The Two Powerhouse Football Conferences

Legend Hawk

Sep 2, 2018
Sure do. Iowa State had better wins and beat a top 25 team in a bowl game in their own house. AP voters got it right

Iowa had the better wins, and beat ISU. I do agree with the AP top 25, neither Iowa or ISU deserved to be in the top 25.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Did you think Lazard would get drafted?
Ya, I did and I think he has proven he can play in the league.

But there is a huge difference from not drafted to supposedly in the first 15 picks and then following out of the first round.
Many EIU fans had him going as the 2nd DE in the draft, which was no where near where he went.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Ya, I did and I think he has proven he can play in the league.

But there is a huge difference from not drafted to supposedly in the first 15 picks and then following out of the first round.
Many EIU fans had him going as the 2nd DE in the draft, which was no where near where he went.

You think it's worse to drop from a projected high first rounder to a high second rounder than it is to drop from a projected 4th rounder to not getting drafted?

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
You think it's worse to drop from a projected high first rounder to a high second rounder than it is to drop from a projected 4th rounder to not getting drafted?

Money wise there is no comparison, now if ISU fans were talking that Lazard was going to be a 2nd to 3rd round pick, and then fell out of the draft you would be right. Lazard has issues worrying about his speed, which he disproved at the combine, but it wasn't enough for a team to take him in the draft.
Its has worked out well for Lazard, I am sure not getting drafted made him work harder to prove the people wrong, that he could not play in the league, and he has done that.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Money wise there is no comparison, now if ISU fans were talking that Lazard was going to be a 2nd to 3rd round pick, and then fell out of the draft you would be right. Lazard has issues worrying about his speed, which he disproved at the combine, but it wasn't enough for a team to take him in the draft.
Its has worked out well for Lazard, I am sure not getting drafted made him work harder to prove the people wrong, that he could not play in the league, and he has done that.

McSchay said he could see Lazard going as high as the third. Consensus was around the 4th. That's quite a fall, especially money wise.

Back to the original point. By the time the draft rolled around it was clear that AJE's stock had dipped, most projections had him mid- to late-first round at the earliest. If you're listening to hok fans who at that time were saying he was a top-10 pick that's dumb on you. And it's no different or worse than ISU fans saying AL would go by the 4th and watching him not go at all.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

Just for clarity, what do you consider to be high? Top 75%? Because if you put his draft position in order from 1st being 100% to last being 0% for the second round, he would be 31%. I would consider high to be the 5-8 of the group.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Just for clarity, what do you consider to be high? Top 75%? Because if you put his draft position in order from 1st being 100% to last being 0% for the second round, he would be 31%. I would consider high to be the 5-8 of the group.

I'm fine saying mid-second rounder. Point remains the same.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
McSchay said he could see Lazard going as high as the third. Consensus was around the 4th. That's quite a fall, especially money wise.

Back to the original point. By the time the draft rolled around it was clear that AJE's stock had dipped, most projections had him mid- to late-first round at the earliest. If you're listening to hok fans who at that time were saying he was a top-10 pick that's dumb on you. And it's no different or worse than ISU fans saying AL would go by the 4th and watching him not go at all.

That's not dumb on me, that is just Iowa fans being arrogant Iowa fans. Totally on them, lets not bring the ISU fan base in on their stupidity.

Brodie0

Apr 1, 2020
Bump this thread for @TRYHARDER and @Brodie0

The "central mean" gives the most weight to the middle team(s) in the group and progressively less weight to teams as you go away from the middle in either direction, up or down.

So Sagarin gives extra weight to the median teams in each conference. The Big Ten is top heavy (five teams in the top 14), whereas the Big XII has few elite teams but more parity (only one team in the top 14, but five teams in the 15-30 range). Why would anyone be surprised that this particular methodology of rating conferences would rank the Big XII higher?

Last edited:

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
The "central mean" gives the most weight to the middle team(s) in the group and progressively less weight to teams as you go away from the middle in either direction, up or down.

So Sagarin gives extra weight to the median teams in each conference. The Big Ten is top heavy (5 teams in the top 14), whereas the Big XII has few elite teams but more parity. Why would anyone be surprised that this particular methodology of rating conferences would rank the Big XII higher?

Yes I'm aware Sagarin says the Big 12 is better than the Big Ten

CyHawk1605

Jun 22, 2020
The Big 12 and the SEC. I know everyone gives the Big Ten West a hard time for being so bad and rightfully so but it's crazy to realize the Big 12 is even better than the Big Ten East. Really it's the Big 12 and SEC and then everbody else way down the road

https://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/sagarin/2019/conference/
It’s ranking one half of a conference at a time. If they added the whole B1G together then it would change because you add 3 more top 20 teams.

• Disagree
Reactions: CyTwins