Status
Not open for further replies.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I hope rural water works well for you, when they ran by my place I passed on it. My biggest expenses on the well are some chlorine pellets, the top electrical box and the pressure switch since they don't just sell the contact points anymore. But then I do have a softener in the house though.
Even with the massive softening system in our house we still had problems with high mineral content that overly aged our water using appliances (washer, dishwasher, refrigerator, water heater and toilets). We would also have to clean out the heads of the showers and the lines to the washer frequently due to a build up of silt. We were facing a complete replacement of our filtering system when the last neighbor on the lane (we are 5th, she is 6th) approached us about sharing the cost of extending the rural water to her house (and ours) - split the cost of the main line, and each of us pay for the hookup to our own house). The line stopped at the 3rd house, so we had to bring it past the 4th house (who opted out). Per the water company, if he decides to hook up later (trying to avoid the cost of laying the main line) they have it in their records, so he will have to pay 1/3 of the cost incurred when the line was laid and the two households that paid will be refunded back to paying just 1/3 rather than 1/2.

Overall, we've been happy with the water company AND the water quality.

Reactions: NWICY

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
First, do you want to plant new every year? That would be annuals like geraniums, marigolds, OR you dig every fall and plant in the spring - cannas. If you want some that reseed or regrow on their own, that would be perennials. - like coneflowers, tulips, columbine, etc.
Second, what size is your space and is it close to trees/bushes and/or your house or other building?
Based on your description, I think I'd spend most of my time in the fun garden. ;)

For starters - I'm lazy. I don't like high maintenance gardens. My garden is wild & messy & has weeds in it (gasp!). I prefer perennials that will come back each year, and will propagate themselves.
There are a lot of plants that will thrive in shade, but won't necessarily bloom as enthusiastically. Expect most of the time for the shade garden to be more green than anything else. I've worked on trial and error for my shady area. Iris & azalea struggled (except for the one azalea by the house, and it's VERY low to the ground, & does not bloom heavily), but the mini rhodedendron has done reasonably well (again, with more foliage than blooms). Hostas grow like crazy, but the blooming period doesn't last very long. Same with lilies. The columbines probably bloom the longest. I have a couple wiegelia, two bleeding hearts, and the rest is pretty much all lilies & hostas & columbines. Sweet Williams and Dianthus make nice little bordering plants and will keep blooming if you dead head them. There is one coreopsis that returns ever year, but is honestly kind of unenthusiastic. It spends too much energy trying to grow to reach the sun, and has none left for blooming, so the flowers end up looking like exaggerated orange eyestalks on a cartoon crab. :D

In the sunnier area down at the eastern end of the garden I have established the coneflowers. I also have rudebeckia (brown-eyed Susans) and blanket flowers down there, but they have not settled in as well as the coneflowers. One thing nice about coneflowers - once they bloom, the flowers stay for a month or more - unlike the lilies, that are a week and "outta there".

I planted sunflowers, dahlias, and marigolds in the other sections of the retaining wall (it's built like a tall terracing, with a long bed in each of the four sections. Time will tell how well they do, but supposedly the marigolds are not as attractive for deer munchies (which tends to be a problem in the lower two beds). With the exception of the iris and daffodils, everything out there is an annual. We're trying to decide what perennials to put out there. The only problem with those beds is that they are a loooooooong way from the spigot, and those hoses get HEAVY.

We are leaning almost strictly perinnials for the garden. Area is about 3 feet wide and 50 feet long. All of it runs along the house. There is a small, about 12 square foot space in the back around the AC that I will probably transplant the hostas to.

As far as work, need to get rid of the existing bushes, transplant or get rid of existing plants, get rid of river rock. Thinking we would put down the black mesh paper and mulch when we plant new plants. I hate weeding.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
We are leaning almost strictly perinnials for the garden. Area is about 3 feet wide and 50 feet long. All of it runs along the house. There is a small, about 12 square foot space in the back around the AC that I will probably transplant the hostas to.

As far as work, need to get rid of the existing bushes, transplant or get rid of existing plants, get rid of river rock. Thinking we would put down the black mesh paper and mulch when we plant new plants. I hate weeding.

Use plastic, works better than the fabric for keeping weeds out. Elmore nursery used that for us and it is a lot cleaner than our stuff with fabric.

SaraV

Staff member
Mar 13, 2012
Son and I watched Angel Has Fallen last night. This guy:
220px-Gerard_Butler_%2829681162176%29.jpg

Gerard Butler

was in it and we couldn't place what we had seen him in recently and when I googled, noting rung a bell and everything was 7-8 years or older. Not sure why we both thought they seemed familiar.

tenor.gif

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Must have just missed you - we drove in and DH says “you got something?” Some cute little babies :) Thank you! And if the coneflowers don’t recover, we have more.
Those stay very small - they spread like ground cover, but that's as tall as they get. You should be able to put them pretty much anywhere you have a gap.
The one with longer leaves looks like a little green carpet when it fills out. That's the edge off mine - it was encroaching on the azalea.
The other one will form a crown like regular hostas, but the leaves will not form a solid barrier. It acts more like a plantain than a hosta. Teeny tiny hosta bloom stems - really cute.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Rode bike. DND. @NWICY summary:
  • Riding streets and not the busy lakes paths is not so entertaining. :(
  • A number of 7-8 mph hills but no walk of shame although much heavy breathing and high pulse rate. #outofshape
  • Did see another old silver haired dude walking his bike up a hill.
  • One pit bull straining on his leash wanting a piece of me. **** that ****.
  • Rode last few miles with a cottonwood seed firmly lodged in my left eye. Hate em.
  • Took this **** pic at Ridgedale Shopping Mall.
Big-D construction cf scale.jpg

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
  • A number of 7-8 mph hills but no walk of shame although much heavy breathing and high pulse rate. #outofshape
  • Rode last few miles with a cottonwood seed firmly lodged in my left eye. Hate em.
View attachment 72313
ffh9ledx8hztssldxxkw.gif

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
View attachment 72313

You buy a new helmet to match your mustache?

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
You buy a new helmet to match your mustache?

My Giro helmet is way old, like me. Been window shopping the interweb for a new one. The Specailized one I want is out of stock. Think it's the stay-at-home bike boom plus all of these are made in China.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
My Giro helmet is way old, like me. Been window shopping the interweb for a new one. The Specailized one I want is out of stock. Think it's the stay-at-home bike boom plus all of these are made in China.
Made in China means you get a free ‘rona thrown in.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
@BoxsterCy just a simple 12 mile out and back trail ride for me and my cousin. It was a nice ride, still riding the fat bike. Cousin is getting faster I may have to break out the road bike, I like the work out I get on the Fat bike I get though.

Quick trip to Mn for work tomorrow. It's supposed to be a simple up and back we'll see how that works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron