***General Cycling Thread***

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
Something that I don't think has been mentioned is make sure you buy a helmet! Try a bunch of them on, make sure they don't rub weird, etc. Make sure it's comfortable.

Two times a helmet has protected me:
1) I managed to crack a helmet shell mountain biking while riding a relatively benign section of trail that I'd ridden probably 30+ times before with zero incidents. There was a little exposed section of roots that I caught just wrong, tipped me sideways and I ended up bouncing my head off a log on the ground.

2) Riding a sort of narrow bridge over a wet spot and culvert, and managed to drop the front wheel off the boardwalk just before the culvert, and proceeded to go over the handlebars face first into the dirt with the helmet probably helping prevent me from breaking my nose. Lessons learned: Wear a helmet and don't look to far ahead down the trail!

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Something that I don't think has been mentioned is make sure you buy a helmet! Try a bunch of them on, make sure they don't rub weird, etc. Make sure it's comfortable.

1) I managed to crack a helmet shell mountain biking while riding a relatively benign section of trail that I'd ridden probably 30+ times before with zero incidents. There was a little exposed section of roots that I caught just wrong, tipped me sideways and I ended up bouncing my head off a log on the ground.

2) Riding a sort of narrow bridge over a wet spot and culvert, and managed to drop the front wheel off the boardwalk just before the culvert, and proceeded to go over the handlebars face first into the dirt with the helmet probably helping prevent me from breaking my nose. Lessons learned: Wear a helmet and don't look to far ahead down the trail!

My Giro is getting pretty old. I don't totally buy into the sells pitch to replace your helmet all of the time as they aren't sitting out in the elements to the point they really deteriorate. But still, maybe time for a new one. Did some looking and local shops seem to be a little down on selection and sizes, part of the sells boom I guess. Seeing a lot of "out of stock" . These are all made in China so maybe that is impacting things a little to.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
105 is good stuff. Tiagra is, as well, but I'd go for 105 unless it is cost prohibitive. It's usually not much of a price leap and it's good stuff.

I'm essentially down to one of the CAADX 105 models and the Synapse Disc 105. Basically it'll come down to which is more comfortable for me at this point and if I could get them to just swap the tires out on the X to the Synapse tires. It just seems like the bang for buck in the CAADX 105 with hydraulic disc brakes and the 105 package is really good. The Synapse is the same so depending on comfort it's likely be one of those two.

Another question. From what I read the GRX components are maybe geared a little lower? Is this correct. The CAADX1 is also intriguing to me. I have a lot of elevation changed near where I live so I can make some really nice 10 and 20 mile rides with a lot of hills. Then I will also go ride trail without a ton of elevation and when I read I just keep coming back to the 105 or Tiagra as what I want for that mix.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

Yeah, the helmet thing will be interesting. I have a huge melon so I'm guessing I'm going to get to spend more money than I want on one.

Reactions: cyclonesurveyor

ISUCHIEF

Feb 4, 2008
CB
Does anyone have any suggestions for a fairly inexpensive Bluetooth speaker that can either fit in a bottle holder or attach somewhere for more leisurely riding?

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I'm essentially down to one of the CAADX 105 models and the Synapse Disc 105. Basically it'll come down to which is more comfortable for me at this point and if I could get them to just swap the tires out on the X to the Synapse tires. It just seems like the bang for buck in the CAADX 105 with hydraulic disc brakes and the 105 package is really good. The Synapse is the same so depending on comfort it's likely be one of those two.

Another question. From what I read the GRX components are maybe geared a little lower? Is this correct. The CAADX1 is also intriguing to me. I have a lot of elevation changed near where I live so I can make some really nice 10 and 20 mile rides with a lot of hills. Then I will also go ride trail without a ton of elevation and when I read I just keep coming back to the 105 or Tiagra as what I want for that mix.
GRX is a gravel groupset that has a cluch on the rear mech. and lower gearing. Perfectly fine for road but will suit you better on bumpy and hilly rides that are encountered on gravel and dirt roads/paths. Some are available in 1 or 2 front chainwheels. I prefer 2 because I do a lot of road riding. Watch the video for some good info.

Have you looke at the Topstone?(Cannondale)

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Does anyone have any suggestions for a fairly inexpensive Bluetooth speaker that can either fit in a bottle holder or attach somewhere for more leisurely riding?

I just ziptied an Anker soundcore 2 to my handlebars. Works pretty well and gives more than enough volume for yourself or a group.

Reactions: ISUCHIEF

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
GRX is a gravel groupset that has a cluch on the rear mech. and lower gearing. Perfectly fine for road but will suit you better on bumpy and hilly rides that are encountered on gravel and dirt roads/paths. Some are available in 1 or 2 front chainwheels. I prefer 2 because I do a lot of road riding. Watch the video for some good info.

Have you looke at the Topstone?(Cannondale)

I did but it looks to me like the gravel version of the Synapse and I'm not looking for a gravel bike. You'd then wonder why I may be looking into the CAADX and the reason is from what I've read, that'll get me into a higher level road frame with the 105 and hydraulic disc for what looks like a very reasonable price. Then I have a really versatile bike where if I get into gravel or off road stuff, I'm set up, or I've got a really good base to have a really good road bike.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I did but it looks to me like the gravel version of the Synapse and I'm not looking for a gravel bike. You'd then wonder why I may be looking into the CAADX and the reason is from what I've read, that'll get me into a higher level road frame with the 105 and hydraulic disc for what looks like a very reasonable price. Then I have a really versatile bike where if I get into gravel or off road stuff, I'm set up, or I've got a really good base to have a really good road bike.
If you can get 105 and hydraulic brakes for a similar price it sounds like a smart move. I've heard good things about the CAADX. The Synapse is an "endurance" bike and the CAADX is a Cyclocross bike. Different geometries and both good bikes. If you ride the CAADX, and like it, I like the versatility. I've ridden neither myself.

I have an endurance bike because I'm 50+ and getting older every day. I was looking at Synapse but never rode one. A buddy has a cyclocross bike and loves it.

cyclonesurveyor

Jan 26, 2009
Fort Collins, CO
Yeah, the helmet thing will be interesting. I have a huge melon so I'm guessing I'm going to get to spend more money than I want on one.

I am in this boat too. I just bought a Smith Signal with MIPS (large), only $60. Only helmet I have had that doesn't make my head look like Dark Helmet.

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle

I'm in the same boat actually. I wear somewhere around the size of an 8-1/4" fitted hat (translation: I don't wear hats because 99% of them don't fit me and I don't think I've ever found a fitted hat that isn't extremely uncomfortable).

I'm drawing a blank on what I've got in the closet at home for a helmet. I know there are actually a couple of dedicated sites for those that are cranially endowed. Did take me a couple of tries to find one I liked though.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
If you can get 105 and hydraulic brakes for a similar price it sounds like a smart move. I've heard good things about the CAADX. The Synapse is an "endurance" bike and the CAADX is a Cyclocross bike. Different geometries and both good bikes. If you ride the CAADX, and like it, I like the versatility. I've ridden neither myself.

I have an endurance bike because I'm 50+ and getting older every day. I was looking at Synapse but never rode one. A buddy has a cyclocross bike and loves it.

Yeah the CAADX 105 with hydro discs is the same price as the Synapse 105 with mechanical discs. I'm not that concerned about the hydro vs mechanical. If the CAAD just isn't comfortable, I'll go the other way. I'm hoping I find that one comfortable since $1800 seems likes a like a great deal for a bike that can last me a long time with upgrades here and there no matter how good I get.

I have spent a long time researching bikes. I never had any clue there was so much to it and I haven't even cracked the $2000 barrier or the bike components world outside of full builds. Given my propensity to constantly mess with my golf equipment, I imagine this is going to be an expensive adventure going forward.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

I can help with this one! My FIL has a Buckshot and we just ordered one. Straps on cleanly and doesn't take up room.

Reactions: ISUCHIEF

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I’ve been talked in to cycling today as well. Hope the OP hasn’t gone too far down the rabbit hole. PULL THE TRIGGER

I got down in there quite a ways. I know far too much about the subject now.

Pulled the trigger Saturday. 2019 Cannondale Synapse Disc 105. I liked the ride positon and geometry better than the CAADX and they didn't didn't even have the CAADX I wanted in my size so that made the decision real easy. Went for a short ride yesterday and liked it. I'm amazed at what it does on the hills, or at least what it did on the small hills. Of course, my legs are diesel powered so I'm built for the hills, not so much speed. Found a helmet that fit, went with the more expensive dual pedals as well. Now I really only need an under the seat bag and I should be set as far as necessities.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
I got down in there quite a ways. I know far too much about the subject now.

Pulled the trigger Saturday. 2019 Cannondale Synapse Disc 105. I liked the ride positon and geometry better than the CAADX and they didn't didn't even have the CAADX I wanted in my size so that made the decision real easy. Went for a short ride yesterday and liked it. I'm amazed at what it does on the hills, or at least what it did on the small hills. Of course, my legs are diesel powered so I'm built for the hills, not so much speed. Found a helmet that fit, went with the more expensive dual pedals as well. Now I really only need an under the seat bag and I should be set as far as necessities.

Nice!

I have these on all my bikes for under seat. Big enough to hold a bike universal tool, tire levers, a spare tube, and CO2 cartridge. Usually like $25 on amazon.

https://www.topeak.com/global/en/products/saddle-bags/134-aero-wedge-pack-dx

Reactions: Gunnerclone

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Nice!

I have these on all my bikes for under seat. Big enough to hold a bike universal tool, tire levers, a spare tube, and CO2 cartridge. Usually like $25 on amazon.

https://www.topeak.com/global/en/products/saddle-bags/134-aero-wedge-pack-dx

I will vouch for Topeak as well. Their stuff has Always lasted a long time for me. As far as other gear recommendations I have (I’m a 5000 mile a year rider and a lot of that is gravel, grass, rock/dirt double track, along with a lot of on the street riding):

Arkel (packs)
Jannd (packs)
Twin Six (clothing/accessories MInneapolis based Co.)
Brooks (seats/leather)
Burley (trailers/kid carriers)

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I will vouch for Topeak as well. Their stuff has Always lasted a long time for me. As far as other gear recommendations I have (I’m a 5000 mile a year rider and a lot of that is gravel, grass, rock/dirt double track, along with a lot of on the street riding):

Arkel (packs)
Jannd (packs)
Twin Six (clothing/accessories MInneapolis based Co.)
Brooks (seats/leather)
Burley (trailers/kid carriers)

Really appreciate it. I may look into a new saddle for a Xmas present or something. I spent enough on the bike for now, though, so it'll be a little bit. I may also look into putting hydraulic brakes on after awhile. I'm pretty mechanically inclined so doing it myself, maybe I can do it somewhat reasonably. It's not a big deal but while we were down there we bought my mom a Quick with hydraulic and just messing around, I could tell they were a step up. That's the one thing I sacrificed on this bike.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Really appreciate it. I may look into a new saddle for a Xmas present or something. I spent enough on the bike for now, though, so it'll be a little bit. I may also look into putting hydraulic brakes on after awhile. I'm pretty mechanically inclined so doing it myself, maybe I can do it somewhat reasonably. It's not a big deal but while we were down there we bought my mom a Quick with hydraulic and just messing around, I could tell they were a step up. That's the one thing I sacrificed on this bike.

Ya wear those mech brakes out and then upgrade. Your seat is the most important thing that will dictate how much fun you have and how much you get out of your riding. Brooks is the alpha and omega of seats. I’ve been on a B17 for 15 years now. The same B17.