Both Gach Transfer Target

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
Ames is a college town. Minneapolis is a major city. Each have their advantages. Prohm isn't going to stoop to using current events as a recruiting pitch, that would be pathetic. And most recruits would probably not appreciate that type of recruiting tactic.
Anyone with stature in sales, recruiting, or negotiating would have subtleties and nuances to be successful. I presume CSP has these skills.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Ames is a college town. Minneapolis is a major city. Each have their advantages. Prohm isn't going to stoop to using current events as a recruiting pitch, that would be pathetic. And most recruits would probably not appreciate that type of recruiting tactic.

To be fair, he wouldn't even have to mention it. I can't imagine anyone in our country isn't aware of what's happening there right now, especially when your average player/recruit is a 17-22 year old AA. With that said, I don't think that's really going to impact a recruits choice, especially a kid like Gach who is familiar with the area. Things are ugly now but it will calm down eventually.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Think Minneapolis would be a tough sell currently.
Harder for Gophers to hate on Ames anyways.
Location is something they have to tackle, explaining the positives of Ames (Focustown?). Why would major current events not be a part of that? It can be done tactfully , as there are genuine advantages to being in an small, idyllic college town. Ames is more than just great water.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
If Steve can’t sell the virtues of Ames Iowa over Minneapolis Minnesota to a student athlete in this environment then there’s no hope for ISU basketball.
Dumbest thing I’ve ever heard.

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
Dumbest thing I’ve ever heard.

Yup. I grew up in Ames and attended ISU as an undergrad. It's a great college town, but the Twin Cities is also a great area providing everything a big city can provide without being unmanageably large. Plus he's only about an hour from there and is probably familiar with the city, more so than with Ames.

Hopefully, since he wants to play PG, Prohm's history with getting PG's into the NBA will win out.

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
I mean, I would take one Gach. Both of them would he a grand slam
His twin brother, Duoth, was actually the better player on his high school team in Austin. He had academic issues so he went to NDSCS where he was a Juco all American and school 3P record setter. He actually broke the previous record set by his older brother Gach Gach. Supposedly Duoth still has some classroom work to take care of to become elgible to transfer to D1, but it is obvious that there is some basketball talent in the Gach family.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
His twin brother, Duoth, was actually the better player on his high school team in Austin. He had academic issues so he went to NDSCS where he was a Juco all American and school 3P record setter. He actually broke the previous record set by his older brother Gach Gach. Supposedly Duoth still has some classroom work to take care of to become elgible to transfer to D1, but it is obvious that there is some basketball talent in the Gach family.

His brother shot 50% from three while breaking that record too. Sounds like he’s taking classes still, and will have to do more while sitting out this year before he’s eligible to go to a 4 year school or play. 6’5” SG

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
So is the inclination we get Gach and Duoth could follow next year as JCLs replacement?

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Maybe Prohm should mention the possibility of his brother going to DMACC to be close by, and have an offer for the next season.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Hopefully, since he wants to play PG, Prohm's history with getting PG's into the NBA will win out.

Agree. Since Utah wouldn't let him play the position, hopefully he'll feel his best chance to do so is in Ames. First step is making the top five on Monday.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Agree. Since Utah wouldn't let him play the position, hopefully he'll feel his best chance to do so is in Ames. First step is making the top five on Monday.

I mean, Top 5 is a lock. I’m just hoping we are the final 1.

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011
Maybe Prohm should mention the possibility of his brother going to DMACC to be close by, and have an offer for the next season.
I know this is not where this goes but Leech is on the move again. This time heading to Ottumwa. He will kill it for the Warriors.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
Yup. I grew up in Ames and attended ISU as an undergrad. It's a great college town, but the Twin Cities is also a great area providing everything a big city can provide without being unmanageably large. Plus he's only about an hour from there and is probably familiar with the city, more so than with Ames.

Austin to U of M: 1:40
Austin to ISU: 2:00

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Based on that opinion, you mean. They have JCL at effectively a Lewis grade last year, and trust me, Johnson would start over Lewis.

Go look at their stats, metrics, and watch the games. JCL as a wing with will need to improve in order to start over Johnson if we land Gach and Smith.

Seems like Prohm just wasted some time and effort recruiting him.

mjhavlo76

Jun 23, 2009
There is no doubt Gach is a stud! He'll play in the Association when it's all said and done...

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I don't think so. If we have more than 5 guys that are Big XII quality starters we'll be in pretty good shape.

Plus it gives the perpetually unhappy people a great arguing point on who should play. With TL gone, I wonder who will be the popular choice this year. Should be interesting, we've got Tre, who looks like he'll come off the bench ,Johnson is probably in the same boat in that case as well if we land another guard/wing, the frosh (esp. XF) or maybe even that George should be starting. If he does start, then Solo can fill that role. Lots of options for those folks.

I feel like Jackson will be the frontrunner, especially the first time he comes off the bench and hits 2 or 3 treys.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
Gach would be a huge addition. The more solid scoring options the better.