Both Gach Transfer Target

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
My TOP 5 guesses would be:
Today
Tomorrow
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
(Sorry, couldn't resist.) Hope it is soon!!

d3bksee-670ebb5b-4af3-44d0-b188-c91a79a940c1.jpg

Reactions: tim_redd

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
I know this is not where this goes but Leech is on the move again. This time heading to Ottumwa. He will kill it for the Warriors.

Is that confirmed? I haven't seen that posted anywhere. Would be excited to see him play next year if that's the case.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Did we though?

Side note -- did it ever really end?

It's a joke! Don't make this a political thread.

The line between history, journalism, and politics can be fine, but I would consider this more of a historical question than a political one at this point.

Nobody really gets that passionate about foreign policy in the Eisenhower administration anymore, even if it was a pretty hot issue back in 1960.

I would argue there are at least two cold wars from a historical perspective, and I could make a case for three (and plus two more recent ones proceeding now).

Cold War Zero between 1917 and 1933. The stated policy of the United States and many of the other Western powers after the October Revolution was to simply not recognize Lenin and the Bolsheviks as the legitimate rulers of what used to be the Russian Empire and then the Russian Republic. This included supporting the White side in the Russian Civil War, diplomatic isolation and trade embargoes after Red victory, and attempts at subversion in Russia by Western intelligence agencies and support for various international and national communist and anti-colonial movements by Lenin and Stalin. Passions eventually cooled and everybody kind of gave up on the idea of Russia going back to the old ways by the 1930s, and FDR recognized the Soviet Union as a legitimate country in 1933.

There was a definite rapprochement between the West and the Soviet Union in the 1930s, despite the various horrors of Stalinism perpetuated at the time, culminating in renewed trade, Lend-Lease, the alliance against the Germans, and allowing the Soviet Union a veto on the U.N. Security Council at the San Francisco Conference.

The First Cold War is the "classic" period of the Cold War of Dr. Strangelove, North by Northwest, and Fail Safe fame. It runs from roughly 1945 through the early 1970s and climaxes with the Cuban Missile Crisis and the Space Race.

After competing with each other on virtually every economic, military, and political front almost gets everybody killed with the whole Cuba thing and the cost of all this starts to break Washington and Moscow's backs, both sides eventually cool off, start respecting each other's right to exist, and begin some collaborative projects related to scientific and engineering research and restart of trade. Historians usually call this era of a more peaceful relationship détente, and it runs through the U.S. presidential election of 1980.

Then we have the Second Cold War after the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan, the Reagan defense buildup, and more aggressive measures by both sides to support allies throughout the world (e.g., American help for Afghan insurgents, Soviet and Cuban troops in Africa, etc.) before that ends because of the collapse of the Soviet Union and another period of general cooling. The Americans/the West really did win that one.

Then you know how it goes -- the end of history, Russian finally joining the West once and for all, maybe even eventually being invited into NATO.

Then that all kind of went away.

The historian in me wants to call our current relationship with Russia the Third Cold War. We have clearly restarted the geopolitical and ideological competition that marked the first two... or three, depending... of them in the last century. I would argue we are in one with mainland China just as much, and that really the main one right now.

So historically...

0 = tie
1 = tie
2 = clear American/Western victory
3 = ongoing
new 1 with China = ongoing

1-0-2 with two counts still with the jury

Last edited:

mdk2isu

Jan 30, 2013
Not of this World
The line between history, journalism, and politics can be fine, but I would consider this more of a historical question than a political one at this point.

Nobody really gets that passionate about foreign policy in the Eisenhower administration anymore, even if it was a pretty hot issue back in 1960.

I would argue there are at least two cold wars from a historical perspective, and I could make a case for three (and plus two more recent ones proceeding now).

Cold War Zero between 1917 and 1933. The stated policy of the United States and many of the other Western powers after the October Revolution was to simply not recognize Lenin and the Bolsheviks as the legitimate rulers of what used to be the Russian Empire and then the Russian Republic. This included supporting the White side in the Russian Civil War, diplomatic isolation and trade embargoes after Red victory, and attempts at subversion in Russia by Western intelligence agencies and support for various international and national communist and anti-colonial movements by Lenin and Stalin. Passions eventually cooled and everybody kind of gave up on the idea of Russia going back to the old ways by the 1930s, and FDR recognized the Soviet Union as a legitimate country in 1933.

There was a definite rapprochement between the West and the Soviet Union in the 1930s, despite the various horrors of Stalinism perpetuated at the time, culminating in renewed trade, Lend-Lease, the alliance against the Germans, and allowing the Soviet Union a veto on the U.N. Security Council at the San Francisco Conference.

The First Cold War is the "classic" period of the Cold War of Dr. Strangelove, North by Northwest, and Fail Safe fame. It runs from roughly 1945 through the early 1970s and climaxes with the Cuban Missile Crisis and the Space Race.

After competing with each other on virtually every economic, military, and political front almost gets everybody killed with the whole Cuba thing and the cost of all this starts to break Washington and Moscow's backs, both sides eventually cool off, start respecting each other's right to exist, and begin some collaborative projects related to scientific and engineering research and restart of trade. Historians usually call this era of a more peaceful relationship détente, and it runs through the U.S. presidential election of 1980.

Then we have the Second Cold War after the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan, the Reagan defense buildup, and more aggressive measures by both sides to support allies throughout the world (e.g., American help for Afghan insurgents, Soviet and Cuban troops in Africa, etc.) before that ends because of the collapse of the Soviet Union and another period of general cooling. The Americans/the West really did win that one.

Then you know how it goes -- the end of history, Russian finally joining the West once and for all, maybe even eventually being invited into NATO.

Then that all kind of went away.

The historian in me wants to call our current relationship with Russia the Third Cold War. We have clearly restarted the geopolitical and ideological competition that marked the first two... or three, depending... of them in the last century. I would argue we are in one with mainland China just as much, and that really the main one right now.

So historically...

0 = tie
1 = tie
2 = clear American/Western victory
3 = ongoing
new 1 with China = ongoing

1-0-2 with two counts still with the jury

Come for the transfer talk. Stay for the history lesson.

Also, we are still undefeated!

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
View attachment 72346
Side note... Friday girl is all grown up now.
Very interesting story about her (Rebecca Black). She won a contest in which she would record a song / music video and it ended up making her rich pretty quickly as many people simply played that music in a satire way. However, she ended up essentially getting bullied out of her own school due to it and had to be home schooled.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
I saw the list and thought the Toronto Blue Jays made the list and I got excited. I was like they don’t even play basketball. Then realized a second later it was Creighton.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Daniels analysis on Gach's list

"Maryland, Creighton, Iowa State, Auburn and Minnesota are the final schools alive for Gach, who did not announce when he would make an official decision. Gach will sit out the 2020-21 season due to NCAA transfer rules, barring a waiver. The former 4-star prospect according to 247Sports' experts averaged 10.7 points, 3.6 rebounds and 2.9 assists per game for Utah last season on 39.7% from the field. Daniels reported that Gach intends to apply to the NCAA for a waiver in an attempt to play immediately at his new school.

Minnesota and Iowa State are the semi-hometown options, as Gach played high school basketball for Austin (Minn.) before taking a prep year at Chandler (Ariz.) Compass Prep. Austin, Minn., is just under a two-hour drive from the Twin Cities and just over two hours from Iowa State's campus. Auburn has been active in the transfer market but has not landed a transfer so far this offseason, while Maryland has added Galin Smith from Alabama and Jairus Hamilton from Boston College. Creighton has already added a big guard in Duke transfer Alex O'Connell, but O'Connell is a grad transfer and thus eligible to play immediately. Minnesota has a pair of transfers in the frontcourt in Liam Robbins (Drake) and Brandon Johnson (Western Michigan), while Iowa State added former Memphis point guard Tyler Harris and former DePaul wing Jalen Coleman-Lands.

Gach did not have offers from any of the five schools currently on his list when he was coming out of high school in the 2018 class. While Gach was a bit under the radar nationally and thus didn't receive a ranking in the 247Sports Composite, 247Sports ranked him as the No. 149 prospect nationally, the No. 37 small forward and No. 2 player in Arizona. Gach was a part-time starter as a freshman for Utah in 2018-19 and scored 7.7 points per game before starting 25 of 27 games for Utah last season as the Utes went 16-15 and 7-11 in the Pac-12. Gach scored 14 points and grabbed six rebounds in Utah's upset of Kentucky in Las Vegas on Dec. 18."

https://247sports.com/Article/Utah-...-Golden-Gophers-Maryland-Terrapins-147747928/