?

You have no idea how dumb you sound when your argument is just emoting.

I will never understand how you insist that certain types of injury like car accidents and injuries while playing are just fine because "that's just playing football" so they can be zeroed out in your consideration while only your preferred ones get attention.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
Seriously, can we have a candid conversation about the “real” risk of an individual age 18-21 of dying from Co-Vid 19 if they contract it. What are those percentages at this point?

Do we know if 18-21 year olds have any sustained effects such as lung capacity after they recover?

Those are two fairly critical questions and I would have to believe the answer to the first is less than .3% and the answer to the second is “likely No” but once again I’m not sure if we have enough data.

Here is a good link for that data:

https://data.cdc.gov/NCHS/Provisional-COVID-19-Death-Counts-by-Sex-Age-and-S/9bhg-hcku

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
But is there data to support your point that 18-24 year olds have sustained these long term issues. I’m not sure you can have reliable data either way at this point give that the first infections were only 4-5 months ago.

Exactly my point..,the plan is to just “roll the dice”, which is not a plan at all.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Do you have some information on this? I've never heard weight as a direct indicator to high risk. I've heard obesity is though.

Also, you are framing this from a point of the athletes are forced to go back. Are they? I honestly don't know if they'll lose their scholarship or not if they don't return.

Like kids are going to feel like they have to play. I mean we know kids with injuries want to play, even when they have concussions. It is up to the people in charge to look our for the kids they are making millions and millions of dollars off of and look out for the community. The fact alone that ADs want to put thousands of people in the stands and put people's lives at risk shows that they care about money and not the student athlete and in fact it shows you that these aren't student athletes that the NCAA claims they are.

Technically some of those lineman are obese. And really even if there is a small chance they are hospitalized is it worth it just for adults entertainment? At what point is your entertainment worth more than someone's health? And what if it turns out there are long term effects we don't even know about yet?

What percentage of risk to a student's health is acceptable to you for your own entertainment? Again, and it is just their health, it is everyone they could pass it to. Coaches, Staff, other students, professors. Last time I checked you couldn't pass a knee injury and concussion to other people.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I get a little hung up on it being players' decisions. If one doesn't want to play, do they lose their scholarship, i.e. is there a plan to have them redshirt?

Because that in some ways is forcing them to play if that's how they can afford to be in college. Also performance for NFL prospects makes it a tricky deal.

For the record not arguing this...just one more thing to consider.

Agreed. In a later post I asked the same question. Are they forced? I'd think they should be able to retain their scholarship if they're not ready to come back.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I don’t know, if I was an administrator I wouldn’t want to have to call mama and tell her her boy is on a respirator 700 miles away and don’t come up because she can’t see him anyway. We’ll send him back to you in a nice box if he doesn’t make it.

Mental health break...

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
Was this kid one of the thousands partying at Party Cove at Lake of the Ozarks last week? Sure looked like a lot of fun!

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
Stepping out your front door everyday is risky. Might not come back.

You are just as dead from a broken neck on the field as you are from a runaway respiratory infection. Except the former is probably much more likely for this population.

I do not know why you insist one type of risk/death is categorically more important than the other when the quantitative evidence is not on your side.

Do you have any numbers to support your position? Why do you get to arbitrarily decide on qualitative grounds that one is somehow worse than the other?

You have no idea how dumb you sound when your argument is just emoting.

I will never understand how you insist that certain types of injury like car accidents and injuries while playing are just fine because "that's just playing football" so they can be zeroed out in your consideration while only your preferred ones get attention.

ding ding ding

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Like kids are going to feel like they have to play. I mean we know kids with injuries want to play, even when they have concussions. It is up to the people in charge to look our for the kids they are making millions and millions of dollars off of and look out for the community. The fact alone that ADs want to put thousands of people in the stands and put people's lives at risk shows that they care about money and not the student athlete and in fact it shows you that these aren't student athletes that the NCAA claims they are.

Technically some of those lineman are obese. And really even if there is a small chance they are hospitalized is it worth it just for adults entertainment? At what point is your entertainment worth more than someone's health? And what if it turns out there are long term effects we don't even know about yet?

What percentage of risk to a student's health is acceptable to you for your own entertainment? Again, and it is just their health, it is everyone they could pass it to. Coaches, Staff, other students, professors. Last time I checked you couldn't pass a knee injury and concussion to other people.

It's not for my entertainment. I have the same thoughts/opinions towards the Hawkeye football program and they sure as hell don't entertain me. It's for the quality of life and learning to live with this virus yet manage/reduce risks as possible.

Sure you could argue those linemen are obese but I'd imagine they're all on a diet plan and are getting health checks much more often than the average person. If we start to just treat Covid risks in a vacuum, then we're ignorant to all other risks we already take.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid

Research is in the early stages of studying the long term effects.

"Physicians have also found evidence of scarring in Covid-19 patients' lungs. According to Parshley, some CT scans show Covid-19 patients have light gray patches on their lungs called "ground-glass opacities," which don't always heal. One Chinese study found the patches in 77% of patients, Parshley reports."

"While it's too soon to tell whether the lung damage in Covid-19 patients will be permanent, research shows that about one third of survivors of similar coronaviruses such as SARS and MERS had long-term lung damage."

https://www.advisory.com/daily-briefing/2020/06/02/covid-health-effects

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019

There is a huge difference between a 350 pound obese person and a 350 pound college football lineman.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019

I never expect you to attend another Iowa State sporting event again. It would be for your entertainment and bad things could happen. I don't want your entertainment to be worth more than an athletes health. You could watch someone break their leg like Alex Smith and almost die.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron