Any drummers out there?

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
Drummer for over 20 years, for your price a Yamaha stage custom, Tama or Ludwig. I drum on Ludwig that’s 15 years old still a good set. Cymbals and heads are what get you or a nice double bass pedal and quality cymbal stands get pricey too. New Ludwig sets come with Remo pinstripes so that’s a bonus right out of the box. My drum heads are all Remo coated emperors pearl snare and Zildjian A custom cymbals. If you want the kit, cymbals, stands, etc all for 600, I’d buy a used set if you find one of those brands with everything for that. My Ludwig set was my live/recording kit. Good drum heads make a huge difference.

Reactions: demoncore1031

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
Drummer for over 20 years, for your price a Yamaha stage custom, Tama or Ludwig. I drum on Ludwig that’s 15 years old still a good set. Cymbals and heads are what get you or a nice double bass pedal and quality cymbal stands get pricey too. New Ludwig sets come with Remo pinstripes so that’s a bonus right out of the box. My drum heads are all Remo coated emperors pearl snare and Zildjian A custom cymbals. If you want the kit, cymbals, stands, etc all for 600, I’d buy a used set if you find one of those brands with everything for that. My Ludwig set was my live/recording kit. Good drum heads make a huge difference.
I haven't found a good used set but have been looking. I think I'll probably spend $700 or so on a decent kit and then slowly upgrade everything when I can afford to. I definitely want to get a China cymbal eventually. My old drummer had one and it sounded great for the style of music that we played.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I haven't found a good used set but have been looking. I think I'll probably spend $700 or so on a decent kit and then slowly upgrade everything when I can afford to. I definitely want to get a China cymbal eventually. My old drummer had one and it sounded great for the style of music that we played.
China cymbals are typically the most expensive cymbal you will buy. You can get some expensive rides and crashes as well.

clonehenge

Apr 14, 2006
Do any of you own/play an electronic kit? A friend of mine is trying to talk me into going that route because "it's cheaper and they sound just as good."

I don't own an electronic kit but played one years ago. Might be good for you because I think you can adjust the tone/sound to get the sound you're looking for...so it might be easier to get that metal sound you want. And the ones I've heard do sound pretty good.

Surprised they're cheaper, thought they were more expensive.

On a separate drumming note, I mentioned Jay Weinberg earlier in the thread, if you have Twitter he's worth a follow. He posts lots of drum cam videos and it's just amazing to watch him play. His skill just blows me away but then again I'm just an amateur.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
Do any of you own/play an electronic kit? A friend of mine is trying to talk me into going that route because "it's cheaper and they sound just as good."

Not a drummer. Electronic kits, and the cymbals especially, have really come a long way. My understanding is that there might be real drums underneath all the samples in modern metal, but it is just as likely to be all V-Drums. Plus, there’s a volume control.

I don’t think it’s any cheaper to get a nice set of electronic drums - probably the opposite - and you definitely don’t want to go cheap. For a young player, I think there’s a lot of value to playing the real thing; in my experience, there is a lot of nuance and dynamics that don’t come through on even the nicest e-kits.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
No matter how good electronic drums sound, no matter how nice it is to control volume and sound, you cannot beat the sound and feel of a finely tuned actual drum set with quality heads and cymbals.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
No matter how good electronic drums sound, no matter how nice it is to control volume and sound, you cannot beat the sound and feel of a finely tuned actual drum set with quality heads and cymbals.

I can’t play any instrument for **** but have done live audio production in the past. You are 100% correct. Nobody great performs with e-drums. There’s a reason for that.

Reactions: cyclonedave25

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
I held off on buying a kit until a few days ago. A good friend of mine bought a brand new Pearl kit and sold me his old Yamaha. It included the bass drum, snare, three toms and two floor toms. I ordered Meinl cymbals, Gibraltar stands and DW3000 double bass pedal. Might eventually get triggers, but I have mixed feelings about those.

Last edited:

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
I bought a cheap set <$600 20 years ago and still play it. In that time I upgraded the snare and all the cymbals, which cost about $1,500. Since I'm old and boring now I don't much but wanted a nicer set in the $2,000 range. After thinking about it I bought a Roland electronic kit. I hardly ever play my acoustic kit anymore.

Here's my take: if you focus on the minor details you'll always want a nicer kit. That's whatswhat drummers do.

Should you pay More now to not have that regret and want something better in a few months or a year?

Last edited:

do4CY

Aug 30, 2020
Gonna revive this thread for some advice. My 4th grade son wants to learn to play the drums. Do any have recommendations on how to start teaching him. I don't think my 2 years as a percussionist in 5/6th grade 20 some years ago is going to be much help. I don't think making him watch drumline will help either.

We are planning on getting him a cheap 3 piece set to make sure he likes it first. And we already have a cowbell.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I would say some sticks, a couple of practice pads and some lessons. If he sticks with it for a few months then you can think about getting a drum kit.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Gonna revive this thread for some advice. My 4th grade son wants to learn to play the drums. Do any have recommendations on how to start teaching him. I don't think my 2 years as a percussionist in 5/6th grade 20 some years ago is going to be much help. I don't think making him watch drumline will help either.

We are planning on getting him a cheap 3 piece set to make sure he likes it first. And we already have a cowbell.
He’ll hate it, but taking piano lessons helps immensely with coordination. (Not sure if its changed but way back when I was in grade school, you had to take 2 years of piano before you could play percussion in school).
Get him a snare drum to learn the basic rudiments and stick handling. (Practice pad if you want to keep your sanity). Get him some basic lessons. Don’t just get him a drum set and toss him on it, it’ll be a waste of money.