Iowa Football Recruiting

Legend Hawk

Sep 2, 2018
thats...not how recruiting works. You don’t offer a kid then if he doesn’t commit on the spot, he no longer has an offer. So what if Bruce never committed and Bell doesn’t commit, would iowa have taken only 2 WR’s? Since apparently all the other WRs they offered no longer have a “committable” offer

Obviously you don't know how recruiting works at all. For instance Iowa offered Bollers a scholarship. At some point Iowa or Bollers felt they weren't a match so the two moved on from each other. Same here with Noel. Iowa had 4 WR they felt really good about, they have signed 3 of them. Noel wasn't part of that group as they moved on from each other. If Iowa would have only signed 2 of them and still wanted a 3rd, they likely would have moved onto the next tier of WR they were going to offer. Much like they will do if Fidone picks another school, Iowa will move onto the TE's they like most next.

Why do some think this is odd or weird, it happens all the time in recruiting.

DhaCheann

Mar 31, 2012
Denver, CO
Obviously you don't know how recruiting works at all. For instance Iowa offered Bollers a scholarship. At some point Iowa or Bollers felt they weren't a match so the two moved on from each other. Same here with Noel. Iowa had 4 WR they felt really good about, they have signed 3 of them. Noel wasn't part of that group as they moved on from each other. If Iowa would have only signed 2 of them and still wanted a 3rd, they likely would have moved onto the next tier of WR they were going to offer. Much like they will do if Fidone picks another school, Iowa will move onto the TE's they like most next.

Why do some think this is odd or weird, it happens all the time in recruiting.

probably because I was a 4 year starter in college and went through the recruiting process.

Iowa doesn’t offer 11 WRs and a handful of athletes that will play WR, but only say “eh, even though we offered 15 of you to play WR, we’re actually only interested in these 4”

Reactions: CyTwins

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
If it’s offers that matter, how do you feel about 10/14 of Iowa State’s commits having one or zero P5 offers? You must really hate this class that CMC is putting together.

Well, they ALL had one P5 offer at least (ISU). And a majority have at least one more P5 offer on top of that. Funny how now the goalposts have moved to where you have to have 2 offers in addition to ISU to be worth a crap. I mean, how many other P5 offers did Brecht or Llewellyn or Bowie have when ISU offered them? Zero. But now since iowa wants them, they are good players. Cooper DeJean has zero other FBS offers, much less P5, and he would be rated higher on 247 than any of ISU's commits. It's all in the eye of the beholder. It only takes one staff to fall in love with a player and how he would fit in their system. Just like it takes one national recruiting guy to get a kid a good ranking, because DeJean definitely did not earn that off of offers.

To answer your question, Campbell has earned the benefit of the doubt in recruiting with Cyclone fans just like Ferentz has with you guys.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
probably because I was a 4 year starter in college and went through the recruiting process.

Iowa doesn’t offer 11 WRs and a handful of athletes that will play WR, but only say “eh, even though we offered 15 of you to play WR, we’re actually only interested in these 4”

EVERYONE has a recruiting board hidden away somewhere in their facility (or online). You offer the guys that you think can help the team and fit into the system. If the guys at the top of the list commit somewhere else, you start recruiting the guy below him harder. Rivals has iowa offering 13 WRs and that's not counting Athletes that would play WR in college. There's nothing wrong with slow playing the guys at the bottom of their internal rankings while they wait for the top guys to decide. Everyone does it.

Now some schools cast a wider net and some use an "offer" more as a starting point to get in the door, then recruit harder when the relationship is more developed and the staff decides he is a fit. Contrary to some opinions, there's really not a wrong way to do it as long as they are being up front with the kid and not kicking out kids that are committed when someone better comes along.

Reactions: jksherman2

Legend Hawk

Sep 2, 2018

You will have to excuse me for not believing anonymous internet dude and his claims. Nothing personal, hopefully you understand. While I won't mock you for your claim, I'm also not going to believe you either.

If you don't understand that while recruiting certain kids move up and down staffs recruiting boards, I'm not sure what to tell you. The examples are just too numerous of kids saying that Iowa or ISU or whoever just isn't in contact any longer. Kids remove schools from recruiting process and teams remove players off their recruiting boards. Happens literally all the time. Heck according to all the Clone fans here CMC did that very thing to a committed kid in Twedt. So to pretend that Iowa wanted all of the WR they offered exactly the same is silly.

Legend Hawk

Sep 2, 2018
EVERYONE has a recruiting board hidden away somewhere in their facility (or online). You offer the guys that you think can help the team and fit into the system. If the guys at the top of the list commit somewhere else, you start recruiting the guy below him harder. Rivals has iowa offering 13 WRs and that's not counting Athletes that would play WR in college. There's nothing wrong with slow playing the guys at the bottom of their internal rankings while they wait for the top guys to decide. Everyone does it.

Now some schools cast a wider net and some use an "offer" more as a starting point to get in the door, then recruit harder when the relationship is more developed and the staff decides he is a fit. Contrary to some opinions, there's really not a wrong way to do it as long as they are being up front with the kid and not kicking out kids that are committed when someone better comes along.

LOL, maybe you should tell Matt Campbell. When ISU missed out on Llewellyn at TE, ISU still had offers out to 10 or so other TE recruits. How come instead of "recruiting those guys harder" CMC instead offered a new TE recruit and quickly got a commitment out of him?

To say that everyone a school has offered holds the same place on a recruiting board is really crazy talk. If anything the schools that "cast a wider net" should understand this even more. Lots of times during recruiting kids move down boards, and completely off of them. This is not new, and it also isn't going to change.

SouthernCy

Sep 8, 2019
With the Biglow decommitment, CMC now has the worst class in the Big 12. They’re striking out with all of the guys at the top of their board as well. Time to start filling the class with backup plans. Ouch!!

The hits keep on coming for ISU in this recruiting class.

Lol might get worse from here! Class is already 2/3 full and CMC is whiffing on the guys at he top of his board.

I’m making the point that this class stinks and it doesn’t look to be getting any better. How do you not understand that?

Woof....What some serious sh** takes by these trolls. Maybe better luck next time.

Reactions: CyTwins

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
You will have to excuse me for not believing anonymous internet dude and his claims. Nothing personal, hopefully you understand. While I won't mock you for your claim, I'm also not going to believe you either.

If you don't understand that while recruiting certain kids move up and down staffs recruiting boards, I'm not sure what to tell you. The examples are just too numerous of kids saying that Iowa or ISU or whoever just isn't in contact any longer. Kids remove schools from recruiting process and teams remove players off their recruiting boards. Happens literally all the time. Heck according to all the Clone fans here CMC did that very thing to a committed kid in Twedt. So to pretend that Iowa wanted all of the WR they offered exactly the same is silly.

Yes the recruit with twice as many P5 offers than your best WR recruit moved down Iowa's list lol.

Noel eliminated Iowa Bollers eliminated Iowa. Fidone eliminated Iowa State. This isn't complicated

Legend Hawk

Sep 2, 2018
Yes the recruit with twice as many P5 offers than your best WR recruit moved down Iowa's list lol.

Noel eliminated Iowa Bollers eliminated Iowa. Fidone eliminated Iowa State. This isn't complicated

I came out and said Iowa only WR targets were Brecht, Bruce, Johnson and Bell. At the time I said it, ISU was very much still in play for 2 of those guys. If ISU got them, I would have said ISU got 2 WR recruits Iowa wanted. As it is, Noel just wasn't part of that group that Iowa wanted any longer. Not a big deal, that stuff happens all the time in recruiting. Kid looks super solid, might be one of the few really good gets for CMC class this year.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I came out and said Iowa only WR targets were Brecht, Bruce, Johnson and Bell. At the time I said it, ISU was very much still in play for 2 of those guys. If ISU got them, I would have said ISU got 2 WR recruits Iowa wanted. As it is, Noel just wasn't part of that group that Iowa wanted any longer. Not a big deal, that stuff happens all the time in recruiting. Kid looks super solid, might be one of the few really good gets for CMC class this year.

You also said Iowa was only taking two WR and they already have three and apparently want one more. You're really dialed in on this one! Lol

Legend Hawk

Sep 2, 2018
You also said Iowa was only taking two WR and they already have three and apparently want one more. You're really dialed in on this one! Lol

Word is Johnson can go offense or defense, but wants to start on offense. I doubt we get Bell, and if we don't we are done at WR with just those 3. Recruiting is fluid, things change.